• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] sooo I bought the walmart equate knock off of the healthy skin lotion you've posted, and I'm only like... 3 days into using it. But so far it has been great. I only use it once in the morning after I wash my face, and my face has not been greasy later on in the day at all and it hasn't made me break out either so far. Also, it's really dry from being cold here, so I haven't tested it in warmer weather yet.

Also another thing I bought to try on a whim:
Clean-Clear-Morning-Burst-Moisturizer.jpg

This stuff has also provided just a touch a moisture (which is literally written right on the bottle but it's accurate) and I've been using it at night successfully so far without my face going bananas and throwing oil everywhere. Again, haven't tested it in the warmer Texas humidity/weather yet, but for the cold weather up here so far it's been great.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ok, [MENTION=23585]cyrilraymond[/MENTION] posted a video in johnnyyukon's random funny haha thread, and it was some parody makeup tutorial. i went down a rabbit hole of related videos of hers after watching, and wound up watching a 45 minute drugstore makeup review/tutorial by her. then i went to CVS and bought makeup. i was needing something lighter, more natural, and with a better finish. here's me in way-more-than-normal makeup testing it all out.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] sooo I bought the walmart equate knock off of the healthy skin lotion you've posted, and I'm only like... 3 days into using it. But so far it has been great. I only use it once in the morning after I wash my face, and my face has not been greasy later on in the day at all and it hasn't made me break out either so far. Also, it's really dry from being cold here, so I haven't tested it in warmer weather yet.

Also another thing I bought to try on a whim:
Clean-Clear-Morning-Burst-Moisturizer.jpg

This stuff has also provided just a touch a moisture (which is literally written right on the bottle but it's accurate) and I've been using it at night successfully so far without my face going bananas and throwing oil everywhere. Again, haven't tested it in the warmer Texas humidity/weather yet, but for the cold weather up here so far it's been great.

Awesome the Healthy Skin stuff is working for you so far! :yesss:

I use that Clean & Clear moisturizer, too. Since I'm on Retin-A & peel intermittently, this stuff is great for adding a little bit of moisture here & there through the day if flaky skin starts to show up, without making my face greasy. The simple glycerin/dimethicone ingredients pick up the slack for me on those days. I hope they don't discontinue this.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So after a couple months of doing this, here's my verdict: while it is too much of a pain right now for me to do a major 'detox' of my scalp, I can say that treating it with straight ACV definitely works.

So far a zinc and sulfur mask from YG Labs + exfoliation coming only from microfiber clothes + Hydrovitron acne cleanser from DS Labs + Morning Burst in the evening or Equate's version of Neutrogena's Healthy Skin retinoid moisturizer in the morning has produced some pretty awesome effects. While this was also (TMI moment maybe) my lightest period I've had since starting my birth control, and that may have a say, I also have broken out less than I ever have this time of the month and I find myself not poking at my face at all. Only word of caution is not to use that moisturizer anywhere near your lips in addition to avoiding the eyes. I use morning burst moisturizer around my lips and then spread way-too-much lip balm with sunscreen in it over the skin. Keep a bigger buffer zone than you would suspect needing.

My next thing I want to try is detangling solution. I use pretty much exclusively Soultanicals with Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and some of their conditioner from that line only if I'm in a total rush or if I'm detangling my hair before I wash it. So one of the products I use is this:

knotdressing8oz__71545.1417144458.1000.1200.jpg

So I'm going to try mixing this with some distilled water and seeing if I treat my hair with this before I brush it if it'll calm down a lot of the static and harsh brushing that is ruining my hair lately.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
  • Jane Iredale's mineral foundation is the best I've ever tried. It's expensive, but I hardly spend anything on the rest of my makeup and I do feel like it's worth it. I've sampled about 5 other mineral foundations and none have looked nearly as natural. Alima Pure's is worth trying, too, though. They have a huge range of shades and the samples are pretty cheap.
  • Ilia Beauty lipstick in Arabian Nights and Blossom Lady. I just wear them as stains. They're really beautiful colors...don't last long, though, so I don't know if I'm going to buy them (I've been using samples).
  • I've been using Shea Moisture's African Black Soap on my face. It started to smell weird after a few months, so I have to buy a new one, but my skin was clearer than it had been in years. I've never had zits clear up that fast, and I've used some high strength stuff. My skin's been a lot better in general since I stopped using benzoyl peroxide and started on ampicillin. (Used to have pretty bad cystic acne, now just small whiteheads [which would probably be gone if 1/2 my diet weren't dairy and wheat].)

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Also, Revlon's lip balms are great!! I just don't like the colors. There are only a couple neutrals and they're too light for me.

And if anyone knows what to do with frizzy, triangular, extremely voluminous 2C hair, please let me know. : ( I want to get a keratin treatment, but formaldehyde..

