• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting nervous & eating a bunch of crap

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
& then eating more from the momentum you built up, the momentum of eating.

Anyone ever done it?

gallons of bad, incongruent food.
Really makes you stop & think about things (once you've finished).

Ever heard of people digging up food they've already thrown in the garbage, & eating that for some reason? I read about some women who do it, it maked me sad :cry:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know people who eat more because they're nervous or bored. Or both. I don't know of any that go so far as to take food out of the garbage. That's disgusting! For me, if I'm too nervous, I usually lose my appetite.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i'm with [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] I also lose my appetite when i'm nervous. but eating from garbage disgusting, I get grossed out when i see homeless digging through the garbage barfalicisious

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can't eat when i'm nervous my stomach gets all knotted up and i have no appetite. i usually just chain smoke. much healthier lol.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was thinking about something similar the other day, along with metabolic rate. I realized that there are two conditions that need to be present in order to make me snack -boredom and relaxation. I don't get bored easily and the only time I can think of that I had these conditions met was when I had the most boring and low-stress desk job ever. I'd snack continuously for hours outside of meals. My coworker who was bit overweight used to comment on it all the time. She never snacked and would marvel at how I never gained weight. I don't really understand that either actually. Must've been just down to genes and metabolic rate. I don't snack at home.

When I'm nervous, scared, sad or depressed I lose my appetite and stop eating.

wolfy

awsm
I can always eat. I eat quick when I am excited. I just hammered my way through a salad, a curry and a bowl of pork soup for no good reason other than I was hyped up.  

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is really foreign to me. I forget to eat on a regular basis- I have to be really cognizant of "how much have I eaten today?" (and I forget to do that too.) When I'm anxious food goes out the window and I start melting away to nothing. I eat a lot more when I'm very happy and relaxed.

crayons

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
When I'm under high amounts of stress I love to eat trucks of junk food (and if that's not available the nearest healthy thing that tastes junk food ish). I've noticed writing a simple log of when I eat vs what my mood at the time was helps prevent the mass junk food eating from anxiety.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
I tend to eat tons whenever I am nervous or stressed. When it happens it's something that i have a hard time controlling so I try at least to eat healthy things when I do it.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes, this has been a real problem for me. Not just anxiety, but most negative feelings: depression, stress, loneliness, frustration, feeling trapped. I made some progress with it last year, but backslid this year. (Never eaten out of the garbage though...I kinda went 'yikes' when I first heard of people doing that. I assume they throw the food in the garbage to deter themselves from eating it, but then get too desperate to have it and it doesn't work).

I get why it's hard to understand, since anxiety often brings about loss of appetite. I've never wanted to eat either when I was in the midst of full-blown, heart pounding, shaky, queasy nervousness. The urge to eat something happens more when discomfort is starting to creep in around the edges of my consciousness, or when my mind is cycling through a lot of disturbing thoughts, or after I've had a minor meltdown and calmed down a bit. Then the eating numbs me and shuts off my mind.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i'm with [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] I also lose my appetite when i'm nervous. but eating from garbage disgusting, I get grossed out when i see homeless digging through the garbage barfalicisious

Oh these aren't homeless people, they're women, who are maybe..... 38 years old. Divorced, married, single (maybe for life because they want to have kids but they're too lonely to leave the house), watch TV a lot, maybe they work as a secretary.

& they throw food away, & go pick it out again later to eat. Its true, I read it-- USA today.

I remember I was a freshman in college & I got so nervous about almost failing a class I ate 4 ham-&-cheese sandwiches in a row-- who does that?? I was like 130 pounds then.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh these aren't homeless people, they're women, who are maybe..... 38 years old. Divorced, married, single (maybe for life because they want to have kids but they're too lonely to leave the house), watch TV a lot, maybe they work as a secretary.

& they throw food away, & go pick it out again later to eat. Its true, I read it-- USA today.

