• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How soon is too soon to be eating "heart healthy"?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Haha...ok...that title's a bit of a misnomer. I know there isn't a "too soon" for that kind of thing. I mostly just want to know if there are other young'uns out there who take their diet to heart (har har).

I'm 21 and I try to watch my intake of saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol. Read labels, turn down high-fat, highly salty foods. All that good stuff. But I tell me friends about this (who are years older than I am) and they think I'm crazy.

I dunno. I guess I'm a real proponent of the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't want to have to take high BP meds in my 40s for the rest of my life.

Amiright? *fist bumps all around*

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You're doing the right thing. Never too soon to watch your diet.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Its never really too soon.. Just don't become one of those fanatics that go crazy with health-food shit. If you're prone to high BP genetically (diet is not the only thing that causes it.. its not even the biggest factor in it..), or any other disease, don't be heart broken and think you didn't 'do enough' to prevent it.

But a good diet and exercise can decrease your risks, especially if you ARE prone to it, and that is the key my friend. Enjoy eating healthy, and do your best so you don't feel guilt when you have to deal with the rest.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
you shouldnt do that before you hit 50

Ingrid in grids

It's not too soon because there are immediate benefits too, and those benefits alone are a good enough reason to maintain those good habits. And yes I am a young'un who takes their health and diet "to heart". :)

Elemental Chaos

MBTI Type
eNXP
Enneagram
7+4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Taking care of yourself strikes me as very Fe. ^^ Of course it's always a good thing to do.

Last edited:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I am also a pretty health-conscious young'un.

As long as you really have an understanding of what your body needs, and you're not just listening to hooplah about what is bad for you this week, you should be good. For instance, the low-sodium diet that my grandpa follows would be bad for me. I actually need to add sodium to my diet to make sure I retain enough water, especially on hot days or when I work out. As long as you tailor health advice to yourself, you will be contributing to better health later in life (though, as others mentioned, you might still be doomed. sometimes there's nothing ya can do).

Elemental Chaos

MBTI Type
eNXP
Enneagram
7+4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As long as you really have an understanding of what your body needs, and you're not just listening to hooplah about what is bad for you this week, you should be good. For instance, the low-sodium diet that my grandpa follows would be bad for me. I actually need to add sodium to my diet to make sure I retain enough water, especially on hot days or when I work out. As long as you tailor health advice to yourself, you will be contributing to better health later in life (though, as others mentioned, you might still be doomed. sometimes there's nothing ya can do).

True, you should always understand why you are following a specific health tip.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Its never really too soon.. Just don't become one of those fanatics that go crazy with health-food shit. If you're prone to high BP genetically (diet is not the only thing that causes it.. its not even the biggest factor in it..), or any other disease, don't be heart broken and think you didn't 'do enough' to prevent it.

But a good diet and exercise can decrease your risks, especially if you ARE prone to it, and that is the key my friend. Enjoy eating healthy, and do your best so you don't feel guilt when you have to deal with the rest.

Completely agree with what you say. Heart disease doesn't run in my family but I do generally eat heart healthy and have since my teens. I just feel better in general when I eat healthy. You are right in that you could do all the right things eating wise and still get heart disease. Some people eat all the wrong things and still live to be 90. Yet, eating heart healthy will definitely decrease you risk. I don't think being fanatic is good either. Your body needs some fat and sodium in moderation. Also if you ate perfectly healthy all the time that would be pretty dull. An occasional indulgence isn't going to hurt you.

Taking care of yourself strikes me as very Fe. ^^ Of course it's always a good thing to do.

Why is it Fe? Its focused on yourself, not on others.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's never too soon. It's a good idea even for children to eat their vegetables and to eat oatmeal, and not be fed McDonald's and ice cream every day.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty silly to deny yourself the pleasure of eating foods you enjoy ALL OF THE TIME unless you've already got health problems.

I think the key is to incorporate healthier, lower fat foods into your diet (olive oil, red wine, bran flakes, green tea, fruits, veggies, fish, poach or boil your eggs instead of frying them, etc.) but to still enjoy your life, especially if you're quite young.

I've always thought the most sensible way to eat was to normally eat fairly healthy but indulge yourself, too...just not every single day all day long.

The problem with the American diet is people eating fatty, fried, sugary shit all day long nearly every day. That's not good for anybody, I don't care how old they are.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i started around 27. not too strict.
i'll go on a health binge one or twice
a year. usually it goes hand in hand
with putting water up my ass and
cleaning out my colon.

makes me feel light.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Oh, this too. I drink so many fluids and take a certain medication that if I followed a low-sodium diet it would make me very sick, could even kill me.

Also, your brain needs fat to function properly. Low-fat can be taken too far...you need a certain amount of fat to be healthy, especially "good fats."

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

:huh: Explanation?

i started around 27. not too strict.
i'll go on a health binge one or twice
a year. usually it goes hand in hand
with putting water up my ass and
cleaning out my colon.

makes me feel light.

:laugh:

Yeah, I know everyone's saying "don't be fanatic" and stuff, but I'm just confused as to what "fanatic" is supposed to mean. I turn down bacon mac'n'cheese and all of a sudden I'm a "fanatic" to all my friends. I eat salads with lean protein and fruit every day for lunch and I'm "fanatic" to everyone at work. Doesn't feel fanatic.

Who's to say I'm not enjoying life just as much eating the way I am? Why does "healthy diet" equal "pain, starvation, denial of pleasure?" Of course your body needs fat and sodium, but getting it from high saturated fatty foods and highly processed salty foods is not the way to go about it. I guess I just see them (and things like bacon mac'n'cheese or meat lover's pizza) as unnecessary to my diet.

Not that I'm judgmental towards other people for their diets. Cause I'm not. I just don't understand why peeps gotta hate on mine. :laugh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, like if you actually *don't like* bacon mac 'n cheese, then that's not being a fanatic.

But if you love fresh bread with real butter and sweet rolls or tacos and pizza and YOU NEVER EVER allow yourself to eat those things (I would suggest giving yourself one day a week, even if you're hyper-vigilant) ...then, yeah, you're being a fanatic.