• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Working out barefoot: pros and cons?

D

Dali

Been considering this for a while.

And I don't mean pilates or yoga, I mean weights, cardio... the works.

I'd like to hear your views on this. Good for you, or more harm than good, in the long-run?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Been considering this for a while.

And I don't mean pilates or yoga, I mean weights, cardio... the works.

I'd like to hear your views on this. Good for you, or more harm than good, in the long-run?

I'm trying to figure out the pros of this.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] Any experience thus far?

It sounds like a really good setup to damage cartilage and get shin splints and other random injuries. What would the positive be here?

D

Dali

[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]s Apparently, experts deem cultures with the best 'foot health' to be those with a barefoot culture. When we walk in shoes, we strike with the heel, as opposed to the ball of the foot/mid-foot as we're supposed to do, contributing to orthopaedic problems. This might be anecdotal but I've heard of numerous people who've had various foot and ankle related problems (shin-splints, bunions, calf pain) lessen dramatically or go away when they shifted to spending considerable amounts of their day barefoot.

I was wondering whether working out barefoot could be an extension of that, or would that be pushing it?

I'd also like to hear from people with experience on this.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I know a significant amount of people that run in minimalist shoes or five fingers which can be reasonably compared to running barefoot. Everyone seems to prefer it. The issue, however, is to work up to it slowly. Get used to walking around in minimalist shoes first and then do some slower shorter runs and work your way up. It definitely appears to help in increasing the strength and stability of all of the little muscles that you otherwise wouldn't be using much and does give you a different kind of stride (better for you, in my opinion) that can take some getting used to.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think weight lifting is fine but cardio...I wouldn't do that. Too much impact for the knees.
Found an interesting article about working out barefoot.
Shoes Make You a Lesser Man

Through years of wearing shoes, our feet lose their tactile capacity, which is bad enough. But they also fail to develop to their proper size and shape. Tendons and ligaments shorten, muscles weaken, and the risk for foot and ankle injuries increases.

If it sounds like the ancient Chinese tradition of binding the feet, it kinda is. "It's identical, but to a lesser degree," Rooney says. "Shoes crush the foot into abnormal positions and you don't get the movement the foot is designed for."

And while that might be a puppy upper to the foot fetishists among us, it's a doggie downer when it affects your results in the gym.

Because your feet are the only point of contact between your body and the floor on most lifts, your lifting success depends, in part, on their proprioception — the sense of where they are in space. The more precisely they work to grip the floor, the better they'll help you activate the muscles farther up the movement chain.

Rooney believes that if you free your feet up, allowing them to move and react to the surface beneath them, your lifts will show commensurate improvement. "Just like strengthening the rotator cuff can improve your bench press, strengthening the lower limbs is going to let you run faster, jump higher, and lift more weight," he says. "Your numbers will go up."
Source: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ining_performance/go_barefoot_to_get_stronger

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I once saw an interview on the Daily Show with a guy who wrote a book on a isolated Mexican tribe who run ultra-marathons in sandals or barefoot even in old age:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

I haven't read it but it sounds fascinating. Apparently running barefoot does indeed seriously reduces injuries.

EDIT: I found the interview. Have a watch!

http://myveryownrunningblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/born-to-run-hidden-tribe-super-athletes.html

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Shoes are bad for your health, but they sure are convenient

I never run barefoot because every time I have tried, I ended up with lacerations (from many sources)

D

Dali

I know a significant amount of people that run in minimalist shoes or five fingers which can be reasonably compared to running barefoot. Everyone seems to prefer it. The issue, however, is to work up to it slowly. Get used to walking around in minimalist shoes first and then do some slower shorter runs and work your way up. It definitely appears to help in increasing the strength and stability of all of the little muscles that you otherwise wouldn't be using much and does give you a different kind of stride (better for you, in my opinion) that can take some getting used to.

Shall def be prudent about working up slowly as my feet's 'hidden architecture' 'rediscovers' aspects of it's self that have been atrophied by years of wearing shoes. I've lusted over the Vibram Five Fingers shoes for the past year or so but we don't have any stores that stock them in Kenya. :( Plus they don't ship here.

I think weight lifting is fine but cardio...I wouldn't do that. Too much impact for the knees.
Found an interesting article about working out barefoot.

Source: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ining_performance/go_barefoot_to_get_stronger

I love seeing articles like that. Looks like I'll start-out my barefoot gym regimen today. :D My only worry is having a 15kg dumbbell drop on my foot. I'd probably thrash half the gym in the ensuing hysterics. Hehehe. The only cardio I do is the elliptical machine which is relatively low-impact so I think I'm good on that front. :)

I once saw an interview on the Daily Show with a guy who wrote a book on a isolated Mexican tribe who run ultra-marathons in sandals or barefoot even in old age:

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

I haven't read it but it sounds fascinating. Apparently running barefoot does indeed seriously reduces injuries.

EDIT: I found the interview. Have a watch!

http://myveryownrunningblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/born-to-run-hidden-tribe-super-athletes.html

Fascinating! I'd love to get my hands on that book! Born to Run, indeed.

