• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you think you're fat or skinny?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a fat arse. Mostly I don't give a crap, because generally I'm fit and heathly, but, I've really stacked it on with this job, so I feel like a tub of lard. I'm the biggest I ever been, and it's not pleasant. Mind you I have lost weight lately. Shift work is not good for one's body image.
I prefer to be bigger, because I 'm more proportioned, just not this big. My mother used to tell me I was fat, when I was younger, until the day when of her friends told me, I was in fact underweight, after she heard my mother tell me my butt was too fat in church. I was very curvy but I also have a big rack, which when skinny makes me look fat anyway. Lucky, when I pad out a bit, I don't put weight on in the chest area, so it evens things out, and I don't feel like Boobrella. Plus the rebellous soul I'm, the bigger I am, the more angry my mother gets (which I know points to some serious psychological issues, I do know this, but she doesn't get upset because she cares, she's an narcissist) but right now, I've gone too far.

I once read an article on how ass fat is keeping women healthy. In fact, women with proportionately large bums have a smaller chance to get a heart attack than women whose butts are smaller in proportion to their bodies. I know the older generation is still from the time when the flat behind was still a top fashion item and they won't believe this, but it's the truth. Science says so. Plus, I also heard that these days more and more people get plastic surgery to have a larger seat cushio. Just keep that in mind, okay?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I once read an article on how ass fat is keeping women healthy. In fact, women with proportionately large bums have a smaller chance to get a heart attack than women whose butts are smaller in proportion to their bodies. I know the older generation is still from the time when the flat behind was still a top fashion item and they won't believe this, but it's the truth. Science says so. Plus, I also heard that these days more and more people get plastic surgery to have a larger seat cushio. Just keep that in mind, okay?

Yes!!!!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
weight on others don't bother me unless I hate them, but than it's like well you're sucky a person.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
weight on others don't bother me unless I hate them, but than it's like well you're sucky a person.

hahahahahahaha. "You are mean and rude and obnoxious and loud. AND FAT AND SMELLY TOO!!!"

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Are you sure it's not just that a larger ass in proportion to the body implies a smaller waist (i.e. if 2 people have the same fat percentage, the one with a larger ass must have less fat elsewhere like the waist)? Abdominal fat is known to be much worse for you than fat in other areas.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Are you sure it's not just that a larger ass in proportion to the body implies a smaller waist (i.e. if 2 people have the same fat percentage, the one with a larger ass must have less fat elsewhere like the waist)? Abdominal fat is known to be much worse for you than fat in other areas.

Yeah, that's how I would read that type of study, too.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, that's how I would read that type of study, too.

No, that's not what it means at all. You guys misinterpreted the study. You don't know what it means to have a big butt. The trunk fat studies are a whole bunch of boloney. Those people die young because they weren't blessed with bigger butts.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8

Nope, it really said that women with butts above a certain size had a lower risk of getting a heart attack than those who were under that. I'll have to look it up, I still have the magazine.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope, it really said that women with butts above a certain size had a lower risk of getting a heart attack than those who were under that. I'll have to look it up, I still have the magazine.

Well, I know that people with bigger muscular thighs have a lower chance of heart disease as well. (Better circulation.) I wonder if the same is true for people with big muscular glutes. (Just pondering). Did the study have any hypotheses about why it would be that way?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

You mentioned a proportionately large butt in your own post. You said this:

In fact, women with proportionately large bums have a smaller chance to get a heart attack than women whose butts are smaller in proportion to their bodies.

That's exactly what Randomnity and FDG are saying, no?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Found the article! It's from a Dutch magazine named Quest. The article is from August 2005. I'll give you a translation:

Wide hips, longer life

Singers Jennifer Lopez and Beyoncé already knew it: women with a fuller behind look very good too. Skinny models and actrices have had it, because now it's time for curvy women to be on top. That's a good thing, because researchers from Denmark proved that women with a hourglass figure live longer than slim people. At the Institute of Preventative Medicine in Copenhagen they took the sizes of 3000 men and women. The number of early deaths turned out to be 87% lower with women with wide hips, compared to those with slim ones. The chance of getting a heart attack was 86% lower and the chance of getting a cardiovascular disease decreased with 46%. That is probably because the fat around the hips containc adiponectin. This hormone makes sure that veins don't swell up and get blocked. Women with a hip circumfence of less than 90 centimeters miss the protection this fat offers. However, this correlation wasn't found with men. Men should be aware of the fact that abdominal fat doesn't help. It's a totally different kind of fat and it's even very bad for your health.