I remember I was a freshman in college & I got so nervous about almost failing a class I ate 4 ham-&-cheese sandwiches in a row-- who does that?? I was like 130 pounds then.
Yeah that's why they were men with beards and in smelly clothes

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I guess you're not called Funny Digestion for nothing. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT UR PEPOPLE I'M TLAKING ABOUT MY PEOPLE

dude, chill the fuck out

p.s. I think you need this
image-4.jpg

Pinker85

I relate to this. In my mid-teens I dealt with binge eating. While I haven't binge eaten in years I still consider myself a binge eater as I think it was a way of self medicating (drug addiction) and coping mechanism which I could fall back into were my emotional/mental health to deteriorate. Throughout the day I wouldn't eat much as I was really busy and super active but at night when my family went to sleep I'd plow through tons of food. I mean you can't even imagine how much food I'd eat! Because I was an athlete and always in really good shape my family never suspected a thing (or they never mentioned anything). It got to the point I felt so out of control I went to an overeaters anonymous support group I had found by doing a search online for "overeating". It was an amazing experience and helped me phenomenally. I was able to see so many aspects of myself in the other group members that I wouldn't have been able to be honest about by myself. I also came to understand that I was very anxious (I didn't even realize what I was experiencing was anxiety because it seemed so normal to me) and food was a way of numbing myself to the anxiety. But there was a lot of shame worked up into the eating which actually just triggered me to eat more to stifle the feelings of shame and numb myself.

And yes, I do recall eating food out of the garbage. It was a slice of cake I had thrown away (my mom had brought it back for me from a luncheon) and I recall reaching into the garbage can, taking it out, and eating it. I remember how shame filled and out of control I felt. How angry and disappointed with myself I was. And how I continued plowing through food after that to feel numb. If you had seen me on the street you would have never guessed I was a binge eater as I looked like and was a "model student athlete".

What has helped me the most has been accepting and loving myself - warts and all. Part of the anxiety was trying to live up to being "perfect" and feeling as if I couldn't be honest about my humanness. We all have issues. I don't care how "perfect" a person seems - get to know them and you'll see they are just as human as all of us. What matters is how we handle our issues and if we grow from the experience. I also found that a big trigger for me was refined sugars and grains. To feel more grounded and help my anxiety I got into yoga and that really seemed to help. I also practiced being with my anxiety and not trying to numb it - getting to know it texturally which was one of the harder aspects of getting my overeating under control but also so incredibly helpful for all areas of my life. In a way it was like facing a fear and trying to with time coach myself to not feel fear about the anxiety so I could let the textural experience happen and pass. Something I came to understand is how fleeting almost all emotional/mental states are if you don't feed into it.

Anyway, not trying to lay this at your door and label you anything. Just sharing my personal experience.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What has helped me the most has been accepting and loving myself - warts and all. Part of the anxiety was trying to live up to being "perfect" and feeling as if I couldn't be honest about my humanness. We all have issues. I don't care how "perfect" a person seems - get to know them and you'll see they are just as human as all of us. What matters is how we handle our issues and if we grow from the experience. I also found that a big trigger for me was refined sugars and grains. To feel more grounded and help my anxiety I got into yoga and that really seemed to help. I also practiced being with my anxiety and not trying to numb it - getting to know it texturally which was one of the harder aspects of getting my overeating under control but also so incredibly helpful for all areas of my life. In a way it was like facing a fear and trying to with time coach myself to not feel fear about the anxiety so I could let the textural experience happen and pass. Something I came to understand is how fleeting almost all emotional/mental states are if you don't feed into it.

Anyway, not trying to lay this at your door and label you anything. Just sharing my personal experience.

I've never tried yoga. I think I'd be too impatient to benefit-- I'd want to jump up & go do something else. Then again, impatience is the source of a lot of problems. I've never really binge-eaten, just sometimes I eat for no reason & don't stop. Usually it is due to anxiety in some form though. Thanks for the story :smile: