• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey, I have a question on a fashion issue on which no one can seem to agree: should redheads wear pink?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hey, I have a question on a fashion issue on which no one can seem to agree: should redheads wear pink?

PC anyone can wear anything they want comments aside... I think no. I think you're faking being red neck if you're only going to wear camo if it's pink, or only going to use a gun if it's pink. Unless you live in Candyland or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Then it's weird if you don't wear pink camo. A HUGE part of being redneck is NOT caring about fashion or appearance. Pink camo is definitely just a fashion statement, and thus undermines some key principles of being a red neck.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
PC anyone can wear anything they want comments aside... I think no. I think you're faking being red neck if you're only going to wear camo if it's pink, or only going to use a gun if it's pink. Unless you live in Candyland or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Then it's weird if you don't wear pink camo. A HUGE part of being redneck is NOT caring about fashion or appearance. Pink camo is definitely just a fashion statement, and thus undermines some key principles of being a red neck.
I.... think you may have read my comment in haste. I said "red-head", not "red-neck".

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I.... think you may have read my comment in haste. I said "red-head", not "red-neck".

:rofl1: I absolutely read it wrong. Not once, but TWICE I read it wrong. Hahaha. Ohhh man..

But no, I'm red headed and I look awful in pink. It makes my skin look blotchier and redder. Green is a better color for red heads.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:rofl1: I absolutely read it wrong. Not once, but TWICE I read it wrong. Hahaha. Ohhh man..

But no, I'm red headed and I look awful in pink. It makes my skin look blotchier and redder. Green is a better color for red heads.
Hahaha! That's okay. Happens to all of us.

I never wear pink for the same reason. It makes my skin look atrocious. I do wear a lot of green, and royal blue. Teal is a good color for redheads, too.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hahaha! That's okay. Happens to all of us.

I never wear pink for the same reason. It makes my skin look atrocious. I do wear a lot of green, and royal blue. Teal is a good color for redheads, too.

For some reason my boyfriend hates blue on me. :huh: I never understood why, I always thought it looked cool. :shrug:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Coal tar soap doesn't stink, but I have the EXACT same problem, I itch like CRAZY after I've shaved and sometimes even when I haven't. It feels like ants biting me and I will tear up my skin.

Things that have helped me:
Cutting down on shaving altogether. I shave when necessary, and only when necessary. That's really been the biggest help, unfortunately.
I use an electric razor on my legs. It doesn't waste water, it's cheaper, and it cuts close enough to be smooth for a day (only) but not so close that it causes ingrown hairs and issues. I can use this more frequently than I can a straight razor (more than once every 2 weeks with a straight razor drives my skin bananas. I've given up on it entirely except in rush-hour emergencies and just use straight razors on sensitive areas like the underarms now. Legs? All electric now-a-days, and it helps a LOT.) + moisturizing after shaving.
I use apple cider vinegar, full strength, on my legs sometimes.. about 5 minutes before I get into the shower, I just rub a cotton ball all over it and let it sit on the skin until I jump in--usually while I'm pinning my hair and brushing my teeth.
Cooling menthol spray when they itch. I use biofreeze when it's real bad, and a cooling spray from avon that is FANTASTIC and usually goes on sale cheap Avon - Moisture Therapy Calming Relief Anti-Itch Spray Lotion customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings It smells fine and it isn't invasive and I use it weekly at least. Hydrocortisone creams are stupid and do NOT work on my skin anymore, I use those tubes up like candy. Making the skin cold, and covering it so I don't itch are the best and cheapest.
Moisturize!! LIKE CRAZY! Before you shave, after you shave, daily... Everything. Aquaphor when I shave with a straight razor, Curel's anti-itch lotion daily, and baby oil or baby oil gel when I remember.
Light exfoliation. I use a microfiber cloth in the shower now, and I scrub my body with that, and it works pretty well for my legs.. it's soft but still abrasive enough to scrub the dead skin away, and you want to keep sloughing off the skin to keep ingrown hairs from forming.
Also, hot hot water isn't the best for the skin.. I never listen to that rule, I love hot showers, but cooler water is best for it. I find running some cooler/cold water over my legs when I am done in the shower helps.
A mild anti-inflammatory non-steroid drug like Zyrtec or Aleve depending on what I have on hand. Just something to stop inflammation.
Distractions are powerful. If I shave before I like go to work, for example, I'm less likely to think about it and itch even if it is itchy.
Long socks if I'm getting really bad to cover my leg and protect it from myself mostly--and other things brushing up against it.

