• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychosis and... Me?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I honestly think Oeufa, you're over thinking about to do about your situation, go talk to a professional, like others have said the common person can't diagnose you, I can't, he can't, she can't, and they certaintly can't. or tell you you're fine.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
You're right. Overthinking and underdoing has always been a flaw of mine.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You're right. Overthinking and underdoing has always been a flaw of mine.

mine too. It's easier for me to tell people what they should probably do than it is to convince myself to do what I need to do.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
You guys may see religion, or OCD, or depression, or bipolar, or what have you. But if you have no idea what psychosis is, why do you comment?

I comment because her symptoms (minus the apparent absence of 'compulsions' to alleviate the anxiety) are very similar to some of my own teen-age 'obsessions' and my subsequent reactions to the same. I don't think its unreasonable of me to share information that may be of help to her, so long as she gets the professional help she needs, which is essential no matter what her condition is: there is very little functional difference between becoming like Howard Hughes (which is what can happen when OCD and similar nuerosis go untreated) and being an unmedicated and and unhelped shizophrenic.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
What if there's nothing actually wrong with me? What if all my failure is my own goddamn fault for being so lazy? *sigh*

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
STOP! you'll just go into a think death spiral if you keep doing this just go talk to someone. Because if you're thinking this even if you were lazy in the past the guilt is going to make you unable to function. the hardest thing about life for me is not being able to change the past. If only I always tell myself. Well guess what? If only doesn't matter, only what is. Though it doesn't sound like pure laziness to me.

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Before i start this i'm just going to say, like most already have, that i cannot begin to diagnose you.

Your post actually freaked me out upon first reading it. Like i said in the PM, you may as well be writing what was going through my head at your age.

To sum up quickly, because this is about you, not met, shortly after leaving high school is when the onslaught of these thoughts began. I was raised religious as well and shunned it as i got older. My thoughts were along the same lines of fearing Satan..i was convinced that i would become possessed, i never slept because i thought that's when i was the most vulnerable and the dreams i had were very horrifying. I was ALWAYS looking over my shoulder, literally, terrified that something was about to "get me". And i too, thought i was going crazy..schizophrenic to be specific, because it does run in my family. I was also an over achiever, putting massive amounts of stress on myself and not wanting to burden anyone else. Over the years many people have thought i was bi-polar. I HATED doctors/psychologists and the such. I also held back most of my issues from them, which only hurt me in the long run. AND i was anti-medication... to the extreme.

My diagnoses..clinical depression and social anxiety. Not fun, but a LOT better than what i feared.

I believe Fan Of Devin said something along the lines of if you think you are psychotic, you're probably not... i couldn't agree more. And have had the same thing said to me by psychiatrists.

What INTP said about neuroplasticity is something i wish i knew back when i started to have my problems. I do doubt you are psychotic, schizophrenic or bi-polar.. (again not a doctor though)..but that doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about your mental health.

As for your issue with taking medication... i suggest you stick to your guns on that one. Psychiatrists can be VERY convincing... but if they aren't giving you the proper therapy as well then medication can cause a lot more problems than you had in the first place (i ended up an addict for years, only just got myself clean). So when considering medication, just make sure you are making a well educated decision.

Don't worry too much about seeing a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist. If i had my time back i wish i had seen a psychologist first..they can't medicate you and leave you to your own devices. Unfortunately not all doctors were made equal.

And like Guesswho said many times, STOP GOOGLING SYMPTOMS! You don't need to add more worry and paranoia to your issues. So many mental illnesses have similar symptoms.. it's a complex process to diagnose someone. If i believe everything i googled then all the doctors i've seen are wrong.

You can get help..you don't need to watch life pass you by..i wish someone told me that 10 years ago.

Best of luck to you! If you ever want someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.

Take control, get help, don't hold anything back. Oh..and instead of reading online, you can find some great books about a variety of mental illnesses designed to help you work through things, to help change your thought processes.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Sounds like a boatload of fun :| But thank you. I'll definitely speak to the school counselor. Apparently they're free to visit after all (according to their page anyway). I could have sworn we were told they cost €40. Maybe that was for something else.... :shrug:

EDIT: Apparently it's €40 for a psychiatric consultation...