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, Revlon's lip balms are great!! I just don't like the colors. There are only a couple neutrals and they're too light for me.

And if anyone knows what to do with frizzy, triangular, extremely voluminous 2C hair, please let me know. : ( I want to get a keratin treatment, but formaldehyde..

Hi. :) what is 2c hair?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I have a friend with 2C/3A hair and she likes the Kerastase line.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My curls don't fit into that chart. I have more than one texture in my hair. :sadbanana:

IT'S LIKE TYPOLOGY ALL OVER AGAIN.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I went momentarily blind and accidentally bought The Falsies in waterproof. Worst mascara ever. do NOT by this. I'm so annoyed; esp considering how much i loved the non waterproof version.
I have no mascara to use atm.:cry:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Henna hair dye? I wanna try it.

I use it on my hair probably 2 times a year.

Pros: It's really gentle, long lasting, it is everything you want out of hair dye if you're not into changing your hair color and want your hair nourished, and it doesn't really alter your hair color dramatically. 1 hour exposed to air will create a very neutral almost non-existent moisturizer and change, 1 hour wrapped in saran wrap a slightly deeper shade, 3 hours wrapped will produce pretty dramatic results. I'll include before and after pictures of the red version.

Cons: Pretty much everything else ever.

Lush's line is expensive, but it's very stable in terms of getting the same results each time and it is easy to measure out and comes with things like shea butters and such for moisturizing your scalp. It's the only one I've dared to try.

Henna changes over time. My hair 5 months post henna is awesome. 1 week post henna looks horridly orange. It takes time for the color to relax in your hair, and that means odd colors if you're not doing something like black.

It's messy. Awfully messy. Anything that touches it gets dyed. And it clumps and muddies up everything. I do it outside in a black metal folding chair with a glass side table because nothing else will work. Your hands and arms need to be covered, you need to constantly clean it up off of you and who ever is helping you, and you have to KEEP wiping it off because it'll start melting down through the saran wrap onto your neck. Also, you need to coat your skin with a generous layer of Aquaphor (or something equivalent) before you ever even start because it will dye your forehead, ears, back of the neck, etc. The cool side of that is you can use any leftovers to draw on your arms.

The stuff is soooo hard to wash out. I spend literally an hour in the shower doing nothing else but washing myself, my hair, and the shower itself to get all of the henna to go away. A water-safe comb and tons of time working your fingers through sections and scrubbing is pretty draining after the whole making it and cleaning it process. It's grainy and muddy and even after you rinse all of the grains out all of the oils need to be washed out afterwards, and strings of green water will keep coming out of your hair even after a couple shampoos. I've even had it run clear on me one time and then find out in the next shower 2 days later rinsing my hair came out with more green oils.

It smells. Some people like the smell. I would say it's a 50/50 call on how it'll react with your body's chemicals. But unless you can wear several kinds of perfume without issues, it'll smell something like a cross between old lady perfume, wet hay, and overwhelmingly dirty wet dog. And that smells lingers. For me with longer hair (to my waist) it lingers for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. Eventually it will fade, and wash out, and there are things you can do to help mask it (I use Soultanicals kink drink which is another very powerful lavender-y scent that masks it extremely well), AND usually you only smell it when it is wet (aka sweating, showering, waiting for hair to dry) so it isn't impossible to suffer through, but it is really gross to me. and contrary to the internet, NOTHING stops it. I put so much ginger and vanilla extract and spices and such into my last batch you'd think I was running Penzy's. No difference.

You can't KEEP using it. If you dye your whole head, the roots will come out light and the ends dark. Henna stacks. That means you only really need to do your roots. More than every 2-3 years will cause the hair to darken more and more. So the lush red color in the final photo below is the very first time I dyed it. If I were to dye my whole head like that again the results would not be so dramatic and beautiful. The second to the last braided picture is more what my hair looks like on a day-to-day basis.

The biggest con: henna is very limited on what you can do with it. If you have black hair and add red dye, it won't make the hair red. It might add some auburn flavor to the way it shines in the sun, at the most, but it is a LOT of work and patience for such a very small pay off. On top of that, it affects everyone differently. My results may not be so dramatic, but they may be crazy good for someone else--or permanently turn your hair orange. On top of THAT, henna and chemical hair dye does NOT mix. So if you want to use henna and your hair isn't it's natural color to start with, you might find yourself with an awful color you hate and limited options for fixing it.

It's a lot of effort for a lot of cons and very minute (potentially) results.

With that said, I hate hair dye (with an exception I'll mention shortly) and henna is the only, and consequently the best, option for me. My goals were to give my hair a healthy mask to soak in nutrients it really needs, as well as moisturize and calm my scalp without harming it, and give my hair a slight boost since I no longer work in the sun constantly and I'm not a true ginger (aka I have brown aspects to my red hair instead of the stark-red hair of a ginger) and not being in the sun dulls it and makes the color look very brown in fake light (aka anything but sunlight).. So for me, the pain in the ass is worth it since I only do my whole head once every 2 years and my roots twice a year and the roots aren't AS bad as the whole head.. so it's not sooo expensive in that aspect, and I NEVER EVER do it alone and I suggest the same for you.

