• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lose Weight or Lose Your Children?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
serendipitiy... I just posted on another thread re: Christian bias... that PCness says its okay to be actively prejudiced against Christians and smokers.. and the obese would be next. Thanks for the link... proves I'm not just paranoid.:D Its here and only going to get worse.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Well maybe they are in denial if they say they don't misfeed their kids. The 12 year old is 224lb. Hmm. For those not of a British persuasion.. 14lb = 1 stone.

There's a certain logic... you'd take a child away from a parent who was starving it to death. Overfeeding? Hmm...

Edit : they've been given 3 months to make an improvement, and send their kids to fitness classes and things. I wonder if the "threat" is because they've denied there is a problem or anything to do...

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Just you wait, the UK's obesity rates will be worse than the U.S.'s soon enough. Same with Canada.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
We're in an age when everyone knows what's best for everyone else. Hey, if they want to pay for raising other people's kids and the later pyschologists expenses treating them as a result of being ripped away from their RIGHTFUL parents for the reasons they were... go for it! You're right... they should do as you say... just pay the consequences.

I'm American but watch Brit TV and there's a half hour show (can't recall the name but it comes on right after the two gals who clean the horrid houses)... this little twirpy gal teaches fatties how to eat and live right... pretty predictable where this is headed.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
We're in an age when everyone knows what's best for everyone else. Hey, if they want to pay for raising other people's kids and the later pyschologists expenses treating them as a result of being ripped away from their RIGHTFUL parents for the reasons they were... go for it! You're right... they should do as you say... just pay the consequences.

I didn't say the kids should be taken away - I just wondered whether they were threatened with it because they refused to take action to improve their kids weight. 224lb for a 12 year old doesn't sound like good parenting. Not when the same pattern fits all of the children!

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't say the kids should be taken away - I just wondered whether they were threatened with it because they refused to take action to improve their kids weight. 224lb for a 12 year old doesn't sound like good parenting. Not when the same pattern fits all of the children!

I get your point. I'm just sick of everyone thinking someone else's kids belong to them. Just about anything can be "justified" by controlling, know-it-all, people. When the government is used to control people's private lives its disgusting to me. Hypothetical: Self-righteous, do-gooder, Mom's gain political power and work for government intervention controlling the dress parents allow for female offspring... justification... puts them in danger of being raped. A stretch? No, women have to stay totally covered in some middle eastern countries. Government, elsewhere, has become religion-like with its imposing of "morality."

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

I'm American but watch Brit TV and there's a half hour show (can't recall the name but it comes on right after the two gals who clean the horrid houses)... this little twirpy gal teaches fatties how to eat and live right... pretty predictable where this is headed.

Depressing, isn't it, what the herd want to watch in both our countries. I'm depressed that we make it, and depressed that you buy it!

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just you wait, the UK's obesity rates will be worse than the U.S.'s soon enough. Same with Canada.
I can't speak for the UK but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen anytime soon here. Obesity may be a problem here as well but not nearly to the same extent, as far as I'm aware.

Oh and, if she's putting the kids' health in jeopardy, then and only then I think it's justified to make such a demand.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
If the government is allowed to interfere and people still campaign for more clout to be effected through such inappropriate channels as national scale official organisations then the slippery slope towards a very draconian system is non too far off.

The thing is you get one daft headed busy body who wants a security camera for their besieged area, then you find them cropping up all over the place. You get the nervous wrecks still sitting in their living rooms twitching curtains seemingly unaffected by how they've got everyone else twitching curtains and even got the government joining in their voyeuristic tendencies and their still nervous! They still proclaim that they feel threatened!!

The whole system is shot to pieces. Personally I blame the lawyers for making rules out of temporary situations and then doing their damnedest to keep these rules hardline.

Fire the lot of them. Then run mass interviews and hire back only the ones who aren't highly paid and who still give a hoot for moderation. Then rotate them out after 10 years into day care or something so they get a grip.

In direct reference to the story, if you can say that it's fine to take children off a mother because you don't like how she still smacks or restrains her child (and yes it can just be the latter and non of the former) then you asked for it with the whole "you don't feed and exercise your kids right".