• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Acid Reflux/Heartburn - Burn in hell.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For fuck's sake. I'm 21. This isn't supposed to be a problem yet. But yet like clockwork, I get it. For hours. Either in the morning or after I eat salad.

*TMI*
Burping the food back up is very gross.
*/TMI*

Don't know why I'm posting this here, but w/e. Even antacids don't work anymore. FML.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Tell me about it. I had to have an endoscopy done 5 or 6 years ago to make sure I wasn't in danger of developing esophageal cancer.

Heart burn blows, but as long as I'm on my prilosec, I can keep it to a manageable minimum.

R

RDF

Yeah, get on a daily dose of Nexium (prescription version) or Prilosec (OTC version) for managing an ongoing case of gastritis, and use Zantac or Pepsid or whatever (all OTC) for handling occasional flare-ups. If it doesn't improve after a couple weeks, go check with a gastroenterologist. You may have to get on Nexium for life. Some people are just geared toward high acidity and touchy stomachs. Luckily, the meds keep it under control with just about zero side effects.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dill pickles works really, really well with heartburn. Everytime I get it, I'll eat one and it goes away in about 5 mintues. It has something to do with the acids of the pickle will cause the stomach to produce stuff that counters it. I don't think it's good to be eating antacids all the time.. there is a reason you are getting this and you need to figure out the reason and change the eating habbits. Stress can also cause some of these issues, but I've been running on excessive stress much of my life and don't see a correlation. It's what I eat.. if I ever have soda, energy drinks, smoke a cigarette, tomato based foods, pizza, some mexican, etc. Do yourself a favor and make yourself eat only fruit and veggies for like, 4 days. It's important that you don't mix the fruit and veggies.. eat fruit with fruit and veggies with veggies. I swear that if you do this you will see a huge shift in how acidic levels of your body. It also regulates bowel movements just make sure your eating bananas.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dill pickles works really, really well with heartburn. Everytime I get it, I'll eat one and it goes away in about 5 mintues. It has something to do with the acids of the pickle will cause the stomach to produce stuff that counters it. I don't think it's good to be eating antacids all the time.. there is a reason you are getting this and you need to figure out the reason and change the eating habbits. Stress can also cause some of these issues, but I've been running on excessive stress much of my life and don't see a correlation. It's what I eat.. if I ever have soda, energy drinks, smoke a cigarette, tomato based foods, pizza, some mexican, etc. Do yourself a favor and make yourself eat only fruit and veggies for like, 4 days. It's important that you don't mix the fruit and veggies.. eat fruit with fruit and veggies with veggies. I swear that if you do this you will see a huge shift in how acidic levels of your body. It also regulates bowel movements just make sure your eating bananas.

That's what's strange. It's fruits and veggies (separate) that give me heartburn. Especially tropical fruits, like mangos or pineapple. I tried a raw food diet once - ended up 98lbs at 5'11 and having to be checked for GERD.

I'll have to try the pickles - but I tried raw cider vinegar and holy fuckamoly, it felt like a fire was being lit in my throat all night long.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tell me about it. I had to have an endoscopy done 5 or 6 years ago to make sure I wasn't in danger of developing esophageal cancer.

Heart burn blows, but as long as I'm on my prilosec, I can keep it to a manageable minimum.

Cancer? :ninja:

Yeah, get on a daily dose of Nexium (prescription version) or Prilosec (OTC version) for managing an ongoing case of gastritis, and use Zantac or Pepsid or whatever (all OTC) for handling occasional flare-ups. If it doesn't improve after a couple weeks, go check with a gastroenterologist. You may have to get on Nexium for life. Some people are just geared toward high acidity and touchy stomachs. Luckily, the meds keep it under control with just about zero side effects.

eh....I suspect your right. :( Do the meds build up a tolerance though?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's what's strange. It's fruits and veggies (separate) that give me heartburn. Especially tropical fruits, like mangos or pineapple. I tried a raw food diet once - ended up 98lbs at 5'11 and having to be checked for GERD.

