• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you think you're fat or skinny?

wolfy

awsm
No doubt bf is a more indicative measurement. The last time I had it done over a year ago, it was hovering around 21%. I'm now a couple pounds less, so it might be around 20%, uncertain and don't care enough to have it verified since I feel good at this size. Toned but not ripped or cut. Happy.

20, 21, no need to get it measured. Glad you're happy, nice to feel good in your skin.

wolfy

awsm
Thanks. How long have you been at 12%?

A long time now, but when I was doing powerlifting I was a lot fatter. Dropped heaps of weight when I came back to Japan, partly the diet, partly that I started giving studio lessons and more cardio work and partly that I adjusted my diet. Over my adult life I have ranged from 65kg to 90kg, I pushed my weight to 90, didn't like 90 much, 82.5 was good for lifting but 75kg is a good balance.

rav3n

A long time now, but when I was doing powerlifting I was a lot fatter. Dropped heaps of weight when I came back to Japan, partly the diet, partly that I started giving studio lessons and more cardio work and partly that I adjusted my diet. Over my adult life I have ranged from 65kg to 90kg, I pushed my weight to 90, didn't like 90 much, 82.5 was good for lifting but 75kg is a good balance.
Curious if it's time for you to post a pic, just to show the difference...of course. :alttongue:

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I'm fat and I don't think I'm skinny.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
About 5'9 and 128 to 130 pounds. I feel that I am far too skinny. I think my ectomorphic skeleton makes me look a little skinnier than I am, but then there's also the fact that much of my weigh is probably dense muscle, too. I must have very little body fat, but I don't know how to find out.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Average in the "I should lose a few pounds" sort of way. I'm about 6'-6'1, 185.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, I am 203 pounds 6' and my goal is to get to 185. I will be there by the end of November at the latest.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well, I am 203 pounds 6' and my goal is to get to 185. I will be there by the end of November at the latest.

Well I am about 6'1.5" 225 and my goal is to first get to 200. And then maybe down to around 190.

Don't know how long that will take.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I am about 6'1.5" 225 and my goal is to first get to 200. And then maybe down to around 190.

Don't know how long that will take.

Try MyFitnessPal. Your Te will like it. It takes about 3 minutes a day to do. I use the ipad app.

I was up to 230 at one point (i.e. profile picture which actually an old picture).

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

:yes:

I've been trying (or rather, intending, as I've not actually made a focused effort to do more than exercise consistently) to lose weight (5-10 lbs) for years now, and I can never manage to lose any. Having said that, I'm still within an okay range. I tend to base my self-expectations on comparing myself to the guys at the gym -- which is likely unrealistic, given my age and occupation.

Good job on making progress making your goal! How're you going about it?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've been trying (or rather, intending, as I've not actually made a focused effort to do more than exercise consistently) to lose weight (5-10 lbs) for years now, and I can never manage to lose any. Having said that, I'm still within an okay range. I tend to base my self-expectations on comparing myself to the guys at the gym -- which is likely unrealistic, given my age and occupation.

Good job on making progress making your goal! How're you going about it?

I'm counting calories. I always thought this would be tedious and difficult but is actually very easy with this ipad app I'm using. I discovered for example that I pig out on saturdays. One day, i had 2200 calories of pizza in one sitting. You become much more aware of what you are eating, how much fat is in there, etc.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm counting calories. I always thought this would be tedious and difficult but is actually very easy with this ipad app I'm using. I discovered for example that I pig out on saturdays. One day, i had 2200 calories of pizza in one sitting. You become much more aware of what you are eating, how much fat is in there, etc.

Calorie-counting is the part of the weight-loss regime that I've never actually gone forward with, and it's likely the (or at least, "a") reason why I've never really lost weight. I suspect that I'm one of those people who simply unconsciously compensates for exercising (which I am actually very good about doing consistently) by eating more. Munching while hanging out at home on the computer is probably a relatively major culprit, as is that pair of granola bars and serving of peanut M&M's I seem to not be able to get through the workday without.

How to do you do this for restaurants, etc.? Only eat at places with good nutritional information posted, and use those statistics for your ipad app? I tend to eat out a lot... not necessarily awful stuff, usually vegetable stir-fry, grilled chicken, etc. but there are occasionally accessories in there too (fries, desert).

And I hear you about the 2200 calories of pizza in one sitting. I'm sure I've done that too -- my solution to that one has been "don't eat pizza by yourself", but I've been there.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How to do you do this for restaurants, etc.? Only eat at places with good nutritional information posted, and use those statistics for your ipad app? I tend to eat out a lot... not necessarily awful stuff, usually vegetable stir-fry, grilled chicken, etc. but there are occasionally accessories in there too (fries, desert).

This app is really easy. You just type in what you ate and it gives you several choices to pick from. If you don't get too caught up on perfection of choices, it's really simple. I've lost 8 - 10 pounds in the last 5 weeks using the thing.

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm 5'11" and 135lbs. I have a slender frame (wrist barely 6 inches). I work out regularly, but having a runner build [with hint of swimmer build;) ] I will never get big muscles. They are defined, though. Although my body fat is low enough for a distict 6-pack abs, and for my pec muscles to show the ripple when I flex them, I am certainly not ripped to bodybuilder standards - when I pull on a pair of underpants with firmly gripping elastic in the waistband, there is a definite (albeit small) ridge of fat around the waist.

Two years ago I weighed 145lbs. I lost 10lbs over a year when I stopped my previous practice of alternating 2 weeks heavy eating (weight training) with two weeks light eating (cardio). I've been idly curious this year as to why my weight levelled out a year after the change. Over the last couple of months I deliberately restricted my calorie intake by about 1500 calories a week and dropped to 132-3 lbs but my body rebelled - extreme tiredness after midday meal, carb cravings before bedtime, so I abandoned that experiment. Basically then, my weight is self-regulating around 135lbs - if it rises a few pounds I feel less hungry at breakfast, and I've seen what happens if it starts dropping too low!

Motivation for weight control? I read years ago that men who are no heavier than they were in their late teens have only one-seventh the incidence of heart disease than men who are heavier. I can't remember where I read it, have never seen it since, and frankly I doubt whether it's true. But anyway, I feel no inclination to aspire to be any heavier than my body self-regulates to on a diet (which I'm happy with) of rather bland, plain, mainly unrefined food.