• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advantages of smoking

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I quit smoking 5 months ago (Praise Champix!), and I am very proud of that and see the many advantages of being an ex-smoker.

However, being a smoker had some advantages in itself that I miss.
- It is easier to stand the smell of cigarettes if you smoke yourself
- It structures your day around your daily smoke-breaks
- Smokers form social subgroups. During smoke-breaks, we often had most interesting discussions that non-smokers don't seem to have.

Any thoughts or other advantages?

PS: thanks to Whatever for the inspiration :)
PPS: don't get me wrong, I wouldn't dream of promoting smoking...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
But in all seriousness, I used to smoke, and I just enjoyed it, and goddamn it, that's as good of an advantage as an advantage can be. ;)

Last edited:

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I enjoy it and it's better than a nerve pill. But that's prolly about it. :cry:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In the 3 months that I tried to get addicted to smoking (because it was cool) I noticed that smoking is a great activity to retreat into your introversion and focus inward, even if you're coughing the whole time. ;)

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've only read a couple of posts and the subject. I'm just going to throw this out. It is, naturally, not publicized very well but a good friend was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and made what I considered an odd statement. He said "I knew it. I was diagnosed in the same week I quit smoking two years ago." I asked what that had to do with it and he said he knew so many people who were diagnosed with cancer right about the two year mark after quitting that he made it a point to research it. I have not done so but my Mother died of pancreatic cancer 2 years and 2 months after quitting. She died 2 months after being diagnosed.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
That is a really scary thought.
What does it mean? Stop smoking or not?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
mippus I would suggest anyone who wants to be healthier should quit smoking. Life's a crap shoot. You could walk outside and down the street and be hit and killed by a minivan, but preventative measures in my mind are the way to go.

I quit last year. Something I never thought would be possible, but I rarely have cravings and can actually breath instead of hacking and coughing with the occasional wheeze. Sexy right? :dry: I did put on a few pounds but that's the only disadvantage. Gaining weight after quitting has forced me to watch what I eat and also drink tons of water which also helps btw when you're trying to quit. I used the patch but it can be strong and make you feel nauseated, so I would suggest starting out small first and then if you need to go up several mg's you can do so. Or better yet, do what works for you. :)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Jen, thanks for the advice, but I am proud to say that I have been smokefree for the last 5 months :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
you smell and taste like an ashtray, so would attract all the hot chicks who love a ciggie-man?

:D

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Pay raise. More breaks at work (therefore smokers receive a higher per hour salary :)). As a non-smoker, I used to question how it was socially acceptable to take a break every couple of hours to go outside and smoke. So I decided to experiment (imagine that, me test authority and social standards) and take a non-smoke break and just sit outside and read every time a coworker went outside to smoke. Nobody noticed but it was hard for me to actually remember to physically get up and leave my computer that often.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
2008-02-25-Smoke.jpg

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Uhhhh... you always have a lighter with you... In the case you need to start a fire?

Seriously... are there any actual advantages?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
you get to pick up people who think smoking is pretty.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For some odd reason I always have enjoyed the conversation with smokers quite a bit! :) You go out for a smoke break and there are several other people there and you usually talk about something interesting... moreso than most other random assortments of people you don't know (with exception to people in a bar! :rofl1:)

Also, if you work in the service sector it kind of goes along with the job- I have 1 coworker who doesn't smoke (out of 12). When things get slow at the job it's nice to step outside as a group and talk- it's like leaving work behind and socializing as normal people for a bit instead of having to chat about job related stuff :yes:

:ninja: it's also a good place to hide from really unpleasant customers!

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I don't think anyone has mentioned how much it can cozy up a conversation when two smokers are smoking and drinking coffee together. Like the social group bonding thing, it also brings intimacy to much smaller groups.

Beer is much more drinkable with cigarettes (which would be such an advantage for me if I drank beer more often).

And when I think of advantages, I think of the wonderful speech Bebe delivers in Frasier:

Daphne: Well, I smoked for years but I never became addicted. To this day, I can buy a pack, have a cig or two, toss them in a drawer and not crave another for months.
Bebe: You know there's a word for people who can do that... what is it? Oh yes - bitch!
Niles: There's no need to be insulting just because you're wrestling with an unhealthy and disgusting habit.
Bebe: It isn't disgusting; it's wonderful!
Frasier: Now, Bebe, tell me, what is so wonderful about smoking?
Bebe: Everything! I like the way a fresh firm pack feels in my hand. I like peeling away that little piece of cellophane and seeing it twinkle in the light. I like coaxing that first sweet cylinder out of its hiding place and bringing it slowly up to my lips. Striking a match, watching it burst into a perfect little flame and knowing that soon that flame will be inside me! I love the first puff, pulling it into my lungs... little fingers of smoking filling me, caressing me, feeling that warmth penetrate deeper and deeper until I think I'm going to burst! Then... watching it flow out of me in a lovely sinuous cloud, no two ever quite the same!

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
I am in the process the quitting now. 3 days clean. Changing your surroundings really helps the process.

There are advantages to smoking definatley, most of it is mental. But I need to get back into shape, and its hard to do that with smoke in your lungs.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
In the 3 months that I tried to get addicted to smoking (because it was cool) I noticed that smoking is a great activity to retreat into your introversion and focus inward, even if you're coughing the whole time. ;)

This is how I felt about it too. The fact that it's a "social activity" turned me off. I don't want to talk to more people than I have too. When I smoked socially, it was only because I was anxious and felt like I had to be "doing something" so I would appear less awkward.

I smoked the most late at night or early in the morning when I was by myself. It was the perfect amount of "buzz" to get me into a very reflective mood.

Now I shall say the obligatory line: But I'm glad that I quit.