• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Can anyone tell me of a reasonably affordable but virtually ALL natural/organic line of makeup?

All I need is a good tinted moisturizer (that actually helps to smooth skin tone a bit), mascara, and eyeliner.

I've looked into the Honest line, and I am just not sure. I've also tried the tinted moisturizer and didn't feel it concealed anything.

Previously, I've just used grocery-level brands, like Aveeno, Alba, and Physician's Formula. I was happy enough with the coverage for all of them, but want to step up my chemical-free game, and I'm also looking for reasons to NEVER have to step foot in another Walmart ever again.

Jane Iredale is the only one I'm really familiar with. I think a BB cream is going to do better than tinted moisturizer, and Jane Iredale has a lot of multi-functional items.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
So currently I'm using CosRX low PH cleanser (best stuff ever!), CosRX Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence, CosRX Snail Mucin Power Essence, CosRX Ultimate Nourishing Rice overnight spa mask, and sometimes CosRX Ultra Moisturizing Lotion (with Birch Sap). It is not as time consuming as I would have imagined. I'm considering adding the Klairs redness products to the mix because over the last few months, I've developed an alarming kind of heat rash, and my face for the last couple of years has been increasingly red even though it used to be very white. I wonder if it has to do with gut health, or with compromised moisture barrier on the skin or if it's just a natural consequence of aging.

I also tried their black seed oil cleanser and liked the feeling after. Do any of you do the Korean double cleansing thing? What is the advantage? Moisturizing, or just more thorough cleansing? I use miscellar water usually to get the last bits of makeup.

What about toner? I've usually viewed it as an unnecessary step, but the K beauty world doesn't seem to think so.

What do you think about retinoid cream? I've tried some at various times, but not noticed huge differences in my skin, although admittedly, I am inconsistent. Same with regularly using Vitamin C serum.

I hate the feeling of sunscreen on my face, but have read good things about Biore UV watery essence, which is Japanese. Any experience with that?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So currently I'm using CosRX low PH cleanser (best stuff ever!), CosRX Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence, CosRX Snail Mucin Power Essence, CosRX Ultimate Nourishing Rice overnight spa mask, and sometimes CosRX Ultra Moisturizing Lotion (with Birch Sap). It is not as time consuming as I would have imagined. I'm considering adding the Klairs redness products to the mix because over the last few months, I've developed an alarming kind of heat rash, and my face for the last couple of years has been increasingly red even though it used to be very white. I wonder if it has to do with gut health, or with compromised moisture barrier on the skin or if it's just a natural consequence of aging.

I also tried their black seed oil cleanser and liked the feeling after. Do any of you do the Korean double cleansing thing? What is the advantage? Moisturizing, or just more thorough cleansing? I use miscellar water usually to get the last bits of makeup.

What about toner? I've usually viewed it as an unnecessary step, but the K beauty world doesn't seem to think so.

What do you think about retinoid cream? I've tried some at various times, but not noticed huge differences in my skin, although admittedly, I am inconsistent. Same with regularly using Vitamin C serum.

I hate the feeling of sunscreen on my face, but have read good things about Biore UV watery essence, which is Japanese. Any experience with that?

I've always used a powdered sunscreen on my face because I cannot stand the sticky stuff even made for faces. I only slather that stuff on when I'm going to the beach or going to be out all day somewhere. Otherwise, the powdered stuff works and I used it all the time in Iraq.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Powdered sunscreen? I don't know about that! Tell me about it!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Powdered sunscreen? I don't know about that! Tell me about it!

Powdered sunscreen is awesome. I use it for makeup touch-ups in the summer, midday.

7 of the Best Powder Sunscreens For Extra Protection On the Go - Beautyeditor

EltaMD makes really awesome cream sunscreens that feel exactly like a moisturizer. I love their tinted one (this one EltaMD | Best Mineral Sunscreens with Antioxidants | Physical Sunscreen ), it’s my year-round go-to sunscreen.

It’s pricey, but one 3oz tube lasts me 6+ months.
All their stuff:
EltaMD Sun Care Products | Zinc Sunscreens

You mentioned some redness issues, and I think you said something about hives in your blog, if I recall correctly? Have you seen a dermatologist at all? It sounds a bit like my roommate’s rosacea. Easy to treat, if it is that.

Retinoids are really great for your skin, providing you are consistent with your use (every night, not just once a week on a random night), and wear adequate sunscreen regularly, as retinoids make you more sensitive to UV.

