• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't regret my purchases of Aveeno's Positively Mineral sunscreens, one for face and the other for body. No burning sensations that I tend to get with typical cheap coconut-scented sunblocks. Does not give me much of a weird chalky appearance either.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Et voilà... Is advertising allowed on MBTI Forum ?:huh:

Monsieur Big. Thought it was a dildo, then I realised I landed on the wrong post.

Generally no, we’re not allowed to advertise on here, as far as I know. However, recommending products/listing ones you like (as many have in this threead that’s specifically relevant to products members use/like) &/or reviewing them is acceptable.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I got a sample of Pyunkang Yul Cleansing Foam awhile back if you're looking for a cleanser that removes everything without stripping - this is a good one.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
anyone have a recommendation for an affordable facial sunscreen that's cruelty free( and not owned by a company that isn't), at least 50 SPF, and doesn't burn the shit out of your eyeballs? The last being the most crucial :irked:

mrgrtt123

The 24-hour lipstick of Maybelline is legit, I ate and brush my teeth. Used a makeup remover to get rid of the voyager shade but part of it is still on my lips. :huh:

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
anyone have a recommendation for an affordable facial sunscreen that's cruelty free( and not owned by a company that isn't), at least 50 SPF, and doesn't burn the shit out of your eyeballs? The last being the most crucial :irked:

Try this one

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recently switched back to using Aveda shampoo and conditioner. Bought the Rosemary Mint shampoo / Clove conditioner. This company is "high end," but in my opinion the products are worth every penny. I have used drugstore brands that claim to be natural, but my hair really "likes" Aveda more than any other brand, it seems... I have unruly, 2B (I think?) Scottish hair. I have always been self-conscious about it to varying degrees over the years. With these products, after washing my hair the night before, when I look in the mirror the next day, I actually feel like my hair looks - gasp - good! Imagine that!
8ffbb3c8db91630d6b6477c37b8ffbdf.jpg

Pinker85

I've stopped using my normal skincare and have begun washing my face with almond flour, turmeric, rose water and jojoba oil with enough water to make a paste, leave on for 5-10 minutes and wipe off and wash thoroughly finishing with jojoba oil massaged into skin. I started with that yesterday and noticed my acne hasn't gotten worse so far so good. I'm going to be buying some honey and coffee grounds, both of which can be used in natural skin care. Getting a bit paranoid about whats in beauty products, if they are healthy for using on skin which absorbs a lot of what is put on it. I'm also switching a lot of things from plastic to glass.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finally found a relatively cheap drugstore spf powder for quick sunscreen reapplication that is light enough for me. Because I’m kinda pale to the point of chalky (this & ‘Casper’ were affectionate names people used to call me), “Fair” tones are too pink, or too orangey (some oxidize to a darker tone later in the day, too). I’d prefer the spf be higher, but if it’s late, late afternoon, & I have a decent base* on, this should do:

1711353.jpg

Not great if you sweat a lot, however. Streaks. If I’m out that long (rare), I’ll usually wipe everything off & reapply my spf 30 moisturizer & the sweat resistant EltaMD stuff anyway, so, it doesn’t matter. I’m pretty religious w/sunscreen use, as my meds for acne & my joint pain meds increase sensitivity to UV.

There are probably better ones out there for pale people, w/higher SPF, but this one compact should last the rest of the summer/into fall, & the other brands are thrice the cost.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone know an effective skin firming lotion? I use pure retinol over night in heavy amounts and also pure collagen cream and powder I ingest. I know most people here are probably too young to think about it, but these products tend to be expensive and ineffective.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone know an effective skin firming lotion? I use pure retinol over night in heavy amounts and also pure collagen cream and powder I ingest. I know most people here are probably too young to think about it, but these products tend to be expensive and ineffective.

I like L'Oréal RevitaLift Anti-Wrinkle + Firming Eye Cream. I've tried lots of different eye moisturizers, and I think this stuff firms up the area under my eyes even better than Strivectin. Which is surprising, because it's relatively inexpensive. I use CeraVe eye repair at night, along with a bit of Egyptian Magic on top (my eyes tear *a lot*. the corners of my eyes get super dry and irritated, EM gets rid of that problem) - because I use rx retinol too, and there's an ingredient in the Loreal eye cream that reduces retinol effectiveness. So I only apply the Loreal eye firming cream during the day.

I use Strivectin SD on the rest of my face, which does seem to help firm it up just a bit. It's made a difference on my forehead. I use it very sparingly, it's expensive - and I layer less expensive facial moisturizer over it. I get the Strivectin from Costco, where it's less than half the price it is at a place like Ulta. (And I only use it during the day because of similar conflicts with rx retinol; I use CeraVe PM moisturizer on my face at night over the retinol).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Topical retinoids are the medical gold standard for anti-aging (tretinoin in 0.05% concentration up to 0.1% is ideal). Corrects photodamage, can smooth out or soften wrinkles. It does have a firming effect longterm— not so much by making the external skin taut, but by strengthening &plumping the dermis over a long period of time. Sometimes it can take a year+ to see any difference, but it is occurring, on a deep level. Sunscreen is super important, though. If not used daily, you risk getting more damage to your skin through increased UV sensitivity.

