• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alternatives to Champix (a quit smoking thread)

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I've had to stop taking Champix...not because I became a homicidal manic, luckily but because I developed a nasty rash. I hadn't even reached my cold turkey date! (I was day eight, planning to quit on the weekend).
So, I'm at a loss. Does any one have any suggestions? Patches are out because I'm allergic to those too.
Gum actually works for me, but I do stupid things like run out when I'm oncall on a sunday night at 3am, and as you can only get them from chemists, which aren't open then, it's really kinda bad managment on my part.

Has any one tried Zyban? How'd that work for you?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Not tried Zyban personally (yet).

Have you tried the little sweeties you put under your tongue for 10 minutes (or until it dissolves)? Edit - They are called Niquitin Minis 1.5mg (cherry is better than mint)
How about the inhaler?
Apparently a spray has just come out (in the UK anyway) ..

I'm running out of options.

How about willpower? .. Major flaw for me.

Sellotape over the mouth is an option i may consider at some point, lol.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The pastille thingies? I have. They weren't bad, liked the gum better. I feel the same way as you Saslou, though, I think I gonna have to do some thing drastic like sew my lips shut, although knowing me, I'd find some way to still suck on the cancers sticks. It's just getting to be a really annoying habit, and well, people treat you as though you have the plauge these days. If they sold gum and patches etc like they do cigerettes (and make them as freely available), it would be a much more viable option. Especially for people who do lots of night shifts, and on call work.
I was told that the inhaler was for heavy smokers. I'm not a particularly heavy smoker. Vary from 5-15, a day. I guess that's why it's irrating I can't stop.
I think it's because I'll lose my excuse to duct out of work or where ever for five minutes peace and quiet. (I know that's what the bathrooms for, but it's not the same!) Some times that five minutes is what keeps me holding on to sanity at work. People tend ask questions if you sit on a bench staring at nothing if you don't have a ciggie in your hand.