• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Women's MMA?

WildCard

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Maybe it's just not offered for women (at least here in the deep south) but I've been having a hard time to find a gym that will seriously let me train for MMA competition. So far the only training I have been getting (on top of previous military training) has been from my boyfriend who regularly competes. In the past, I have loved wrestling and the like from the adrenaline rush I get, along with the exercise.

Can anyone offer advice?

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Where in the South are you? Several female professional mixed martial artists train in Florida. Your bf's gym won't let you train there?

How serious are you? Is this a way to stay fit, or a career path, or what? If you really want to be a serious fighter, go to local events, even amateur fight nights, and talk to the promoters, cornermen, whoever. If you show enthusiasm, you'll find someone who's happy to train you. I believe you have a military background, too? That should get you some extra points.

An alternative is to train disciplines individually: take kickboxing classes, and/or jiu-jitsu, judo, whatever, find a wrestling coach, or train at your old school, etc.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Maybe it's just not offered for women (at least here in the deep south) but I've been having a hard time to find a gym that will seriously let me train for MMA competition. So far the only training I have been getting (on top of previous military training) has been from my boyfriend who regularly competes. In the past, I have loved wrestling and the like from the adrenaline rush I get, along with the exercise.

Can anyone offer advice?

Any jiu-jitsu class or kickboxing you go to should be both for men and women at least where I'm from women are always welcome even though there are always a lack of them.. I live in canada btw.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
MMA training is amazing, at my gym my sensei was extremely reserved and only let me train like half the time because i was a woman, but after a while he saw that i was committed and started paying more attention to me and training me like he would a man.

sme14

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I live in the panhandle, and I am looking into signup for training at a local MMA gym. I think some thing should be available close by?