Damn, I'm never gonna translate anything again. Especially when I'm translating expressions I never use.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a very strange shape that makes it almost impossible to buy clothes that fit. 100-75-95 and a big chest. Dresses are impossible. Found two dresses that actually don't make me look crazy, and I bought them even though they were expensive. Basically, I've made big, long-term changes in lifestyle to sort of re-make my body, hoping I'll slim down to 90-60-90 but I don't know if that's happening.

Yeah, we're talking cm not inches. :p

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I think I would certainly benefit both physically and mentally from losing let's say 10-15 pounds.

Omission1234

well right now, I'm not in awesome peak shape, but im not fat... just a little lazy from winter.. muscle is alittle flabby haha..

Aswell I just ate a bowl of ice cream sooooo in the moment= I'm a fattie...

I started running, eating 50% veggies again about 2 weeks ago soo its all good :D

SRT

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
both for me, lol. I feel fat (big) some days, and then skinny (small) others.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have about 3 more kgs to lose before I start trying to maintain that, don't want to go below 80kgs I remember what it was like when I used to weigh that much, too skinny! I will still be a fattie (BMI 25.5) at that weight though.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Damn, I'm never gonna translate anything again. Especially when I'm translating expressions I never use.

You could always link to the primary sources instead. Journalists almost always misunderstand scientific studies or deliberately take them out of context...

This is the study in question:
http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v12/n3/full/oby200454a.html

Heitmann et al. said:
A number of studies have shown that waist circumference may be more predictive of health risks and a more practical correlate of abdominal fat distribution than waist-to-hip ratio (2,12), and, consequently, it has been proposed that hip measurement should be discarded from prediction analyses, with a concentration on only waist circumference. This study suggests that this decision may have been premature, In this context, it should be noted that, in this study, the waist-to-hip ratio was not generally less predictive of health risks than waist circumference. Indeed, within each gender and for each of the endpoints, the attributable risk associated with the waist-to-hip ratio and the waist circumference was generally either essentially similar or greater for the waist-to-hip ratio than for waist circumference.

But there are also other related longitudinal Danish studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15676176
http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/173/1/79
http://www.ersj.org.uk/content/20/3/539.short
http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/8/620.abstract
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/121/17/1896
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/119/1/44
http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2008/02/12/eurheartj.ehn010

Summary - Both very low and very high BMIs are associated with higher risk for heart diseases or heart failure. Abdominal fat in particular is associated with increased risk. However other studies on the Copenhagen cohorts have noted relationships between other factors such as alcohol drinking and abdominal fat, so this could in principle still be explained by lifestyle factors.

The Copenhagen data in general has been used to produce a lot of studies, from biochemical risk factors, to the effects of alcohol, smoking and risks of other diseases..

There are also other European studies examining hip to waist ratios and health risks.

http://www.bmj.com/content/311/7017/1401.abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15052280 (Heitmann was a co-author)
http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n10/full/oby200185a.html (Heitmann was a co-author)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17956544

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What sucks is if you don't have the "protective" hip fat...but they still look fat due to wide-set hipbones. Last week, an acquaintance, an Asian male, commented that I should go on a diet because I have "fat hips".

My BMI is 16. :ninja:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What sucks is if you don't have the "protective" hip fat...but they still look fat due to wide-set hipbones. Last week, an acquaintance, an Asian male, commented that I should go on a diet because I have "fat hips".

My BMI is 16. :ninja:

Punch him in the face for being a dick, no one should tell any one they should diet, that's just rude. Even if you think hey that person could afford to lose a few lbs never ever ever ever mention it to them. That's just bad manners.