• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the best sort of exercise?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've lived a sedantry existence for too long and I think I like my food a little to much for someone in their early thirties, so I'm deciding to make a change, I'm wondering though what to do, I'm not a gym bunny and I've tried it twice with two pretty different gyms, its not my thing. In the past I've done martial arts, running and distance walking/hiking. I used to swim but dont like it much now, mainly as a result of poor body image. So suggestions?

sex

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Buy a bike. Ride it for 1/2 hour, turn around, go home. I lost 50 lbs with that simple method.

T

ThatGirl

I have been using the bikes at the gym and despite coming close to 170 now, it seems to be the quickest most effective way to tone and shape. I am not getting skinnier, but the guy I was hanging out with last night did say I seemed to only be gaining in all the right places. :blush:

Seriously, of everything I have tried so far, bicycling is great.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Crossfit!

You can adapt it to your fitness level and the equipment that you possess (or can get cheaply or easily). I love lifting weights and did it for years but crossfit will get you in much better overall shape and give you better functional strength. I've seen a number of guys that look absolutely normal or even a little pudgy that are physical beasts because of crossfit.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
IMO, exercising and getting your butt in shape is not about enjoyment. If you can find physical activities that you enjoy, then that's great but I see it as icing on the cake. I've gotten myself back out and running again and I hate running. I go to the gym and work out when I don't really want to. Fact is, it's going to hurt if you've lived a sedentary lifestyle and want to drastically improve your fitness level/physique.

DISCIPLINE :solidarity:

Good luck.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
IMO, exercising and getting your butt in shape is not about enjoyment. If you can find physical activities that you enjoy, then that's great but I see it as icing on the cake. I've gotten myself back out and running again and I hate running. I go to the gym and work out when I don't really want to. Fact is, it's going to hurt if you've lived a sedentary lifestyle and want to drastically improve your fitness level/physique.

DISCIPLINE :solidarity:

Good luck.

I just lied to myself and told me I liked it. It worked great, and now I don't have to kid myself anymore. Dishonesty can sometimes be the best policy.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Running. I run every morning for approximately 40-60 minutes. It improves your mood, gives you energy, trims fat, gives you a healthy glow.. (I know you're a guy so that might not be way up there on your list :D) It's such a great natural high. It makes me feel fierce.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The best excercise (in my opinion) is anything fun enough to keep you coming back.

For me that's been MMA.

ronymark

According to me Swimming is best exercise. Swimming is also an effective form of fat-burning exercise. Swimming does exercise almost the entire body, heart, lungs, and muscles with very little joint strain.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nothing stuck for me until I started skating. Now I could probably break all y'all. :D

Seriously though, it's going to be specific to you, what you find fulfilling and fun. But Quinlan's suggestion is awesome- metabolic resistance training is the shiz. I use it for cross training because if I skate every day my ankles act up. I would never have stuck with it, though, if I didn't have the goal of being a better skater and derby player to motivate me.

If you like swimming, but stopped because of body image issues, could you get a swim shirt? Or just psych yourself up and stop caring what people think of your body in a pair of swim trunks. Our bodies are amazing- even if we carry extra weight or have a weird-looking navel. It's an incredible machine and IMO it's always beautiful when it's being used and honored and taken care of with exercise. I'm sure there are people who see me in the gym and think "ew, fatty!" but fuck'em. I'm working on it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lock the thread- there's a bug that does it automagically sometimes when a mod or admin posts in a thread.