what didn't help me:
Changing the type of soap I used. At all. I don't use those frouffy beth bath and body works soaps, but liquid soap, dove moisturizing soap, soap bars, et.c etc... It didn't matter. I still itch no matter what. So I stick to my bars of soap and dove now.
Detergent switching. It's an issue with the skin and an auto-immune inflammatory response to shaving and gods know what else. The detergent is fine probably. (But then again, I make my own detergent and have for years so.. i dunno.. but the times I need to use regular detergent I noticed no difference in my skin.)
The type of cloth/clothes I was wearing.
Topical steroids of any sort. They DID help me for a while when it was SUPER Bad.. a couple years ago.. but they were a temporary band-aid to a problem I didn't want to address--that I needed to stop shaving as frequently as most women get to.. When I cooled it off on shaving, I also stopped using the meds.
I didn't find changing the temperature of my shower helped THAT much in comparison to just a rinse of cold water when done.
Special cute-sy soaps and creams and shit. None of it truly helps and it's more expensive than the stuff I mentioned up above. I wish they did. But anyone that says, "this soap blah blah blah saved my life!!!" doesn't have eczema or was allergic to the soap they were using before. Eczema doesn't go away unfortunately. You just manage it.

yeah, i used dove my whole life and it's still what i buy if i get a store brand. even my deodorant is dove. my mom has it too so she always had it in the house. i have tried some natural soaps, different kinds that are apparently for different things. some i've really liked, some not so much.

since i wrote this i've pretty much stopped shaving, and it's helped a lot. i try to keep moisture on my skin, but i'm still not very consistent with that unfortunately. the cooling spray is a great idea and sounds fantastic. i bet that feels so good.

i've still got dry itchy patches on my legs (especially behind my knees), upper arms, and face.

i've started a new facial skincare routine where i'm using a mixture of oils to cleanse and balance my skin. i upped the more oily one by a drop today because i felt like i was still getting an overall dryer outcome (but acne has been reduced, so that's good). not even a week in though, so i'll give it time.

I use coal tar shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis (scalp eczema) and it's been the only thing other than crazy expensive prescription cortisone shampoo that has helped. The smell isn't awesome, but it washes out pretty well. I definitely don't smell like it after I shower.

thank you! it's actually getting a little worse lately to the point where i think i might try it. also i just ran out of shampoo, so that's good too.

also, do either (any) of you have any good brands of foundation that you find are kind to your skin? i've been wearing makeup much less, but sometimes i still do.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
yeah, i used dove my whole life and it's still what i buy if i get a store brand. even my deodorant is dove. my mom has it too so she always had it in the house. i have tried some natural soaps, different kinds that are apparently for different things. some i've really liked, some not so much.

Yeah dove is really the best store brand for the buck you can get. I used to be 100% dove--shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, lotion. I've branched out now, but the soaps and deodorant to me are still some of the best.

The cooling spray is 100x more effective than any steroid cream. Steroids take too long to kick in on the skin, and cooling sprays can be augmented with things like fans blowing air onto them.

i've started a new facial skincare routine where i'm using a mixture of oils to cleanse and balance my skin. i upped the more oily one by a drop today because i felt like i was still getting an overall dryer outcome (but acne has been reduced, so that's good). not even a week in though, so i'll give it time.

I've had mixed reactions with OCM. On the one hand, it didn't make me break out into cystic acne or anything like that. On the other hand, it hasn't done amazing miracle things and it's a bit of a pain to do in comparison to other methods like just washing, toning, moisturizing. But I'm trying different oils.. a custom blend didn't really do what I wanted, pumpkin seed oil didn't really help (it didn't hurt, it was just... green.. waay too green..) and now I'm trying rosehip oil.. my next step is trying rosehip oil + a bit of castor oil. Just for once a day cleaning. I'm still going to wash and moisturize and tone during the evening.

also, do either (any) of you have any good brands of foundation that you find are kind to your skin? i've been wearing makeup much less, but sometimes i still do.

Oy, I'm not much help. I wear foundation/make up so infrequently that anything I use won't typically destroy my skin in a few hours. I say BB creams are as good as any foundation for wanting light coverage, and [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] said the cheapest best thing (I think she was talking about foundation, I don't know..) was Monistat chafing cream .. apparently it's just the same as all those flawless finishing gel-to-powder things but way cheaper.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had mixed reactions with OCM. On the one hand, it didn't make me break out into cystic acne or anything like that. On the other hand, it hasn't done amazing miracle things and it's a bit of a pain to do in comparison to other methods like just washing, toning, moisturizing. But I'm trying different oils.. a custom blend didn't really do what I wanted, pumpkin seed oil didn't really help (it didn't hurt, it was just... green.. waay too green..) and now I'm trying rosehip oil.. my next step is trying rosehip oil + a bit of castor oil. Just for once a day cleaning. I'm still going to wash and moisturize and tone during the evening.

yeah i'm using rosehip, argon oil, and castor. 40% 40% 20% respectively was my original blend (suggested ratio for combination skin). i get a warm washcloth and pat my face, massage oil in, and repeat that a few times (2-4). then get the towel cold and hold it over my face to close the pores back up. like i said, i added a little more argon and rosehip today to balance the castor.

