• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypC Stop Eating S*** Challenge

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My problem is that while I need to cut back on sweets (diabeetus!), I love baking them! I mean, it's kind of theraputic. :( I need to find some skinny people to feed my cakes and cookies and brownies to.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm swearing off sh*** today. Yesterday was a bad day for me. I had a cinnamon roll and 4 chocolate chip coookies equivalent of cookie dough. I felt like crap that evening and then started feeling very odd, almost like I drank a lot of Nyquil. Well, that Nyquil moment was actually pretty cool.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh no, I think you guys misunderstood - I eat those snacks IN ADDITION to my normal meals. Here's my most common diet:

Breakfast:
- 3 large waffles, heavily buttered on both sides
- Glass of rice milk

(chips/candy snacks)

Lunch
- Panda Express; two servings of orange chicken and chow mein
- Mrs. Fields cookie

(chips/candy snack)

Dinner
- Package of wheat free creme-filled oreos...I mean a family sized package.
- Large salad drenched in olive oil, avocado, anything fatty
- 5 spicy Tijuana Mama pickled slim jim sausages
- a pint of dairy-free soy ice cream
- glass of rice milk

Usually a few candy bars right before I sleep.

This is my DAILY diet, mind you. Good thing I have a high income, because I cost a friggin fortune to feed.

See what I mean about needing to eat healthier?

What the....

Okay, Ms. Ectomorph, good luck with that for sure. How's it going?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
From this point on, I am NOT going to eat ANYTHING with sugar in it - except gluten-free carbs and fruit. I want to stop being a sugarwhore and crack the addiction.

It's been ridiculous. Who the fuck eats 3 bags of chips and 5 white chocolate candy bars a day, every day? A sugar whore does. I may be underweight, but it's still not good for me.

I'm going cold turkey because I heard that after a certain number of days, you no longer even crave it. :nice:

But some sources say 3 days, others say 30 days. . .

What kinds of shit do YOU want to stop devouring?

Good for you! I highly recommend it.

I went off all processed sweeteners 5 months ago. Now I just have a tablespoon of raw local honey in my (extra black) coffee each day and that's it for me. I love it.

I had cravings for probably the first 3 weeks, but I also felt like I was starving for most of that time, and had a horrible headache for the first week (withdrawl's a bitch). After that I was fine. It helps that I think processed sweeteners are poison. Well, they're like alcohol, you know? A little bit (like in fruit or raw honey/maple syrup) can be good for you, but any more than that is NOT good for you. And it's addictive.

As for kinds of shit I still consume and want to stop: YAHOO "news". I'm fairly certain I get dumber each time I go to the home page, and my mental health declines when I click on one of those "articles", and it wastes time and does nothing good for me. It's shit for your brain. Really need to give it up.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im sure GG Allin would have something to say about this topic.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh no, I think you guys misunderstood - I eat those snacks IN ADDITION to my normal meals. Here's my most common diet:

Breakfast:
- 3 large waffles, heavily buttered on both sides
- Glass of rice milk

(chips/candy snacks)

Lunch
- Panda Express; two servings of orange chicken and chow mein
- Mrs. Fields cookie

(chips/candy snack)

Dinner
- Package of wheat free creme-filled oreos...I mean a family sized package.
- Large salad drenched in olive oil, avocado, anything fatty
- 5 spicy Tijuana Mama pickled slim jim sausages
- a pint of dairy-free soy ice cream
- glass of rice milk

Usually a few candy bars right before I sleep.

This is my DAILY diet, mind you. Good thing I have a high income, because I cost a friggin fortune to feed.

See what I mean about needing to eat healthier?

I wonder how your progress is now? ...

Dear God seeing this menu makes my tummy hurt... If I ate that much sugar I'd have a kid-on-halloween tummy ache for sure..

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
Not eating unhealthy food has a lot more to do with what you do eat than what you don't. You can either fight temptation every single time you have the option to eat something unhealthy, but there is a better way and that consists of 2 things:

1) Proactively eating healthy food first

This is why I say it's more about what you eat than what you don't. The key here is response time. If your diet was a house, your apetite would be your house on fire and the sooner the fire department comes, the less damage is done. The same applies to eating healthy and that is why you need to be proactive. Plan on being hungry and keep your diet solution simple.

