• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Makeup, Beauty, and Health Products Thread

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]
I heart coxrx!
For bumpiness, BHA is the right track as well as retin-a and vitamin c. Although ALL of it might be a bit much....
IMO an AHA is best for skin texture and treating blemishes, and cosrx makes a great AHA serum called AHA whitehead power liquid. It's obviously for whiteheads (little bumpy acne that is not inflamed), but it works for my inflammatory and even hormonal cystic acne too.
Im not sure what kind of redness you mean... general redness or hyperpigmentation? AHA will help a lot with hyperpigmentation, as will retin-a and vitamin c. The cosrx BHA and AHA serums have nianmiacide which is supposed to be great for both kinds of redness. Centella Asiatica is in a lot of K beauty too and is supposed to be great for soothing redness too. Although I tried the cosrx centella blemish cream but it didn't seem to do much and I use enough products... XD
Anyhow, everything you are doing is speeding up exfoliation which can help with preventing breakouts and improving texture, and it can help with discoloration, BUT, it can also make your skin raw and sensitive to the sun. That means redness if you're fair. So you need moisturizers that soothe and protect.
The snail mucin and honey ampoules might help. I'm using Klairs rich moist soothing cream which is really gentle. They make a night blue calming cream that gets good reviews. Might be worth checking out.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
The retinol seems quite gentle - no irritation. I have very fair skin, but about four years ago maybe, it started being a bit pink all the time if I didn't use foundation or bb cream. I assume it has to do with aging. At that time, I mostly only was wearing sun screen. I'll look up the things you mentioned.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never tried oil cleansers. Do they feel oily? Also I didn't realize Eucerin has SPF.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys think about sunscreen? Any strong opinions?

Ceecee answered the oily question but I wanted to add that before I tried oil cleansers, I had that Goldilocks problem where I couldn't find a cleaser that wasn't too drying, too harsh, to mild, caused irritation. Yadda. If you have that issue, I highly recommend oil cleasers as they could be a good fit that is overlooked because oil = stigma of clogging pores but the cleansers don't have the same viscosity. They are light.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh hey! I missed those two posts of yours, ceecee. Thank you for the info!

Also thanks MDP!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
So I bought miscellar water to try and can't believe the amount of junk it got off my face and chest after I thought that was clean. Also bought cleansing oil, but it has no direction for use. I just kind of put a dropper full on, added water and rubbed my face a little and then rinsed with a washcloth. I liked how it felt after.

I did order the cosrx aha stuff as well as the mucin snail stuff. Also, anyone have opinions about blue tansy oil? I was told it's good to reduce inflammation in skin.

I'm doing a month long liver cleanse where I take certain supplements, eat super clean, exercise every day, and get extra sleep. I'm curious whether it will make a difference for my skin. My lymphatic system isn't working as it should, which means inflammation everywhere in my body, so I'm hoping this gives it a boost. I'm already doing dry brushing, juicing, rebounding etc - all the standard stuff they say that helps with that.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been shaving my face the pasts couple of weeks with a disposal eyebrow razor. It's amazing. I've noticed my makeup goes on way easier and my hyperpigmentation is fading quicker. I've also incorporated high quality olive oil to wash my face with/moisturize and I've noticed my PIH fading super quick and no longer having a lot of redness.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
if anyone is interested in cheap nail polish, I've found Wet n Wild to be a good brand.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hair stuff.

I have ridiculously thick, coarse hair. I’ve kept it short (pixie length) since I was about 17, though I’ve let it grow back out over the past couple years. It’s down to my shoulders now. My mother forced me to keep it long (past my butt) throughout childhood. Maddening memories of mounds of monstrous mats meander about my mind.

And now, they’ve come back. Every morning is a damned rats’ nest. Layers of knots. I keep my hair in a low ponytail for sleep; it’s mostly intact when I wake up. I can’t braid. I try & my inept, spidery fingers just get tangled/confused.

Anyone know what the best sort of brush or comb is for detangling serious mats without damaging your hair? Or a non-oily detangling spray?

Also looking for a decent, affordable (read: cheap) 2in1 shampoo/conditioner for color-treated hair. Winter’s coming, & sometimes the hot water doesn’t last as long in the colder months, so this would be a great time reducer every so often. Nothing super oily, as oily hair products tend to cause breakouts for me/my hair ends up looking greasy within a day.

Thanks in advance.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hair stuff.

I have ridiculously thick, coarse hair. I’ve kept it short (pixie length) since I was about 17, though I’ve let it grow back out over the past couple years. It’s down to my shoulders now. My mother forced me to keep it long (past my butt) throughout childhood. Maddening memories of mounds of monstrous mats meander about my mind.

And now, they’ve come back. Every morning is a damned rats’ nest. Layers of knots. I keep my hair in a low ponytail for sleep; it’s mostly intact when I wake up. I can’t braid. I try & my inept, spidery fingers just get tangled/confused.

Anyone know what the best sort of brush or comb is for detangling serious mats without damaging your hair? Or a non-oily detangling spray?

