• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How soon is too soon to be eating "heart healthy"?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
The pendulum of professional opinion about eggs has swung back and forth multiple times in my lifetime. Personally I think eggs are good food.

You know what captive wild omnivores and carnivores do when you give them an egg? They eat the shit out of that thing, and so should you.

Wild animals do a lot of things that I would disagree with. But you're right about eggs. They are pretty good.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Links! That's better. You'll pardon me for being unconvinced by the story about grandpa.

I've only skimmed your links so far (I'll read them fully), but it appears an apology is in order. What you wrote wasn't made up. I'd just point out that the preparation probably matters, and if you're not counting diabetes as "any kind of heart disease", that needs to be mentioned as well. Something to consider in the meantime:

Men who eat 7 Eggs per week (1/day) experience 23% increase in mortality (from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, via WebMD)

There's all sorts of contrary evidence about how healthy or unhealthy eggs are. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone concerned about heart health. There's nothing in eggs that you can't get from something else with less cholesterol and saturated fat.

Marmie Dearest said:
Fucking arrogant NTs.
And fucking oversensitive NFs! And fucking greedy Jews! And fucking terrorist A-rabs!

Chill, I don't represent all NTs, and I don't think you know what "arrogant" means.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Links! That's better. You'll pardon me for being unconvinced by the story about grandpa.

I've only skimmed your links so far (I'll read them fully), but it appears an apology is in order. I'd just point out that the preparation probably matters, and if you're not counting diabetes as "any kind of heart disease", that needs to be mentioned as well. Something to consider in the meantime:

Men who eat 7 Eggs per week (1/day) experience 23% increase in mortality (from The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, via WebMD)

There's all sorts of contrary evidence about how healthy or unhealthy eggs are. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone concerned about heart health. There's nothing in eggs that you can't get from something else with less cholesterol and saturated fat.

And fucking oversensitive NFs! And fucking greedy Jews! And fucking terrorist A-rabs!

Chill, I don't represent all NTs, and I don't think you know what "arrogant" means.

You told me that I made something up because you didn't agree with it.

Go. the. fuck. away.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
You told me that I made something up because you didn't agree with it.
No, I told you that because you initially cited only anecdotal evidence to support it. I'm a big fan of real evidence. When you presented it later, I admitted I was wrong.

Chill.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Look - you said I was lying because you didn't know about it, then said I didn't know what arrogant means.

You are closed-minded and condescending and I am putting you on ignore now.

Maybe you should look things up before you tell people they're "making things up."

O

Oberon

No, I told you that because you initially cited only anecdotal evidence to support it. I'm a big fan of real evidence. When you presented it later, I admitted I was wrong.

Chill.

BM, that's not the way to convince someone you're not arrogant.

Marm, take it easy... the rest of us don't want to see you get permabanned, okay?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Makes you wonder how those Inuit live so long, doesn't it?

In modern (western) diets fat and sugar tend to go hand in hand but when you control for sugar like in the traditional Inuit diet (basically a big heap of "artery clogging" fat) most heath problems go away, that is untill they start adopting the modern habit of eating sugar and flour, then they are very unhealthy like Beargryllz pointed out.

Besides, all this anger is not heart-healthy

LOL

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hahaha... I don't know. Reading through I could feel the adrenaline, my bpm was up. That has to have heart benefits.

It's true!

“Worry affects the circulation, the heart, the glands, the whole nervous system, and profoundly affects heart action.”
- Dr. Charles H. Mayo, founder of the Mayo Clinic

:newwink:

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao

Haha...I had the exact same thought.

In modern (western) diets fat and sugar tend to go hand in hand but when you control for sugar like in the traditional Inuit diet (basically a big heap of "artery clogging" fat) most heath problems go away, that is untill they start adopting the modern habit of eating sugar and flour, then they are very unhealthy like Beargryllz pointed out.

Interesting. That video is interesting as well. Hmmm...

Do you know much more about this?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Never too soon, but I wouldn't worry too much about everything you eat. Might be a good idea to watch what you are more likely to be at risk for due to things like family history. For really unhealthy food that contains trans fat... those type of things.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some studies have reached this conclusion, and a roughly equal number of others have reached the opposite conclusion. Alcohol is generally a huge risk factor for heart disease (as well as innumerable other health issues), and this shouldn't be stated as fact.