When you start to think about icecream or cheeseburgers and can't get it off your mind, immediately go eat a salad, a piece of fruit, or at the very least drink a glass or two of water. After you eat it, it doesnt matter how good or bad it tasted, all you will remember is how full or hungry you are. Ironically, unhealthy food often spends hours in your digestive system and can be uncomfortable to digest, yet that is what we prefer only if for a few seconds of a good taste. Healthy food, on the other hand, helps our digestive system and feels good for hours after we've eaten it. On some level, you know this, so this step is merely the practical application of that knowledge--skip the mental wrestling match over how good that donut would taste and skip to having healthy food in your stomach as fast as possible, and you'll find you can conquer your cravings much easier.

2) Change the palette of what you feel like eating

This often comes with weeks or even months of eating better and it's all about our relationship with food. If you're like me, the problem is when we believe the purpose of food is to taste good, not to nourish us. You need to start eating healthy first and eventually you'll start to find you prefer healthy food anyways. The reason this happens is because over time, we subconsciously realize that the good feeling we have after eating healthy food is more desirable than a few moments of pleasure.

Have you ever gotten sick after eating something, and later find that the smell or taste of a similar essence will make you nauseous? (For me, it is artificial strawberry thanks to strawberry Smirnoff... I'll let you imagine the circumstances). Our subconscious remembers what it thinks is good and bad for us and tailors our palette to eat more "good" things and avoid the "bad" ones. Obviously, the pure energy of sugary or fatty foods bode well with our brain's survival mechanism, but we know better over the long run.

To set this subconscious, biological change in motion, you must first change your attitude about food. Instead of thinking about how good it tastes all the time, you want to break down what you're really getting when you dig in. This is a skill that takes time to learn, but eventually it will help you choose more quality food. Start by breaking it down into the major ingredients of what's in it... if you don't know and have access to the nutritional information, the ingredients are listed in order of which is used the most... 95% or more of what the food is can usually be found in the first 5 ingredients listed.

Now, instead of seeing a juicy fast-food cheeseburger, you're getting processed white flour bun, processed milk fat/cheese, sodium-heavy condiments, and a processed soy-meat patty. The only valuable part in terms of nutrition is the onions and lettuce. As soon as I finish eating it, I'm going to be absorbing a whole lot of empty carbohydrates and grease, some of which is going to drain itself through my intestines and into the toilet. Mmm, that sounds sooo tempting, doesn't it? On the other hand, I could choose a salad. When I do that, I just imagine all that leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, and nuts being absorbed into my system and it's hard to not want that more than the cheeseburger. I'm not saying cheeseburgers wouldn't taste better... but by changing my attitude about what food's purpose is, eventually it's easier to choose healthy options and that habit will make your diet very doable.

It's a matter of momentum and the first few weeks are a lot of work, but once you're consistently ingesting high quality, nutritious foods, you'll find it's even easier not to feel like you just gotta have that junkfood you see on TV.

G

Glycerine

I am limiting chips, snacks (other than the occasional fruit if I am still hungry), dessert, flavored drinks, and hopefully fast food. I slipped up once or twice but doing pretty good after two weeks.

MetalMoon

If you're coming off sweets, remember: coffee with cream cures all. Or blueberries with cream. Or just cream in general. :D

To be honest, since I've had particularly bad experiences with sugar and gluten in the past, I'm quite proud of myself that the only real vice I have at the moment is dark chocolate; 85%+. And I don't "have" to eat it all the time; in fact, I can leave it lying around and not care about it.

Somewhat unfortunately, I'm going on a trip to Belgium in two weeks. "Somewhat" because it's a set meal-plan, and most of the meals are gluten-carb-city. I didn't want to tell them that I'm kinda gluten intolerant, either. I'm only mildly intolerant, and it won't have looked good when they saw me ordering Belgian waffles with icecream. I'm sorry, but if you're going to Belgium and are not Celiac, you're gonna order Belgian waffles. (unless you don't like them, or are trying to go cold turkey)

