• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

no self discipline and losing 20 lbs

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember in college some women who were dismayed that the bodies they had in high school continued to grow and develop into their twenties - which is normal human development. It's all complicated by a society that expects adult women to spend their lives 20 pounds underweight.

Just because a law says you're an adult at 18 doesn't mean your body stops there; your brain won't even finish developing until your mid-twenties and your metabolism is going to slow down later bringing even more changes. Wanting the body you had even last year at 21 is about as realistic as wanting the body you had at 10. You're still growing up. Give it time and be a little more realistic about your expectations for yourself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not going 20 pounds under weight. Your right unless I can shink 8 inches and weigh 90 pounds I don't think I can ever be what I was at 10, I don't know modern technology is getting awfully amazing these days. Please if I wanted to really go all out and not care and do it just to be skin I'd just starve or puke every meal. I'm trying to get fit and I felt the best at 120. If you knew the first thing about me, saw how I dressed how I walked you would know that I couldn't care less about others and my weight. This is what I like. I like 120 I'm sorry but I don't want to weigh 300 lbs one day because I didn't change my life style while I was young and die of a heart attack or something when I'm 40.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
What is your height, prplchknz? 'Cause your body always settles is at a weight it's comfortable in, with a balanced diet and moderate exercise. I'm actually 130 pounds, but people tend to estimate me at 120 when they look at me.

Body build matters too. Are you an ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph? Somatotypes

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
5'7" not 100% sure but ectomorphic, I think that's the closest one that fits me.

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahhh... crazy... with a weight of 140 that gives you a BMI of 21.9 which is perfectly within normal, and 120 is 18.something which takes you down to underweight.

I know BMI isn't perfect, but it's still okay for most people. Be happy with your weight. Look at your fitness rather than the scales. Being underweight is NOT good. You're much healthier and much better off at a higher weight, but a good fitness level.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
agreed, 140 sounds pretty perfect for someone who is 5'7.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey I'm 5'7" too! I just kinda assumed you were shorter... I felt too big when I was 140 too...I'm happy at 130 where I am now, though. I don't think I could get to 120 without losing muscle, which would make me sad. But hey whatever makes you happy, right?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it's just I gained 20lbs in the past few months, and I use to be eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce, I'm hoping it's winter weight (do humans have that evolutionary trait?)and I walk everywhere. But otherwise I'm pretty lazy.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Perhaps you're just approaching your normal adult weight? :unsure: I think as long as you don't feel like you're weighted down and you feel that you have the energy to do stuff... your current weight is fine. 140 pounds for 5'7" is hardly "overweight"...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yes 140 might be fine now but it starts with 140 then before you know it you're 410 finding sandwiches from two months ago under your fat flaps.

and I do not want that happening.

besides it will take me so long to get up the motivation to lose weight that by the time I do I probably will be overweight. I still like 120 though.

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
Then eat sensibly and exercise. 140 and 410 aren't the only options, obviously.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
anyone want to possess me and do this for me?

My main problem is not excersing I eat small frequent meals though I could eat healthier. MY mom described me as a snacker growing up, as she could not get me too eat a whole plate of food in a setting but I would snack on it through out the day.

though I'm beginning to notice that I've been eating more in a setting then I use to, which could be my main problem

and I do eat breakfast I have coffee and cereal everyday.

I have no self-control either, and it was getting out of hand (I weigh, uh, a lot more than you) so I joined Weight Watchers. It's like Rent-A-J. :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
so I want to be 120 and I'm 140. Though I'm not fat and 110 is the smallest I can be before my BMI is too low according to my doctor (I found this out when I got so stressed junior year in highschool and just totally forgot to eat) I need to be 120 I feel disgusting at 140. Yet I have no self discipline so anyone have any suggestions for self discipline and healthy ways to lose weight.

Why do you want to lose weight if you have a normal BMI?

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
OK..here is the magic:

- Do Billy Blanks TaeBo, first thing in the morning before eating/drinking anything. The energy is taken from the fat in your body as fuel. If you cant find TaeBo, do any other aerobic exercise.
- Have small meals around every 3-4 hours, that should keep the GI on level.
- And the other usual advice of eat fruits, veges, proteins etc. But DONT cut on carbs, instead eat healthy carbs like wholemeal etc.

I think in about a couple of months time, you will see a BIG difference!!
:)
goodluck.

(sighhhh...I wish i followed my own advice :p ) lol

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a question if anyone is in the know. Why does it matter if you eat right before you go to bed or 4 hours before? Those calories are the same. The reason I usually see is that your body doesn't have a chance to burn it off but I don't get it. If you eat at 6 and go to bed at 10, you have 4 hours to burn it off. But if you eat at 9, wouldn't you be in a calorie deficit from the 3 hours you didn't eat?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Bry: I don't think it's been scientifically tested... (I could be wrong of cause! ;)) but I do believe it's just folklore traditional wisdom.

Your body balances the amount of glucose you have in your blood via hormones (insulin & glucagon) such that at any given point of the day your body always have energy. So technically whether you eat at 6 or at 10 makes no difference...

If you eat at 6... the extra energy is stored in your liver for gradual release throughout the rest of the night.

If you eat at 10... you'll be using up energy stored in your liver from your previous meals until you eat... then covering up the deficient with the meal.

It's like accounting... balancing numbers.

Science relating to finances... Yuck! *throws up*

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Bry: I don't think it's been scientifically tested... (I could be wrong of cause! ;)) but I do believe it's just folklore traditional wisdom.

Your body balances the amount of glucose you have in your blood via hormones (insulin & glucagon) such that at any given point of the day your body always have energy. So technically whether you eat at 6 or at 10 makes no difference...

If you eat at 6... the extra energy is stored in your liver for gradual release throughout the rest of the night.

If you eat at 10... you'll be using up energy stored in your liver from your previous meals until you eat... then covering up the deficient with the meal.

It's like accounting... balancing numbers.

Science relating to finances... Yuck! *throws up*

I think the reasoning behind it might be something like:

If you eat at 10, your body has less energy stored up in more accessible forms, senses this, and slows down metabolism to compensate. When you go to sleep, you will be using less energy anyways, so it gets stored up, but ends up going to less accessible storage options (like fat), just because the more accessible options won't be able ot store as much. Repeated, it causes a weight buildup thanks ot metabolism overall being slower for the same amount of food.

I'm not sure if this is actually how it works, though, if true, it might be something else.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have a question if anyone is in the know. Why does it matter if you eat right before you go to bed or 4 hours before? Those calories are the same. The reason I usually see is that your body doesn't have a chance to burn it off but I don't get it. If you eat at 6 and go to bed at 10, you have 4 hours to burn it off. But if you eat at 9, wouldn't you be in a calorie deficit from the 3 hours you didn't eat?

myth... what's important is overall rate of caloric intake vs. energy used, not how that rate is distributed throughout s 24-hour cycle.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Super cardio every day for about a half hour (A mere 1/48th of a day! Find a big hill and run up it five times) and watching your carbs & glucose intake (cure your sweet tooth with honeydew and grapefruit w/ honey.. your craving for carbs with a helping of sticky-rice) and drink lots of water.. a lot of times, when you think you are hungry, you are just THIRSTY!