Another option that is NOT as big of a pain in the ass and might give you what you're looking for in the temporary if you're not yet ready for that plunge is semi-permanent, which is what I used to use for fun in high school to turn my hair brown-er on purpose (since it was cool and hip to tease gingers for a while). It's inexpensive, produces light results, it's fast and easy, and it washes out on its own. Word of caution: they wash out differently, with red being the fastest and black taking forever (months and months for some). The lighter colors are pretty safe to play with, browns and blacks will last much much longer.

My hair on semi-permanent: Forgive the high school picture.
p9opb9v

My hair before I put henna in it for the first time: Forgive the art-project picture. These two pictures are natural hair color.
ooccjbw

And in fake light:
q8o6vpe

My hair immediately after henna to show you the horrid orange look it gets:
nkrq4t5

And post henna when the nasty smell is all gone and the orange-y ness has faded.
q4aazke

I'm on the right.

With my friend's high quality camera.
kp992mf

.. Sooooo there you have it! My two cents based entirely on red henna hair dye from Lush and no other data.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] dude thank you! I love the rich healthy look it gives. Thanks for all the advice I'll definitely keep it in mind. I read it's best to do it in the shower and that it stains like a bitch. Does Vaseline work to keep it from staining your skin? Also your hair is gorgeous.

And I don't really think that orange was so bad :shrug:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] dude thank you! I love the rich healthy look it gives. Thanks for all the advice I'll definitely keep it in mind. I read it's best to do it in the shower and that it stains like a bitch. Does Vaseline work to keep it from staining your skin? Also your hair is gorgeous.

And I don't really think that orange was so bad :shrug:

:laugh: The camera also doesn't do it justice, the orange was pretty awful imo. Yes it DOES stain. That's kind of it's schtick so there's no getting around that. You can play with it and paint your hands and arms and stuff if you want with a ziplock bag and a cut corner... but..

Gloves, clothes you hate, shoes you hate, and outdoors are the best. Vaseline works fine, it won't really stain your scalp (it will but it won't be noticeable after a week) so much as the rest of your skin, especially fingernails which you CANNOT get out until it grows out.. so painting them beforehand could help, or like I said gloves. Just make sure you don't forget things like the inside/behind your ears and neck area.. henna gets everywhere when you do it, to include all up inside your ears. You'll need some wet paper towels/cloths to clean it up off of your face, ears, and neck when you're done, and another to keep wiping the inevitable dripping that'll happen from melting via the heat from your head.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My sister did henna (not from Lush - just powder and lemon juice), which looked stunning on her med/dark brown hair), until she started getting more grey in front and then it just looks like a really bad orange. Since then, I think she has switched to Lush (the butters in it make it harder to get out, but there are more choices of shades, as they mix indigo with the henna). It doesn't look quite as nice as before (I think that is because of the grey), and as kyuuei said, it gives inconsistent results if you start layering it, which makes it more difficult when you just have roots. That said, she didn't want to deal with chemicals from hair dye and so she is much happier with henna.

Some types of henna have something called metallic salts in them that will turn your hair green if you try to use any other hair dye over it later on. Just be aware.

I'm undecided. I have a bit of grey in my hair here and there. For now, I've just gone with demi permanent dye so I don't have to deal with roots, and it lasts pretty long. I would like to try Watercolours, which is a kind of dye from the UK with less chemicals in it which is either semi, demi or permanent depending on the length of time you leave it on, it comes in a variety of colours, and doesn't require developer. You just mix water with the solution. I'll report back when I've tried it.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Static electricity is ruining my life.

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But I don't know how to deal with it. My hair is super fine and... the only other word I can think of to describe it is "floaty". It flies out in all directions at the least provocation. And in this cold, dry winter weather, it's completely out of control. Do you guys have any tips or product recommendations for taming static electricity? Specifically, any products that won't make fine hair look limp and greasy?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Static electricity is ruining my life.

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But I don't know how to deal with it. My hair is super fine and... the only other word I can think of to describe it is "floaty". It flies out in all directions at the least provocation. And in this cold, dry winter weather, it's completely out of control. Do you guys have any tips or product recommendations for taming static electricity? Specifically, any products that won't make fine hair look limp and greasy?

The best thing you can do is buy a humidifier and run it when you go to bed. Seriously, it will help so much you may not need much product. I use that old standby V05 hot oil treatment when I notice my hair getting bad. Maybe every week or every 2 weeks is plenty. It works and it's cheap and it won't make your hair greasy or limp.

VO5_HO_Therapy-505x600.png