Eh, what the hell. I'm rambling. Good luck cutting out the shit! And remember: sugar feeds cancer cells!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
So, after having to go off gluten, I found that I wanted other kinds of junk food because I felt left out. However, now I have quit Coke entirely (I was drinking two cans a day before) for 6 months so far and I have quit chips. Other carbonated drinks don't really interest me. I was on a flavoured popcorn and then corn chips kick, but awareness about GMO stuff and having enough of it has let me comfortably let go of that. I used to drink one or two cups of hot chocolate a day, but after discovering a mild intolerance to milk that makes me react by gaining water weight, it was easy to let that go. So now, I guess the next thing to tackle is chocolate and those tasty Starbuck chocolate coffee drinks. At that point, I will have run out of anything that interests me. I'm considering going off sugar, having seen incredible results and health benefits for a lot of people, but it scares me, as it is one more divider for eating with other people socially. Any ideas for how to deal with that?

G

Glycerine

I'm considering going off sugar, having seen incredible results and health benefits for a lot of people, but it scares me, as it is one more divider for eating with other people socially. Any ideas for how to deal with that?
I cut out all drinks except water and protein smoothies and all desserts.
When it comes to dessert, I usually opt for a fruit option or just say I don't feel like dessert and not make a big deal about it.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm pretty good at refusing desserts. It's more doing stuff together that involves imbibing sweets while we're out. Buying a banana to eat while they have DQ or Starbucks doesn't work for me.

G

Glycerine

What about those yogurt and granola parfaits (I have lactose intolerance but I tend not to react to yogurt as much) that coffee shops tend to sell or just bringing your own treat? In the end, it's your life and if you don't make a big deal about it, than I don't think others will care.

I mean aren't outings like that usually more about socializing/having fun and eating is just an added bonus?

Mole

Permabanned
The Warm Muzzle of Mole

So, after having to go off gluten, I found that I wanted other kinds of junk food because I felt left out. However, now I have quit Coke entirely (I was drinking two cans a day before) for 6 months so far and I have quit chips. Other carbonated drinks don't really interest me. I was on a flavoured popcorn and then corn chips kick, but awareness about GMO stuff and having enough of it has let me comfortably let go of that. I used to drink one or two cups of hot chocolate a day, but after discovering a mild intolerance to milk that makes me react by gaining water weight, it was easy to let that go. So now, I guess the next thing to tackle is chocolate and those tasty Starbuck chocolate coffee drinks. At that point, I will have run out of anything that interests me. I'm considering going off sugar, having seen incredible results and health benefits for a lot of people, but it scares me, as it is one more divider for eating with other people socially. Any ideas for how to deal with that?

God knows I am the last person to advise you Fidelia, but if we eat delicious fresh food, there is no room for junk.

For instance, I have a whole papaya, cut and filled with lemon juice and blueberries, every day. This leaves me delightfully full and nourished and I have no desire for junk.

And most of all my fruit lunch leave me alkaline rather than acidic, which leaves me mellow.

And interestingly it is sugar that leaves us acidic and on edge.

I know I shouldn't advise you, and I know I am tempting fate, but just imagine it is the warm muzzle of Mole whispering in your ear.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
@ Glycerine- I used to think that, but not drinking alcohol, pop, dairy or eating fried foods or gluten does make it harder. Maybe it's just a lot of changes in a short time, but I discovered that sharing food together is a more integral part of socializing than you'd think. Many people take it personally when you bring your own stuff to potlucks or to their house, and what places you can eat at together change a bit. Multicultural festivals are not the same without food. It's hard sometimes not to kind of grieve the loss of that. I never realized how central food and drink are to spending time with people and creating memories together until my health forced the issue.

Add to that allergies to dogs, cats and most farm animals and I find myself dreading adding more to the list of what would separate me from the people around me. I don't want to be perceived as one of THOSE people.

Dear Mole, I agree with you entirely. And at home that's not a big hardship. The problem is more when Igo out. I've been guzzling veggie juice like crazy this year and find it both filling and alkalizing.

Mole

Permabanned
Add to that allergies to dogs, cats and most farm animals and I find myself dreading adding more to the list of what would separate me from the people around me. I don't want to be perceived as one of THOSE people.

I can understand dogs and cats and farm animals but surely not Moles. Don't for God's sake add me to the list.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Haven't encountered enough close up to rightly know. Just to be on the safe side, you'd better change your name back to Victor...