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Right. Well the office is closed now but I'll pop in first thing tomorrow and book an appointment.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm considering writing out everything before I go so I can show it to the counselor when I have my introductory session. Is this a good idea or just stupid? I'm just afraid I might go in there and only talk about 1 thing when in fact there's a lot of different things bothering me right now... Is a "letter" of this kind unusual?

FakePlasticAlice

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Go for it. If you're worried you'll forget things at least doing so will take that off your mind. I've done it before and there was no strange reaction. It was such a weight off of my shoulders to not have to try to list everything that i could remember.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Cool. I might just do that. If nothing else, writing it all out on paper will help me order my thoughts before I go in I guess.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wow. A lot of stuff in that article does fit and makes sense. Where would I go for a blood test? GP?

Try the Broda Barnes basal method first, their foundation actually goes through the bs of blood test diagnosis on paper to appease the staggering density of orthodox ways and then proceeds to do other things to determine a definite overview like actually listen to the patent. Orthodox almost sounds religious but hell medicine seems to becoming as black and white as religion sometimes. :shrug:

The normal basal body temperature range is between 97.7 and 98.2. Low basal temperatures, below 97.7, may reflect hypothyroidism; high basal temperatures, above 98.2, may be evidence of hyperthyroidism. The function of the thyroid gland can be determined by measuring your basal temperature and that can be done with something as simple as a thermometer.

Use an oral glass thermometer.
Shake the thermometer down before going to bed, and leave it on the bedside table within easy reach.
immediately upon awakening, and with as little movement as possible, place the thermometer firmly in the armpit next to the skin, and leave it in place for 10 minutes.
Record the readings for three consecutive days.

What to do when going to the doctor is asking for more than just TSH which may still practically leave Dr's clueless without them sending you to the endocrinologist.

TSH – Thyroid stimulating hormone
FT4 – Free thyroxine
FT3 – Free liothyronine
TT4 – Total thyroxine
TT3 – Total liothyronine
rT3 – reverse T3
TPOAb – Thyroperoxidase antibodies
TgAb – Antithyroglobulin antibodies

Some of these are extra's that doctors are reluctant to want to test for.

And I always recommend more iodine and magnesium as very beneficial to your body.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A high percentage of misdiagnosis does go on in the medical and psychiatric profession... But, misinformation coming from the direction of the anti-medicine crowd doesn't help, though.

Prozac

Based on documents recently obtained by FREEDOM under the Freedom of Information Act, as of September 16, 1993, 28,623 reports of adverse reactions to Prozac had been received by the FDA. These included such effects as delirium, hallucinations, convulsions, violent hostility, aggression, psychosis, 1,885 suicide attempts and 1,734 deaths - 1,089 by suicide.

Fraudulent nature of clinical trials

Other documents released under the Freedom of Information Act show the fraudulent nature of Prozac's clinical trials which led to FDA approval of the drug. According to an FDA document dated March 28, 1985, guidelines constructed by Lilly for the clinical trials excluded the reporting of "adverse experiences caused by depression."

The FDA report admitted this skewed the results, stating: "NOTE: The exhortation to exclude experiences caused by depression may have altered the relative frequencies of many adverse experiences. Each investigator would have had his own idea of what depressive experiences might comprise resulting in a lack of generalizability from one investigator to the next. Not surprisingly, many antidepressants... do produce adverse effects which are known to be symptoms of different kinds of depressions (e.g., insomnia, nausea, anxiety, tension, restlessness) leading to a possible under-representation of these effects."

The subsequent under-reporting of adverse effects during the clinical trials caused the scientific data on Prozac to be inaccurate, if not completely fraudulent. Nevertheless, the FDA's Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee relied upon this information to assert that Prozac was "safe" and "effective."

Empirical evidence, however, has made clear what the FDA committee was unable or unwilling to see: that Prozac causes suicidal ideation and senseless violence.

Other FOIA documents show still more examples of agency officials going to bat for Lilly.

In 1985, after tests of Prozac found the drug not to be significantly more effective than the placebo, an FDA statistician suggested to Lilly that the test results be evaluated differently - causing the results to come out more favorably for Prozac.

And in August 1991, shortly before the FDA hearing on Prozac, a document shows that the FDA executive Paul Leber, concerned about "the large volume of reports of all kinds on Prozac (more than 15,000)," pressured personnel in charge of the agency's adverse reaction reporting system to discount the large number of reports of adverse reactions to Prozac as "of limited value."