Niacinamide has also had similar benefit in studies, though less so than prescription retinoids.

Some degree of skin sagging/laxity can only be corrected with surgery (facelift, or lifts to targeted areas), or lifted with filler injections. Some of the laxity that can’t be corrected with topical treatmentsis due to changes in volume of fat pads in the face that can change shape/shrink & migrate with age, & no amount of dermis plumping can get that back.

I’ll also echo Zbuck’s recommendation of CeraVe’s PM Lotion. It’s great to use with retinol treatments (and other retinoids-based products). Has Niacinamide, & is really soothing if your skin gets irritated by retinoids.

If you use retinoids (over the counter retinol or stronger Rx retinoids) on delicate skin like the neck, I HIGHLY recommend applying a layer of Gold Bond Eczema Relief Lotion on top of it (not on the face, though). Neck & upper chest skin is more sensitive, & the 2% colloidal oatmeal & dimethicone sealant in that lotion really help with the retinoid irritation/burning in that area, during the adjustment phase. Colloidal oatmeal has anti-inflammatory & antihistamine properties to really calm things down.

With strong retinoids, there’s a peeling/burning phase that most people hate. Your skin will look older, drier, & angrier & you’ll hate it/think you’ve wrecked your skin. It can cause some folks to stop using it, but, since we’re all shut-ins, a temporarily peely face shouldn’t matter so much at the moment. The CeraVe tends to help with that irritation on the face, too. The adjustment phase can last anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so, depending on skin type & topical strength.

I also recommend using something like Aquaphor or Vaseline on the lips at bedtime, if you use retinoids near the mouth, unless cracked sandpaper lips are something you enjoy.

It’s a pain in the ass, but worth it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], I actually have half a tube of prescription retinoids (tretinoin in 0.05% concentration up to 0.1% is ideal) left. I started using it last night again. I had stopped when my eyelids started swelling for mysterious reasons, but it's not related. I do buy OTC retinol and collagen and often put a lot of collagen all over my face and when it dries a bit I put a lot of the OTC retinol on large bandages and put them on my neck, forehead, and occasionally cheeks overnight. I do see an actual difference the next morning, but I don't think it lasts. I made up the bandage idea.

[MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION], I'll keep track of those eye creams because even though I don't mind the way my eyes look, I think the skin was negatively affected after my extreme allergic (?) reactions over the past couple of month. My eyelids swelled so much that I think maybe the skin is looser now, but I'm not sure. They swelled up monstrously, but my eyeballs were fine. It was really weird and I still don't understand it. It doesn't quite fit allergy or viral response, but kinda fits half-way between in terms of details of symptoms.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I used to have some gnarly cystic acne— to the point that it was tunneling under my skin/interconnecting & creating massively inflamed, ulcerated lesions that would take forever to heal, leaving me prone to infections, which led to a couple of bouts in the ER on IV antibiotics, surgical excision, & serious scarring to my face. Large, atrophic scars that looked like I’d had chunks of my face ripped off by an animal, which required multiple surgeries to correct, so that the scars would be thin lines, level w/my skin.

In that time, I picked up a lot of useful info about skincare in general from my doctors, & about a lot of gimmicky ingredients that really do very little. The retinoid treatments I’d referenced above are prescribed to me to control the remaining acne issues I have (along w/some oral meds), but a bonus is that they do help one age ‘gracefully,’ & are overall beneficial for skin health. It’s basically concentrated vitamin A, which is easily absorbed through skin.

Nothing wrong with aging, of course, but I can’t say I mind the added cosmetic benefits the medication has given me (started in my early 20s, & at 35, I have no crows feet or forehead lines yet, likely because of this, & the lines around my mouth are very fine compared to my peers who don’t use retinoids). I enjoy sharing the knowledge I picked up from my dermatologists & surgeon with anyone interested in skin care. There are a lot of scams out there that prey on women’s insecurities about aging. Some just waste your money, & others can do that as well as be harmful in the longterm for your skin.

I like to help. :shrug:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=14857]Powehi[/MENTION], I haven't tried anything else in the L'Oréal RevitaLift line, mostly because the only firming I specifically needed was under my eyes. (I guess I wouldn't say the Strivection SD firms so much as it plumps to get rid of wrinkles). The L'Oréal RevitaLift line is relatively inexpensive (and easy to find on sale if you watch for sales), so it might be worth trying something for the rest of the face.

This thread always gives me non-sensitive skin envy. I have incredibly sensitive skin, I can't use most of the things people mention here. I use CeraVe PM lotion and their eye repair cream, but their daytime/AM facial moisturizer gives me acne, burns, and makes my skin rashy. Even Thayer's witch hazel or Mario Badescu's rose water toner - both of which I've heard high praise of - both make my skin break out. Having sensitive skin sucks.