Given you’ve got some sensitivity issues going on, it might take you awhile to build up to using every night, though. There’s always a phase of irritation when you begin using it. Sometimes peeling. Best to check with a doctor first.

My roommate with rosacea sticks with products containing niacinamide in place of a retinoid, as she is just way too sensitive for retinoids. Niacinamide has similar benefits to retinoids, without the irritation. I use both a retinoid & a niacinamide-based product. Olay Regenerist serum is a great niacinamide-based product. My favorite.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'd love to hear opinions on this as well. I've consistently read that it's important, yet every toner I've ever tried has only made my skin break out and/or feel yucky. It feels like it leaves a filmy residue.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd love to hear opinions on this as well. I've consistently read that it's important, yet every toner I've ever tried has only made my skin break out and/or feel yucky. It feels like it leaves a filmy residue.

It’s supposed to prep your skin for moisturizer after cleansing. Can reset skin pH. Removes any trace amounts of cleanser residue, or makeup/oil the cleanser may have missed. Soothes. Shouldn’t leave a filmy sensation on your skin at all. Also should not contain alcohol (a lot do, unfortunately). It also helps your skin absorb whatever moisturizer you apply over it. Depending on the product, it can add more antioxidants to your regimen without the weight.

Best one I’ve used is this:

Thayers Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner - Thayers Natural Remedies

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cool, thanks!

My last attempt at toner (just last week) was a witch hazel/vitamin c powder concoction I read about. It didn't leave a film residue but it did seem to make me break out in whiteheads a few days later. I stopped, they went away. I do think I'll try that rose witch hazel though, just for shittles, because I know I'll use it forother purposes of it doesn't work out on my face.

The thing about balancing pH - that's what I keep reading, and it's the reason I want to find a toner that works. I haven't tried a.c. vinegar yet, though I'd read that suggestion too. It just really stinks. (It works like a charm on my scalp - I used to have a really itchy scalp until I started using a.c. vinegar rinse. But the smell is exactly too potent to be putting on my face.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I've been using Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner, unscented just in case. It's to prep your face for serums, essence and moisturizers. I also use the Biore watery essence, I love it and it's cheap.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Powdered sunscreen is awesome. I use it for makeup touch-ups in the summer, midday.

7 of the Best Powder Sunscreens For Extra Protection On the Go - Beautyeditor

EltaMD makes really awesome cream sunscreens that feel exactly like a moisturizer. I love their tinted one (this one EltaMD | Best Mineral Sunscreens with Antioxidants | Physical Sunscreen ), it’s my year-round go-to sunscreen.

It’s pricey, but one 3oz tube lasts me 6+ months.
All their stuff:
EltaMD Sun Care Products | Zinc Sunscreens

You mentioned some redness issues, and I think you said something about hives in your blog, if I recall correctly? Have you seen a dermatologist at all? It sounds a bit like my roommate’s rosacea. Easy to treat, if it is that.

Retinoids are really great for your skin, providing you are consistent with your use (every night, not just once a week on a random night), and wear adequate sunscreen regularly, as retinoids make you more sensitive to UV.

Given you’ve got some sensitivity issues going on, it might take you awhile to build up to using every night, though. There’s always a phase of irritation when you begin using it. Sometimes peeling. Best to check with a doctor first.

My roommate with rosacea sticks with products containing niacinamide in place of a retinoid, as she is just way too sensitive for retinoids. Niacinamide has similar benefits to retinoids, without the irritation. I use both a retinoid & a niacinamide-based product. Olay Regenerist serum is a great niacinamide-based product. My favorite.

I've used the PRT blue powdered one and colorscience in Iraq and both worked really well.

I use a cheaper one on amazon that's $25 a tube and it's seemed to allllmost as well, and for a 50% savings too.

Retinoids are probably the best thing I ever tried. I WISH I didn't need them, my skin peels, it burns sometimes still, it's expensive and the VA doesn't support the brand I use... but man, my skin is better. I haven't had one cystic acne break out or one super painful splotchy mess since I started using it full time. I even started washing my face LESS (I only use a lighter soap and water in the morning, and do the whole set up at night) after I started using it. Just exfoliate more now.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
any good suggestions for shampoo/conditioner/cleansing conditioner for color treated hair? I just dip dyed my hair bright red last week and it's already fading quicker than I'd like despite using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner :(

I mean, pink is a very nice color, but I wanted RED

oh, and it was a permanent red dye instead of semi-permanent because I was hoping that'd fade more slowly

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
any good suggestions for shampoo/conditioner/cleansing conditioner for color treated hair? I just dip dyed my hair bright red last week and it's already fading quicker than I'd like despite using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner :(

oh, and it was a permanent red dye instead of semi-permanent because I was hoping that'd fade more slowly

Pureology. It's the only brand that really lives up to that claim. A little on the expensive side but it lasts a long time.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone used/experimented with using zinc oxide powder as sunblock? I've noticed that some products use zinc oxide, but I was considering simply getting plain zinc oxide and mixing it with the moisturizer that I already use. Or possibly even just applying it dry with a brush.