Also looking for a decent, affordable (read: cheap) 2in1 shampoo/conditioner for color-treated hair. Winter’s coming, & sometimes the hot water doesn’t last as long in the colder months, so this would be a great time reducer every so often. Nothing super oily, as oily hair products tend to cause breakouts for me/my hair ends up looking greasy within a day.

Thanks in advance.

L'Oreal makes a sulfate free drugstore priced shampoo - that's ideal for colored hair. I also have an problem with tangled hair - mostly at the base of my head. It's maddening! Anyway, I started using a WET Brush to get the tangles out but I found they also make a detangler. Works great and it's about $15. The brush is about $10.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've been having a really hard time with my skin for the past few months. I've moved to another country, I'm eating differently, very stressed out at work-- perfect environment for acne to fester( god I hate that word)

I've been buying products to help and it hasn't helped much until I got the below. My skin is quickly clearing up and evening out. I'm so happy! Unfortunately not everything is cruelty free and I'm trying to find an alternative for the Cerave, biore, and possibly, Secret Key...
The Wahmisa, secret key, and Cosrx has made the biggest difference.
GbrvzpJl.jpg

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Finally bought and tried this stuff and I LOVE it. It smells like really pure lavender, nothing soapy or sweet.

Lavender_Level1_a284e673-2083-4ee7-a56c-f67b724a6352_1024x1024.jpg

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Native brand deodorant is the best natural deodorant I've ever found, in amazing seasonal scents. Texture is great and no bad for you ingredients. Male and female scents. Lasts incredibly well.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been having a really hard time with my skin for the past few months. I've moved to another country, I'm eating differently, very stressed out at work-- perfect environment for acne to fester( god I hate that word) I've been buying products to help and it hasn't helped much until I got the below. My skin is quickly clearing up and evening out. I'm so happy! Unfortunately not everything is cruelty free and I'm trying to find an alternative for the Cerave, biore, and possibly, Secret Key... The Wahmisa, secret key, and Cosrx has made the biggest difference.
GbrvzpJl.jpg
Idk what those other things are, but I love that CeraVe night cream. They have an AM one with the same ingredients, plus a broad spectrum stabilized sunscreen. The niacinamide content in both rivals Olay.
I like Biore cleansers, but a lot of their other topicals are a bit too irritating. I haven't seen that particular product in the US. though.

Didn't realize those brands weren't cruelty free. That sucks.
I've been buying the CVS brand version of the CeraVe PM lotion from time to time because it's a few bucks cheaper. All the same ingredients with the exception of a few fillers, but they too are noncomedogenic. Apparently CVS has a cruelty free policy for CVS brand products. Not sure if you could get this stuff where you are, but it's worth a shot.
"CVS Health PM Moisturizing Facial Lotion For Normal to Dry Skin, 3 OZ"
https://cvshealth.com/sites/default/files/cvs-pharmacy-store-brands-animal-testing-policy.pdf

Do any of those other products contain vitamin A derivatives? Retinol, retinyl palimitate, tretinoin, etc. I've had really good experiences with retinoids & acne, long term. Can't remember if we've chatted about that before...

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Cos RX makes a really nice low pH cleansing gel. I love it - non drying but my face feels super clean after.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Cos RX makes a really nice low pH cleansing gel. I love it - non drying but my face feels super clean after.

I love it too. I started using a silicone face brush with it as I've been having some redness and it's quite gentle. I have yet to find a Cos Rx product I don't like.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
A silicon face brush? I've never heard of such a thing? Does it look like those silicon brushes that you put BBQ sauces on meat with or is there way finer of strands?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
A silicon face brush? I've never heard of such a thing? Does it look like those silicon brushes that you put BBQ sauces on meat with or is there way finer of strands?

Haha no. This is the exact one I use, fine at the top, regular in the middle, deep pore at the bottom.

61ol15q5VEL._SY450_.jpg

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh! I think I even have one of those somewhere! I never thought of using it to apply cleanser with. What a good idea!

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will not talk here about a specific product, but a natural remedy that worked really amazing with my damaged-frizzy hair, no product I used in my entire life brought this satisfying result that this brought to me, my hair became soft, shiny, fuzz free, it boosted my self esteem! And that is cornstarch..

There are two ways that works very good for me:
A repairing hair mask:
I would first apply some coconut oil (you can apply any oil you’re comfortable with) to help moisturize and nourish my hair, I find the coconut oil texture to be easier to get through the hair cuticles.. I would leave it for 20 minuets, rinse it thoroughly focusing on the roots, then part my hair into sections and apply a mixture of cornstarch+water+rose-water (it doesn’t matter if it’s a bit runny), and I would run my fingers gently through every section to straighten it up (get it as straight as I can) then I would the hair into a bun, wait for it until it is dry enough and a little stiff (not too dry though) then I would gently rinse it with cold water..
(It’s a time consuming process, I made an oil+cornstarch mask that would take less time for application and I’m gonna try it and see if it works)

A dry shampoo:
Between the washes, I would scoop some cornstarch with my hands throughout the day and run it lightly through my hair, it absorbs oils and leaves the hair soft, shiny and healthy looking

I hope this was helpful ^_^