• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the best sort of exercise?

Lark

I've lived a sedantry existence for too long and I think I like my food a little to much for someone in their early thirties, so I'm deciding to make a change, I'm wondering though what to do, I'm not a gym bunny and I've tried it twice with two pretty different gyms, its not my thing. In the past I've done martial arts, running and distance walking/hiking. I used to swim but dont like it much now, mainly as a result of poor body image. So suggestions?

T

ThatGirl

MMA, I had to quit because I started looking like one of the "rock people."

Other than that,at the gym I noticed that all the women with the nicest butt and thighs were on the bicycles......not sure if that helps.

P

Phantonym

Bicycle? Rollerblades? Yoga? Etc. Why not just try everything that seems interesting and affordable and go with that. Take it easy at first. And also try to work on your body image and don't discard any kind of exercise just yet. You might find that once things start to change for you you'll start to enjoy things you didn't before. Good luck and happy hunting. :)

T

ThatGirl

Bicycle? Rollerblades? Yoga? Etc. Why not just try everything that seems interesting and affordable and go with that. Take it easy at first. And also try to work on your body image and don't discard any kind of exercise just yet. You might find that once things start to change for you you'll start to enjoy things you didn't before. Good luck and happy hunting. :)

So true.....

Tell you what op. I am walking into the gym right now. I challenge you to stop whatever you are doing right now, and find some way to move for the next 30 minutes with me. Then we can come back on and talk about how great that felt.

If you have to just put on some music and dance non stop like an idiot for the next half hour.....

Okay got to go get buff!

Lark

I'm going to get dressed and hit the road, going for walk is the only real option I got, not enough room in my room to dance how I'd please. Post after.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't exercise regularly but if someone drags me to the gym I'll work out til I feel like I'm going to faint, so I should exercise more, but when I do, I do it to the extreme. I like bike riding, but I never think hey I should work out today. I'm usually like nap time. I also enjoy swimming, though I'm incapable swimming in a straight line so I'm either running into the lane divider or the wall

T

ThatGirl

Yes! Awesome workout. Some reason, just knowing someone was working out at the same time, caused me to push harder, go longer. For the next little while I am going to ride the wave of energy......and get other crap done I have been procrastinating.

Woot!

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's really a subjective preference. I prefer doing Zumba classes (latin dance fusion), because I love that it has the feeling of a party in a healthy, social atmosphere.
Some people can't stand it. One friend prefers to walk/jog outside to zone and take in the sights. That or she prefers the strictness of choreographed dance classes. Another friend enjoys Muay Thai Kickboxing, likely because it challenges her body and has the reward of moving up in armbands.

It's really dependent on who you are and what satiates you in the realm of exercise. It's never about the best, but the best for you. :yes:
So what are your interests activity-wise? Do you like to be alone with your exercise, or around others with the same interest? Etc. Find what motivates you.
Probably a huge reason in why people don't exercise enough is because it feels like work, or becomes too repetitive.

Lark

Yes! Awesome workout. Some reason, just knowing someone was working out at the same time, caused me to push harder, go longer. For the next little while I am going to ride the wave of energy......and get other crap done I have been procrastinating.

Woot!

I was procrastinating too, not a real work out but I walked as far as I could, there's a neighbouring park which I went to but didnt walk around completely because it was dark and late on a saturday and I didnt want to fight with any of the drunks who were likely to be down there. Was good braving the night, even though it was warm, and getting back home again.

Lark

It's really a subjective preference. I prefer doing Zumba classes (latin dance fusion), because I love that it has the feeling of a party in a healthy, social atmosphere.
Some people can't stand it. One friend prefers to walk/jog outside to zone and take in the sights. That or she prefers the strictness of choreographed dance classes. Another friend enjoys Muay Thai Kickboxing, likely because it challenges her body and has the reward of moving up in armbands.

It's really dependent on who you are and what satiates you in the realm of exercise. It's never about the best, but the best for you. :yes:
So what are your interests activity-wise? Do you like to be alone with your exercise, or around others with the same interest? Etc. Find what motivates you.
Probably a huge reason in why people don't exercise enough is because it feels like work, or becomes too repetitive.

These are interesting questions which I've been asking myself for a while, I read, that's pretty much what I do besides screen time and work, work can drain a lot of my extroversion and I've a few friendships but most of them are far flung or break down with people moving for work. At the time when I was fitest I used to walk, ALL THE TIME, I had a group of about a half dozen friends and we had no money, so we went out walking and talked while we walked and I found no temptation in food or drink so that helped too.

I dream about being strong enough and physically fit enough to do some wild swimming without worrying about drowning.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
weights. burns more calories than jogging, builds muscle, burns fat and the added muscle requires more calories to maintain. therefore, without changing your diet, you will loose weight simply by having muscle as it feeds off the fat indirectly.
PS: correct me if I'm wrong about any of this, I'm not an expert

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Swimming meets all the usual criteria - including that of not stressing on joints

I was a crazy about gym and cardio. I stopped working out of other commitments almost an year ago. Then I got fat. Now I'm fat.

Gonna get back in shape starting asap, which is probably May.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Swimming meets all the usual criteria - including that of not stressing on joints

I was a crazy about gym and cardio. I stopped working out of other commitments almost an year ago. Then I got fat. Now I'm fat.

Gonna get back in shape starting asap, which is probably May.

Yes! I believe swimming is commonly believed to be the best exercise overall, no impact like running...

(For me... Running is the best because it is the most effective way to elevate my mood. :D)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Yes! I believe swimming is commonly believed to be the best exercise overall, no impact like running...

(For me... Running is the best because it is the most effective way to elevate my mood. :D)

me toooo...although i swam competitively for several years, i now find its running that helps me get my high back

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I say change it up.. Work out DVDs are always what I advocate because no one can see you at home. ;) If you have a low body image. Though.. I think working on that body image is essential. It shouldn't matter what others think about how you look.. so maybe making yourself go swim would be good for you. But I like to combine going out to gym, working out at home, and going outside for something. I think you can't lose with those three things.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like pilates, walking, biking and martial arts as exercise

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I've lived a sedantry existence for too long and I think I like my food a little to much for someone in their early thirties, so I'm deciding to make a change, I'm wondering though what to do, I'm not a gym bunny and I've tried it twice with two pretty different gyms, its not my thing. In the past I've done martial arts, running and distance walking/hiking. I used to swim but dont like it much now, mainly as a result of poor body image. So suggestions?

well the fact that you're sedentary, plus you're so picky.
the best exercise is anything that gets you moving.

i recommend you to checkout leslie sansone's walk at home
http://www.walkathome.com/ (you'll either have to buy or find downloads. )

1. you dont need any props
2. you have a computer to watch it on
3. you can do it in the privacy of your own home.

just start moving, if you can only do ten minutes, do ten minutes.
better than doing nothing. and next day build it to 15 minutes.

it's not so much finding the best exercise as to wanting to change
the sedentary lifestyle and incorporating consistent active activities
into it.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
p90x!!!!! I have the movie files on my computer, I'm sure I could find a way to get them to you!