I can't use avobenzone because it stains clothes (I spend most of my time at a house that uses well water - lots of iron, which turns into instant rust stains when mixed with avobenzone). It's in most sunblocks, and it's even difficult to find face moisturizer without avobenzone in it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Has anyone used/experimented with using zinc oxide powder as sunblock? I've noticed that some products use zinc oxide, but I was considering simply getting plain zinc oxide and mixing it with the moisturizer that I already use. Or possibly even just applying it dry with a brush.

I can't use avobenzone because it stains clothes (I spend most of my time at a house that uses well water - lots of iron, which turns into instant rust stains when mixed with avobenzone). It's in most sunblocks, and it's even difficult to find face moisturizer without avobenzone in it.

I'd refer to the posts above about powered sunscreen. Amazon.com: Brush On Block - Mineral Sunscreen Powder, Broad Spectrum SPF 30, Translucent: Beauty THis is the brand I use. Not too pricey for how long it lasts, does a great job, and does not burn my face like some sunscreens tend to do when I start sweating. I think Colorscience works slightly better, but not twice the price better.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I did try Overtone's pastel red line. It did deposit enough color that people noticed a difference even though I barely did. I think I will try their vibrant red samples and see how they turn out.

Also, Davines Alchemic red line is something I used to use back when my hair was barely turning brown. I was satisfied with the slight pinkish hue it added to my red hair, brought back some of the natural color in it. But it was expensive and not really sustainable on a budget like mine.

Red washes out REALLY fast.. Always has. It's the hardest color to keep. When my naturally red hair started turning brown (I'll never forgive you for those muggle genetics mom!) with age I started using Henna in my hair. You can use some demi-permanents and those are cheap and easy to use and apply and can revive some of the red for a while... but I think henna lasts the longest for red color. It really penetrates the hair strands and sticks around. (If you're super blond I'm sorry in advance, red has so much trouble sticking to blond hair from what I've heard.)

Henna sucks to use because 1. You can't use hair dyes with it. (Overtone seems to be okay though) 2. It's messy as hell and hard to apply with just one person 3. requires prep work and lots of washing out and 4. can make your hair have a henna funk to it when wet for a few weeks after. The BF likes the smell... i think it smells like wet dog.

Mitigating factors: Lush does do this henna dying for you if you make an appointment with them in advance, and soultanicals can deposit some really nice smell-killing scents into the hair with their products during the few weeks after. I really like that line and they are sometimes sold at target.

I only need enough to dye the parts that grow out, as the hair that's already been dyed still looks fairly red months later. As I have super long hair, I dye the whole thing with 2 bricks of henna every 2-3 years. I do the roots annually or twice a year if my hair went through a major growth spurt.

Mole

Permabanned
I know I am not fully appreciated but in. one respect I am ahead of the curve. Our largest supermarket is stocking A Touch of Silver, the ultra violet hair pigment, invisible to the naked eye, but makes the hair look delicious.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you skin care smarties know about mixing Retin A (tretinoin creme) with moisturizer? I'm concerned about diminishing the Retin A's efficacy.

Don't? Wait a certain amount of time after applying the Retin A before using moisturizer?

Starry

What do you skin care smarties know about mixing Retin A (tretinoin creme) with moisturizer? I'm concerned about diminishing the Retin A's efficacy.

Don't? Wait a certain amount of time after applying the Retin A before using moisturizer?

I’m pretty sure it’s common for people to do it this way...to mix their retin a with lotion (like in the palm of their hand right before applying it.). Granted I am only using my common sense acquired knowledge understanding of “how things work” and haven’t even attempted googling this... but I don’t think the concern has to do with “watering down” the retin or making it less chemically potent with lotion...as long as you are using the prescribed dose. I think the concern has to do with absorption. Like you wouldn’t want to put lotion on and then try to apply your retin...as your skin can only hold so much and the retin will just sit on the surface.

I’m terrible at sticking with routines but whenever I’ve used it I put the retin on...wait for a minute or two...and then put on lotion.