Noooooo. Eggs are high not just in fat but in saturated fat, and in cholesterol, and there's the risk of salmonella, yadda yadda yadda.

The avocado suggestion earlier was probably a better idea. I would suggest that "good" sources of fat, to the extent they exist, are things like avocados and olives, nuts and seeds, omega-3 oils (flaxseed, hemp, canola/rapeseed, etc)... It's extremely rare that anyone should go out of their way to get fat in the diet -- eat normally and you'll get plenty -- but if you're really analyzing everything you eat or making a conscious effort to limit fats, those are foods you can do it with. How do we end up suggesting EGGS of all things in a heart-healthy thread?

Haha, I guess you are right. When I made the post, I was thinking more along the lines of "This 21 y/o OP can certainly eat eggs as a source of vitamins and proteins for an active lifestyle" (without taking into consideration the amount of cholesterol in eggs at all or the fact that she said heart healthy- not, "helpful towards an active lifestyle.") I always personally cater my diet towards packing energy for exercise. And also, when I think of one glass of red wine per day I always think, "raises your HDL! Antioxidants!" When there are clearly other ways to do so.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Haha, I guess you are right. When I made the post, I was thinking more along the lines of "This 21 y/o OP can certainly eat eggs as a source of vitamins and proteins for an active lifestyle"

Heh...I actually do have health reasons to watch my heart and I'm actually really interested in anything anyone has to say about diet as it relates to preventing heart disease.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that first? Yeah...perhaps...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh...I actually do have health reasons to watch my heart and I'm actually really interested in anything anyone has to say about diet as it relates to preventing heart disease.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that first? Yeah...perhaps...

Yea, for sure. Exercise as doctor prescribes it to you, and for God's sake, don't eat eggs or drink wine without running it by a doc first. :D

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Yea, for sure. Exercise as doctor prescribes it to you, and for God's sake, don't eat eggs or drink wine without running it by a doc first. :D

I'm just confused as to why that should make a difference, though. Yeah, I have a chronic inflammatory disease that doubles my chance of heart attack, but shouldn't the diet someone follows under such conditions extend to others as well? What's good for me certainly would be good for Average Joe. Whatever advice someone would give me now shouldn't be any different than what they gave me before.

At least that's how I see it. I don't know...I'm no nutritionist.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm just confused as to why that should make a difference, though. Yeah, I have a chronic inflammatory disease that doubles my chance of heart attack, but shouldn't the diet someone follows under such conditions extend to others as well? What's good for me certainly would be good for Average Joe. Whatever advice someone would give me now shouldn't be any different than what they gave me before.

At least that's how I see it. I don't know...I'm no nutritionist.

I'm not a nutritionist either. I just think that someone with no heart disease or risk for heart attack can be a little looser with the diet and even define "healthy" a little different. For me, there's no history of heart disease amongst the women of my family, I have low blood pressure, low resting heart rate, good cholesterol, and a beautiful looking EKG. My activity level is the centerpiece of my health, and diet follows, (even surrounds the activity.)

Someone with any kind of heart disease or increased risk of heart attack has a slightly different story. Some people have higher cholesterol or high blood pressure, or anything like that is different, because their bodies may react differently to nutrients. (And even exercise.) So, best thing to do is have a doctor that knows your specific medical history and the physiology of your specific disease is suited to be able to tell you how your diet can affect your system. Does that make sense?

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
But I tell me friends about this (who are years older than I am) and they think I'm crazy.
I dunno. I guess I'm a real proponent of the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." I don't want to have to take high BP meds in my 40s for the rest of my life.
Amiright? *fist bumps all around*

they think YOU'RE crazy? lol... they are the crazy ones for not caring at all... I eat mostly raw vegan foods, although for me its not so much for health as I just really love it, I tend to feel much better on it... and my friends act like im crazy, except one who is an actual trained nutritionist and he just asked what I was eating and was like" well, you seem to have a much more balanced diet than the average person, you are getting everything you need and then some, just keep a watch on your B12 and selenium and you should be fine." *fist bump* im 26 btw