Shoes are bad for your health, but they sure are convenient

I never run barefoot because every time I have tried, I ended up with lacerations (from many sources)

Yeah, even if I were a runner (which I'm not. The elliptical works just fine for all my cardio needs), I'd never run barefoot outside. Too many variables.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I work out in Vibrams, which are essentially barefoot "shoes." They're really sort of just slippers. They're really for running but I don't have any problems with running or with weight lifting at all, moving to these has really helped my knees.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I'm motivated enough to do weights/mild cardio, I do them at home and I've never considered putting shoes on, it just seems silly. Haven't broken myself yet. I can't really imagine why you'd need them, although I suppose it might be different for more hardcore workouts?

Barefoot/minimalist shoe running makes sense to me intuitively, but I hate running and avoid it at all costs, so I haven't really researched it much, let alone tried it.

gromit

likes this
I used to run around barefoot all the time as a kid. I'd run on pavement, gravel, sand, broken shells. My feet were super tough.

I don't really want to do that in the city though. I have some minimalist shoes (similar to these) that I use for running on the sidewalk or doing stairs or hiking. I built up to it and seems to be fine. I typically run less than 3 miles at a time, though, as I prefer to do interval training over straight-up long distances. Hikes are usually 7-10 miles with significant elevation gain. I like them for hiking because I can wedge my feet into smaller places than with hiking boots and I feel like I get more information from my feet that way. I've never had a problem with needing ankle support with them.

I actually started to get shin splints from wearing my soccer cleats.

I think a lot of it depends on the person's feet shape, their stride, etc. Why not try and see how it goes? If you start getting injured, stop?

D

Dali

I work out in Vibrams, which are essentially barefoot "shoes." They're really sort of just slippers. They're really for running but I don't have any problems with running or with weight lifting at all, moving to these has really helped my knees.

I also have long-standing knee problems which I intuitively sense are aggravated by hampered proprioception of the foot. Hopefully, working out barefoot or VFF will help with that. Have just emailed the nearest store stocking them (VFF, not bare feet. lol) which happens to be in South Africa!. Hope I can get them to ship me a pair. Wish me luck.

When I'm motivated enough to do weights/mild cardio, I do them at home and I've never considered putting shoes on, it just seems silly. Haven't broken myself yet. I can't really imagine why you'd need them, although I suppose it might be different for more hardcore workouts?

I've heard some people mention that you need the extra stability afforded by sneakers when it comes to squats and lunges but I don't see why you can't strenghten the 'architecture' of your feet such that they accord you the same level of stability. (perhaps @Halla47 could enlighten us?)

I think a lot of it depends on the person's feet shape, their stride, etc. Why not try and see how it goes? If you start getting injured, stop?

I shall begin this evening. Wish me luck. Shall keep y'all posted.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]s Apparently, experts deem cultures with the best 'foot health' to be those with a barefoot culture. When we walk in shoes, we strike with the heel, as opposed to the ball of the foot/mid-foot as we're supposed to do, contributing to orthopaedic problems. This might be anecdotal but I've heard of numerous people who've had various foot and ankle related problems (shin-splints, bunions, calf pain) lessen dramatically or go away when they shifted to spending considerable amounts of their day barefoot.

I was wondering whether working out barefoot could be an extension of that, or would that be pushing it?

I'd also like to hear from people with experience on this.

Oh, wow. That's interesting. Seems anti-intuitive to me, but my mother always put me in the best shoes as a kid for exercise for the health of my legs and knees, (despite money being tight) so I see "running barefoot" and it sounds alien. I'm also a longer distance runner so it's expensive asics for me. I figure that if you take them away, your shins and knees will have to accept a lot of the shock that could dissipate in the shoe.

I wonder how this works for people with high arches vs. people with flatter feet.

Do you have a link?

D

Dali

[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] A Google search on the benefits of going barefoot should bring up a wealth of resources on the subject. I'd cull the more credible ones for you but I'm feeling kinda P-ish right now. :p

Perhaps tomorrow.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My only worry is having a 15kg dumbbell drop on my foot. I'd probably thrash half the gym in the ensuing hysterics. Hehehe. The only cardio I do is the elliptical machine which is relatively low-impact so I think I'm good on that front. :)
That is quite a scary thought. And it happens. Careful! Perhaps minimalist shoes are the best option.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've been lifting weights bare foot for years and never had any problems because of it.. I've never done any running that way, but then I've never done much running. Frankly, I'd be worried about bits of brocken glass and the like. I spend most of my free time bare foot. I prefer it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Oh, wow. That's interesting. Seems anti-intuitive to me, but my mother always put me in the best shoes as a kid for exercise for the health of my legs and knees, (despite money being tight) so I see "running barefoot" and it sounds alien. I'm also a longer distance runner so it's expensive asics for me. I figure that if you take them away, your shins and knees will have to accept a lot of the shock that could dissipate in the shoe.

I wonder how this works for people with high arches vs. people with flatter feet.

Do you have a link?

I would be interested in hearing more from you on this as well. :)

A recent summary article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html

It's not so much running barefoot that's important, but how running barefoot forces you to run with better form. Highly padded shoes make it easier to run poorly, if that makes any sense.