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I question your understanding of both pharmaceuticals and chemistry...

Yes, fluoxetine (Prozac) contains fluorine atoms, but that is a completely irrelevant thing to point out.
This is comparable to calling water a "concentrated hydrogen compound", and deducing that water must be highly flammable because it contains hydrogen atoms.

You seem to be somewhat naive.

Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield writes

The fluoride salts used are waste products from manufacturing processes and are cheap and plentiful, and I’m very sorry to say are shoveled into the water with poor regard for measured amounts. They aim for 1 to 2 or even 3 parts per million of fluoride to water but chemical testing has shown that much higher levels than this are by no means uncommon. Many people living in fluoridated catchments areas are exposed on a daily basis to levels of fluoride toxic to other body systems as well as the thyroid. I believe the increasing incidence of hypothyroidism is a major consequence of this, and the effect on the Gq/11 proteins is closely related to the increasing incidence of autism.

Research in the USA as far back as 1944 (the Manhattan Project) showed that fluoride is a powerful central nervous system toxin. In 1995 and 1998 Dr Mullenix’s research showed that fluoride accumulates progressively in the brain tissue, notably in that part of the brain called the hippocampus. Fluoride was also found to be associated with behavioral problems further evidence has shown that fluoride acts as an enzyme poison, affecting many enzymes within the body. It was found that fluoride can be ingested at any time of life to wreak its damaging effects; but of great concern was the effect found in utero on brain development. Even very small amounts were shown to have an effect on the development of intelligence.

The Gq/11 connection
The effectiveness within the cells themselves of thyroid hormone, and we’re now talking about liothyronine (T3), in raising the metabolic activity of the cell, is governed by substances which switch the process on, or switch it off. The alpha-adrenergic receptors are one such, and the enzyme phosphodiesterase is another. But of crucial importance are the G1 proteins, of which for thyroid receptors there are four, two to switch on and two to switch off. The chief and most important switcher off is the one called Gq/11.

The object of the Gq/11 especially is to inhibit or slow down the activity if T3 in stimulating cellular metabolism. If blood thyroid hormones are low, this is picked up by the hypothalamus and it respond by producing TRH, which now is passed to the pituitary to stimulate it to produce more TSH. TSH stimulates the thyroid to produce T4 & T3, but the T3 stimulates the production of Gq/11, which reduces the activity of T3 in the cell until blood levels have normalized. This is all very well and good unless there is, for some reason, an abnormal exaggerated over-activity of Gq/11. this, it turns out can happen under influence of fluoride compounds, and silica, beryllium and aluminum; the result is that the metabolic activity of the cell is wrongly reduced.

It gets worse. Some fluoride compounds actually prevent the TRH – from the hypothalamus – binding to the pituitary cells which make TSH. Consequently, the circulating TSH drops even though (due to low thyroid levels) it should be high. This of course means the TSH blood test may be quite wrong. So we have two really awful problems to worry about. One is that the Gq/11 proteins in our modern polluted environment may overwork and shut down thyroid activity – thus reducing metabolism – and the other is that if this does happen, blood tests may not show it, especially the widely used TSH test.

Unfortunately, we cannot even leave it here. We noted that these Gq/11 proteins are over-activated by the presence of fluoride, and that fluoride can also work to reduce TSH output; but fluoride has not finished its evil work yet. Fluoride can actually displace the iodine in thyroid compounds, which means those with fluoride in their makeup don’t work, although blood tests will show no sign of this, since being halogens the chemical response is the same. And if that wasn’t enough, the conversion of T4 to T3 can also be interfered with. What happens here is that the 5’-deiodinase enzymes are targeted and reverse T3 in manufactured at the expense of normal T3, which as you will recall is biologically inactive, promoting a hypothyroid state.

We must mention again the Gq/11 connection; the G proteins switch on or switch off the activity of T3 in the cell and the manufacture of TSH. The Gq/11 connection, which switches off T3 response and TSH production, is sensitive to certain tissue poisons, most particularly fluorides, which cause it to overact in shutting down metabolism. Prozac is an especially unfortunate choice, since its molecule contains fluoride – and therefore any improvement may be at the heavy price of worsening the underlying cause. We can now see more clearly how the thyroid-adrenal axis, each function affecting the other, can cause the condition of lowered metabolic activity at all levels.