Oy, I'm not much help. I wear foundation/make up so infrequently that anything I use won't typically destroy my skin in a few hours. I say BB creams are as good as any foundation for wanting light coverage, and [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] said the cheapest best thing (I think she was talking about foundation, I don't know..) was Monistat chafing cream .. apparently it's just the same as all those flawless finishing gel-to-powder things but way cheaper.

dude i did my sister's makeup for her wedding and used this on her. i was so impressed by it. it seriously feels like a dream going on, so even and smooth. i should get that for myself, it always just seemed like a luxury to me.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

YES. fuck yes.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13748]five[/MENTION]sounds - Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer tinted moisturizer makes for a nice lightweight, natural-looking foundation. That, or their Healthy Skin Glow Sheers tinted moisturizer. Personally I prefer Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte tinted moisturizer, but if you have dry skin issues, then you'd want something that doesn't have a matte finish. Revlon's tinted BB/CC creams are fairly skin-friendly, too, but I prefer Neutrogena over Revlon. Neutrogena's got some decent medicated concealer for blemishes, as well.

Oh! I forgot- new CC-cream from Physician's Formula - Physicians Formula

06226.jpg

My INTP friend bought some recently - it's got decent coverage & doesn't break her out/irritate her skin. Worth checking out; I love that brand.

I'm a big fan of their spf30 loose powder, as well.
Physicians Formula

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Any suggestions for very, very, VERY dry/flaky and sensitive skin? I like the face lotion I'm using (Cetaphil DailyAdvance), but I'm not sure if my overall routine is cutting it.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Any suggestions for very, very, VERY dry/flaky and sensitive skin? I like the face lotion I'm using (Cetaphil DailyAdvance), but I'm not sure if my overall routine is cutting it.

My skin is annoyingly sensitive, so I use baby products -What else you expect form a girl who still eats clerelac xD-
baby lotion, baby wet wipers, baby powder instead of dry shampoo, baby shampoo etc.
So I basically smell like new born babies. Fragrance can fix this.
Also I’d suggest you try baby oil at night time, it’ll also thickens your skin.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ

I know this has been recommended a gazillion times, but the Neutrogena healthy skin, every morning.
healthy-skin-anti-wrinkle-cream-night_4.png

Also, use night cream before bed. It helps a lot in the morning and the rest of the day.

Screen+shot+2013-05-26+at+5.00.17+PM.png
coconut+oil.jpg
M-185.jpg

Jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. I use Jojoba every night.

I prefer to use Origin's Drink UP 10 minute mask, but I leave it on. I use it maybe once a week.
s1376011-main-hero-300.jpg

Don't forget to drink lots of water!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I know this has been recommended a gazillion times, but the Neutrogena healthy skin, every morning.

Is that a cream that's useful for oily skin too? .. I have really oily skin, but the cleanser I use on my face dries it all out.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm. Thick skin doesn't sound like an attribute for some reason. Unless it's a man's callused hands.

I just wanted to say I'm totally missing my face oil. I ran out and have been using extra virgin organic olice oil with some essential oil in it, but I can tell it neither is as good a humectant as my blend, nor does it keep my face as soft. I have dry skin so I have to slather with oil pretty much all day long. (except when i'm wearing makeup). I don't wear foundation for this reason, and because I feel like powder is enough for the most part.

Aphrodite's Awesome Facial Oil Blend:

1/3 part evening primrose oil (organic)
1/3 part rosehip seed oil (organic)
[i order the above oils from rose mountain herbs out of oregon]
1/3 part extra virgin organic olive oil
10 drops essential oil of your liking,

in about a 4 ounce spray bottle.

Apply generously after exfoliating (I make my own loofa soap and use that for exfoliating) and liberally throughout the day. These oils have the highest GLA content available and help with aging and scarring. And the eos kill germs, inhibiting acne and helping to keep you from getting ill, along with other beneficial side effects, emotional and physical!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And just fyi. Coconut oil is good to use in soap making, but using it straight on the skin every day promotes drying because of its pH; it changes the skin's mantle. You might think, well, i have oily skin so this is good, but i suspect it does it in a way as to make your skin layered, as with eczema? Like thicker. Jojoba is a good oil for your body, but i'd not use it on your face.

I have just learned these things from making soap and cream and oils for my own face and body over the years. Cocoa butter is fun to work with, and to use in preparations or salves. Shea butter is the popular cream now, but I prefer cocoa butter because I LOVE that subtle, deep, chocolatey smell~ :wubbie:

I'd Love to have a bff who wanted to do my makeup and hair. how fun would that be?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone..?

Green concealer stick. Supposed to neutralize redness. Never used it before. Heard good things, though. Hoping to minimize some redness from my recent surgery, just for the night.

Does it go on before or after foundation?
Any other tips on this stuff?

Leaving at 5:30pm/Eastern.
Thx.
[MENTION=21890]Codex[/MENTION] or anyone else who knows anything about makeup application. Brain fails me atm for names. :doh: