• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
whenever I’ve used it I put the retin on...wait for a minute or two...and then put on lotion.

This is actually what I meant by "mixing". (I didn't specify).I've been avoiding adding moisturizer afterward, because I assumed it would interfere - and then skipping nights sporadically when my skin felt too dry.

I think OA said something about it in another thread. If I find it, I'll link it here.

Starry

This is actually what I meant by "mixing". (I didn't specify).I've been avoiding adding moisturizer afterward, because I assumed it would interfere - and then skipping nights sporadically when my skin felt too dry.

I think OA said something about it in another thread. If I find it, I'll link it here.

Got it...then yah definitely do that. I don’t know the proper terms or the reasons why but (where’s Lexicon?)...following with a moisturizer is beneficial in more ways than one as far as Retinol is concerned.

Years ago...long before I had a jowl or crow’s foot in my very near future I was prescribed Retin A for something that ended up being a misdiagnosis (I don’t know what they thought I had...maybe like Rosacea...when in reality I had an allergy...and I was actually instructed to mix it with a tiny bit of lotion in order to get it spread evenly over my face so I know you can mix-mix as well if need be.)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Got it...then yah definitely do that. I don’t know the proper terms or the reasons why but (where’s Lexicon?)...following with a moisturizer is beneficial in more ways than one as far as Retinol is concerned.

Years ago...long before I had a jowl or crow’s foot in my very near future I was prescribed Retin A for something that ended up being a misdiagnosis (I don’t know what they thought I had...maybe like Rosacea...when in reality I had an allergy...and I was actually instructed to mix it with a tiny bit of lotion in order to get it spread evenly over my face so I know you can mix-mix as well if need be.)

haha re 'jowl', arg... yah I'm getting to be that age where jowls might begin to become more of a feature going forward lol :laugh:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you skin care smarties know about mixing Retin A (tretinoin creme) with moisturizer? I'm concerned about diminishing the Retin A's efficacy.

Don't? Wait a certain amount of time after applying the Retin A before using moisturizer?

I’ve been on tretinoin 0.1% cream (strongest concentration) for about 3 yrs, now. I worked my way up from the weaker concentrations over the course of a decade, but they are all equally effective for wrinkles. I use it for that & cystic acne.

According to my dermatologist(s) over the yrs, mixing with moisturizer will NOT reduce its effectiveness at all. Although it often comes in a cream form, tretinoin is not moisturizing, and using a facial moisturizer with it every night is a MUST.

Idk if you get any irritation (people take awhile to adjust) like peeling/redness/burning. If you have any issues with that, always apply tretinoin 20 minutes after you wash your face for the night. The water in your pores before 20min increases its absorbency rate, increasing irritation by a lot.

After cleansing, you can apply a thin layer of a facial moisturizer right away. I like CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (I get the CVS brand version of it, same ingredients, cheaper, & not tested on animals). I use about 2-3 pumps of that right after cleansing, then apply the retin-a 20 min after. In winter I will apply another layer of CeraVe/CVS lotion on top of the retin-a at the end, just because I get more dry during that time of yr.

CeraVe Lotion is lightweight, contains niacinamide (great anti aging ingredient AND helps reduce retinoids irritation without reducing its performance). It also has some wonderful, highly beneficial fatty acids/ceramides that your skin will drink up.

What *can* reduce the effectiveness of a topical retinoid is using any kind of AHA/BHA (alpha or beta hydroxy acid) along with it. While those ingredients are excellent for exfoliation, anti aging, & acne, it’s best to reserve them for the daytime. Chemically, they counteract the effectiveness of retinoids when applied at the same time. Examples of AHA/BHAs include glycolic acid & salicylic acid.

Vitamin C & benzoyl peroxide also negate the effectiveness of retinoids when either one (or both) are applied at night when you’re on a retinoid.

If you do use any of those, use them exclusively in the morning. If you haven’t tried them but plan to, make sure you introduce them into your morning routine slowly, as nightly retinoid use makes your skin more sensitive, so you may experience more irritation with those products at first.

Products containing niacinamide are okay for AM & PM. Will not negate the effectiveness of any topicals. Olay Regenerist serum is a great one, but CeraVe lotions are less expensive & have quite a lot of niacinamide in them, too. You can also use those together.

And always ALWAYS wear a sunscreen of spf 30 or higher. Even if it’s overcast. Even if you’re just indoors but near large windows. And reapply every 2 hrs. CeraVe’s AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion is a great one (as is its CVS Brand version).

I saw mention of concern about jowls in some subsequent posts( [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION]? ). Retinoids can help with that a little, but genetics always play a role. Sun exposure/smoking play a HUGE role in skin laxity. Blue light from electronic devices (HEV light) can also damage your skin over time. Blue light filters (Night Shift mode on your Apple products, programs online like f.lux, twilight, or HEV filtering screen covers/protectors) & physical (mineral - zinc oxide) sunscreens are useful in minimizing HEV exposure. Bonus is that it can help with sleep regulation, as well, which of course is a skin health factor, too.

Another culprit for jowls & turkey neck that people may not realize is how often you’re looking down. At phones, books, computer monitors. My plastic surgeon (who has done reconstructive scar revisions for me over the yrs) mentioned she’s seeing a lot more women now for mid/lower-face lifts in younger age brackets to correct jowls/neck sagging. Surgeons are referring to it as ‘computer face.’ It’s something we should all be mindful of in the digital age. Try to hold your head straight, and reading materials up to your eye level, whenever possible.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], awesome! Thanks. I've been using tretinoin .05% for about two years now. It helps with whiteheads and evens out my complexion a lot. I've rarely used moisturizer with it. It didn't even occur to me to ask the dermatologist. It's a relief to hear it doesn't interfere. I may even ask the derm to bump the next prescription up to .1% if moisturizer helps.

It looks like my current moisturizer would have been slightly incompatible anyway (Aveeno Clear Complexion - it has salicylic acid). And it looks like the one you use doesn't have Avobenzone (sunscreen in most face moisturizers, that I have to avoid), likely cos it's "pm", so I think I'll try it. I used to use CeraVe moisturizer, and only stopped because it had started staining my clothes (Avobenzone + well water = rust stains).

And the thing about benzoyl peroxide is news to me as well. Lots of helpful info there.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION], awesome! Thanks. I've been using tretinoin .05% for about two years now. It helps with whiteheads and evens out my complexion a lot. I've rarely used moisturizer with it. It didn't even occur to me to ask the dermatologist. It's a relief to hear it doesn't interfere. I may even ask the derm to bump the next prescription up to .1% if moisturizer helps.

It looks like my current moisturizer would have been slightly incompatible anyway (Aveeno Clear Complexion - it has salicylic acid). And it looks like the one you use doesn't have Avobenzone (sunscreen in most face moisturizers, that I have to avoid), likely cos it's "pm", so I think I'll try it. I used to use CeraVe moisturizer, and only stopped because it had started staining my clothes (Avobenzone + well water = rust stains).

And the thing about benzoyl peroxide is news to me as well. Lots of helpful info there.

I think CeraVe recently modified their AM moisturizer’s sunscreen ingredients. It doesn’t contain avobenzone. It also now includes invisible zinc oxide, so it’s a super broad spectrum sunscreen. Might be worth a shot. I use it on my neck, but it works great on the face, too.

I just prefer this EltaMD tinted sunscreen for my face, as it blurs scars & matches my super pale skin better than most foundations. I use the CeraVe PM moisturizer underneath it. It’s great as a daytime lotion, as long as you couple it with some sort of sunscreen.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I'll keep an eye out for CeraVe moisturizer with zinc oxide. I got some CeraVe sunscreen just last week to try - it was the only one without Avobenzone (using zinc oxide instead) - but last time I checked the moisturizer still had it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I'll keep an eye out for CeraVe moisturizer with zinc oxide. I got some CeraVe sunscreen just last week to try - it was the only one without Avobenzone (using zinc oxide instead) - but last time I checked the moisturizer still had it.

Yeah, the switch in the moisturizer was fairly recent (within the past year, I think... I have WAY too much time on my hands, haha). It’s possible there’s still some stock of the old formula floating around stores. The CVS brand version of it is avobenzone-free, too, with zinc oxide in its place.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, the switch in the moisturizer was fairly recent (within the past year, I think... I have WAY too much time on my hands, haha). It’s possible there’s still some stock of the old formula floating around stores. The CVS brand version of it is avobenzone-free, too, with zinc oxide in its place.

I was conflating Cetaphil with CeraVe. :doh: :laugh: It's Cetaphil that I used to use (and which still uses Avobenzone).

