• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

@Whatever, I need your expert opinion

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] how do you tell if you're an alcoholic vs just might have a small problem with drinking?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I have to be somewhat amused at appearing in the thread title... I shall feel honored! :cheese:

there are always the checklists that appear online to assess your drinking problem level, but from a more personal viewpoint:

- you NEED a drink after a rough day... it's what you think about and feel like you deserve/need

- you may need a drink to fall asleep at night

- you drink to the point where you don't really remember the night before... and you don't always do it on purpose

- you feel uncomfortable in social situations without alcohol available

- you blow off family, friends, work or some other major responsibility or even hobby to drink instead

- you can't imagine celebrating or unwinding without immediately associating alcohol

- you drink to like yourself better/forget that you don't like yourself/your life

- you would rather drink by yourself or with strangers than spend an evening out with friends or family with no alcohol available

I have to say that if you have to question things though, you might have a problem :hug:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's because I've been rather open and honest about my problems on the site, I guess :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:laugh: I have to be somewhat amused at appearing in the thread title... I shall feel honored! :cheese:

there are always the checklists that appear online to assess your drinking problem level, but from a more personal viewpoint:

- you NEED a drink after a rough day... it's what you think about and feel like you deserve/need

- you may need a drink to fall asleep at night

- you drink to the point where you don't really remember the night before... and you don't always do it on purpose

- you feel uncomfortable in social situations without alcohol available

- you blow off family, friends, work or some other major responsibility or even hobby to drink instead

- you can't imagine celebrating or unwinding without immediately associating alcohol

- you drink to like yourself better/forget that you don't like yourself/your life

- you would rather drink by yourself or with strangers than spend an evening out with friends or family with no alcohol available

I have to say that if you have to question things though, you might have a problem :hug:

everything except blacking out and falling asleep fits

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it's alright. i have no money to drink anyways although if i hadn't told my therapist i'd take a break i'd probably run up debt. I still don't think %100 that i have a problem, i think it's getting out of hand but not a problem yet.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To be honest, if all but 2 things on that list apply you do have a problem... I should know since I listed my own personal symptoms there :blush:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah probably,but i'm not quite ready to admit it, i'm doing OK with saying i won't drink for a month, but saying i should quit all together is too much and makes me want to drink to oblivion, i want to do that now but i'm resisting. i don't think i can make it more than a month.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Start drinking coffee, it helps! And it takes some time to put things in perspective sometimes!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Drink coffee when you want to drink alcohol... I drink coffee when at the bar even (though I couldn't even go to the bar for a year! LOL) :laugh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oh I had been doing juice as a substitute. well just today. though i was tempted to put rum in it, and i'm sure i'd be tempted to add whiskey to coffee.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always drink the coffee with a lot of sugar... You get used to the substitution over time...all things take time :)

xisnotx

Permabanned
I have the same problem with weed..though im like a week into sobering up. You know its bad when you find yourself taking resin hits off the pipe..as has happened the last two days. I really hate drugs.
A week is the longest ive been sober for 4 months.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I love drugs, i'd do them in a house even with a mouse. I'd do them in a car that's inside a bar (well probably not, because i'd get arrested and I DUI)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually the checklist in the link on my first post is for all substance abusers. The personal list was only alcoholism because I am a recovering alcoholic :newwink:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
... And that part is the indication of the fact that you SHOULD! :laugh:

Life is a bitch like that...