I'll have to try the pickles - but I tried raw cider vinegar and holy fuckamoly, it felt like a fire was being lit in my throat all night long.

Okay, thats interesting. It is possible for some very citrus fruits to cause heartburn, also sometimes if they are highly sugary the body can have a hard time processing, but on the whole, fruits and veggies shouldn't be doing that. When I've heard people talk about these problems, it almost always comes down to an underlying stomach blances issue, or a metabolic issue. I'm not trying to freak you out. But you probably should have a doctor check you out. At 21 it is very unlikely you'd have something major going on.

R

RDF

If you burp up a lot of acid into your throat across a period of years, apparently it can cause your throat and esophagus to take a lot of damage and even cause cancer there. In fact, the difference between Nexium and Prilosec is that Nexium has an ingredient to help heal the throat.

It’s not a common thing, but a lot of people live with acid reflux for years and don’t consider that all that burping of acid may be tearing up their esophagus. Best to address the problem and get some control over all that acid slopping around your gastric system.

Do the meds build up a tolerance though?

Not to my knowledge. As far as I know, once you get the proper dose figured out, you shouldn’t have to vary it much. I’ve been taking pretty much the same dose of stomach medication from age 27 to age 55. If anything, the dosage has gone down considerably now that I’m retired and have reduced overall stress.

Some people have hyperacidity and can require tremendous amounts of medicine to get it under control. But that’s pretty rare.

@Huxley:

Pickles usually solve stomach upsets because of the high salt content of pickles; salt neutralizes acid. But it’s not a good long-term solution: Too much salt can give you problems with high blood pressure.

As for your other suggestions, it depends on the individual. For most people, fatty foods increase acid production, and bready foods provide some relief (by soaking up the excess acid in the stomach). But you don’t want to be eating bready foods all the time--you’ll gain weight quickly.

Other foods are a case-by-case thing. For me, roughage (raw veggies, salads, etc.) aggravates my stomach because it’s difficult to digest. Meantime, I'm perfectly fine with pizza, mexican, and spicy foods, because they tend to be bready and help soak up the extra acid for me. Really, everyone just needs to see what foods make them personally feel better and what foods make them feel worse.

Also, a lot depends on the cause.

1) A case of gastritis can be temporary. A week or two of prilosec and zantac may provide enough relief to let the stomach heal itself.

2) A long-term case of gastritis can be caused by a bacteria: Heliobacter pylori (look it up in wiki). A gastroenterologist can do the test and prescribe a treatment of antibiotics and PPIs.

3) A long-term case of gastritis can be caused by genetics and natural high level of acid production and stress. Ultimately, the only long-term solution may be to get on a permanent treatment of meds, as I described in my previous post.

4) And so on. There are other possible causes. A gastroenterologist would have to investigate to spot them, though.

Ultimately, if the problem lasts more than a couple weeks then you should probably see a gastroenterologist and at least let him/her rule out a bacteriological cause.

R

RDF

Also, note your treatment options:
--Antacid = Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, etc. Works instantly, but relief only lasts 15 minutes. If you're having a real bad upset stomach, you may need multiple doses. Active ingredient is usually aluminum hydroxide, which neutralizes acid the same way that salt does (but without causing high blood pressure).
--H2 blocker = Zantac (Ranitidine), Pepcid, etc. Takes about 15-45 minutes to kick in, but usually works for 4-6 hours. Tends to come in a couple different strengths. It chemically slows down or even shuts off the actual production of gastric acid. Better for big upsets or as "maintenance" dosing. Also good for things like taking one at bedtime to keep the stomach under control while you sleep, or one before a heavy meal.
--PPIs = Prilosec, Nexium. Take daily, good for 24 hours. Good for "maintenance" dosing, i.e., keeping a touchy, irritable stomach under control for long periods of time.