Now I know there's a moisturizer with sunscreen that's safe for my clothes. This is the thread that keeps on giving.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
m_5abd2a94f9e50139cc0eb32e.jpeg

The Tarteist Double Take Eyeliner is my new favorite makeup product. It's a liquid liner/pencil liner combo in one tube and both sides are awesomely pigmented, apply like a dream and stay where they're supposed to the whole day. The product is also vegan, cruelty free, and great for people who wear contacts. At $24 a tube, it's not cheap but IMO it's totally worth it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

The Tarteist Double Take Eyeliner is my new favorite makeup product. It's a liquid liner/pencil liner combo in one tube and both sides are awesomely pigmented, apply like a dream and stay where they're supposed to the whole day. The product is also vegan, cruelty free, and great for people who wear contacts. At $24 a tube, it's not cheap but IMO it's totally worth it.

They make a fantastic deodorant. I got a travel size with some other samples and it's great. It's vegan too for anyone that's looking for something and it lasts all day. They also make a buildable contour soft pencil that I would also endorse.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have perennially dry eyelids and the eye creams I've tried are not helping me. Help me, beauty nerds!

I read so much about CeraVe, even the Asian Beauty reddit group I belong to talk about it often. They make an eye repair cream with ceramides (helps with redness and dryness) and hyaluronic acid (holds in moisture like nothing else, I use it everyday.). It's a little more expensive than drug store regular stuff but worth it from the reviews.

CeraVe_EyeRepairCream_v013.png

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I love that eyeliner! I also like the Kat Von D version as well, though it only has the felt tip end. It retails for $20 on Sephora.com
When I was a makeup artist, I wanted to use these on my clients SO bad, but they're a pain to sanitize from person to person, so I just use them on myself :D

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wanting to find some organic makeup that is still reasonably priced and effective. Any good products out there y’all have tried or know of?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wanting to find some organic makeup that is still reasonably priced and effective. Any good products out there y’all have tried or know of?

I don't know about organic make-up, but if you go to a day spa in Japan and pay them $200, they'll let snails crawl across your face. For $400, I bet they could get you a scorpion, or probably an octopus. They'd probably have an easier time finding an octopus....The idea seems really organic to me though. Like, they put the nature directly on your face. So someone who likes organic stuff might like that.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know about organic make-up, but if you go to a day spa in Japan and pay them $200, they'll let snails crawl across your face. For $400, I bet they could get you a scorpion, or probably an octopus. They'd probably have an easier time finding an octopus....The idea seems really organic to me though. Like, they put the nature directly on your face. So someone who likes organic stuff might like that.

Snail essence is fantastic for problem skin. Didn't really believe that when I started using it but - true.

The only organic affordable lines I know of are Burt's Bees and Physician's Formula has some organic products.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Snail essence is fantastic for problem skin. Didn't really believe that when I started using it but it - true.

The only organic affordable lines I know of are Burt's Bees and Physician's Formula has some organic products.

I was amazed at how soft my skin felt after using facial masks with snail extract in them. I only had two. They were samples. I don't really understand the benefit of these Korean face mask thingies. I would rather just put on some lotion as opposed to laying a paper-y thing filled with lotion on my face. So now I'm trying to find some snail lotion. I read it was best if it was fresh, so I considered ordering some snails or something, but then I'd have to feed them and keep them alive. Do you recommend any brand?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I was amazed at how soft my skin felt after using facial masks with snail extract in them. I only had two. They were samples. I don't really understand the benefit of these Korean face mask thingies. I would rather just put on some lotion as opposed to laying a paper-y thing filled with lotion on my face. So now I'm trying to find some snail lotion. I read it was best if it was fresh, so I considered ordering some snails or something, but then I'd have to feed them and keep them alive. Do you recommend any brand?

I use sheet masks every other day in the winter, twice a week in summer but I prefer ones with Hyaluronic acid over other things although Klairs Rich Moist Sheet Mask have been working great for me this winter. When I started using K-beauty products, Cosrx, Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence was one of the first things I bought. Inexpensive, easy to find and effective, 96% Snail Secretion Filtrate (Mucin).

Ingrid in grids

I read so much about CeraVe, even the Asian Beauty reddit group I belong to talk about it often. They make an eye repair cream with ceramides (helps with redness and dryness) and hyaluronic acid (holds in moisture like nothing else, I use it everyday.). It's a little more expensive than drug store regular stuff but worth it from the reviews.

CeraVe_EyeRepairCream_v013.png

Thank you for recommending this to me, [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]! The dryness on my eyelids cleared up after one day of using this. It's by far the best thing I've used. I'm so happy with it!