• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes sense for breakfast?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've never liked breakfast foods much (i.e. toast with eggs and bacon. I hate bacon). I've never understood why these are what people like to have for breakfast. I prefer to cook pasta or perhaps a quasadilla for breakfast, or have a sandwich with fruit.

Why is it that toast with eggs became the standard?
What actually nutritionally makes the most sense in the morning?

I would assume complex carbs are good in the morning, but perhaps there is much more to it than that.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
don't ask me... I've been known to consider a bacon cheeseburger with fries to be a proper breakfast before :cheese:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
proper breakfast: anything that feels you up

improper breakfast: solely coffee,cigarettes and/or pills

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like toast, unless I splurge on nice bread that makes good toast, like rye bread. What I have:

often - steel cut oatmeal with sugar and dried fruit/berries of some kind
often - plain yogurt with bananas/berries, sometimes granola (I like harvest crunch), sometimes some honey
sometimes - eggs alone, fried
every so often - sugary cereal and milk, lol
every so often - eggs in an english muffin, with cheese and ham if I have any, even a bit of leafy greens on top is good
rarely and only on weekends - pancakes, or bacon/eggs/fried potatoes

I think what makes sense is high protein, some fat, some simple carbs, some complex carbs with fiber. I don't really have a reason, that just seems like a good way to start things. Combines long-lasting energy with a boost right away.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Hmmm, Random, this idea of an instant boost makes a lot of sense. This is obviously why people drink coffee, too. I don't drink coffee either, which is why this whole boost concept is foreign!

I like to make pasta at night with some cheese and veggies in it, put it in the fridge and heat it up in the morning for a very quick but delicious, filling meal. Sometimes it can be better than fresh because the flavours have all sort of marinated together. Some hot sauce can help wake me up, too. This used to be a good breakfast in high school. It made me feel better in the morning because it was good and I made it myself so I already had something to be happy about that day. I havn't been doing this as much lately, but my classes are later, too.

Is anyone aware of any studies suggesting your body digests certain foods better in the morning or specific nutrients are required by your body to get going?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah that's how I started thinking of it, I heard that an apple will wake you up as well as a coffee because of the sugar (I think it's a lie lol, but anyway). So I like to have fruit/berries in the morning.

But really as long as you're eating breakfast and it's halfway nutritious, you're doing pretty well! I'd only bother fiddling with it if you're unhappy with something about it. Like if you're starving around 10am, which happens to me if I eat the wrong things or not enough. I've heard that it's best to eat a large breakfast if your stomach is up to it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i'm bad about eating breakfast, but lately when I eat breakfast I just feel sick after. If I wait til after class (I have class mon-thurs 12:30-1:50) I find I don't. All in my head? probably. I should eat breakfast

gromit

likes this
OATMEAL. I cannot say enough good stuff about oatmeal. It makes me feel amazing. Amazing. :heart:

I can't really stand the texture of the instant stuff and I don't usually have time for the real kind, so I mix up a big tupperware of plain quick oats, some cinnamon and brown sugar, craisins or other dried fruit, and some chopped nuts. The add-ins help with the texture and the taste definitely.

rav3n

You might want to try blueberry buckwheat pancakes. They're delicious and are nutritious to some degree although they're fairly high in carbs. They take next to no time to make if you use a food processor.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Quinoa is a high quality breakfast food because it has great nutritional content and is slow burning. I like it because it tastes good made savory or sweet.

I've heard it said that its a good idea to eat fruit first in the morning, before eating anything else, but I can't recall the logic behind it. :shrug: Another breakfast option for me is to make smoothies from frozen fruit (thawed out the night before) with a little juice and soymilk.

Many cultures do soup for breakfast. Miso soup, for example, is supposed to be very good for starting the day. I enjoy miso soup for breakfast occasionally, but I buy the mix, I don't make it myself.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What makes sense? Food.

What doesn't made sense? No food.

Too bad I have trouble trying to stuff a large portion into my stomach let alone even a decent sized portion for breakfast.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OATMEAL. I cannot say enough good stuff about oatmeal. It makes me feel amazing. Amazing. :heart:

I can't really stand the texture of the instant stuff and I don't usually have time for the real kind, so I mix up a big tupperware of plain quick oats, some cinnamon and brown sugar, craisins or other dried fruit, and some chopped nuts. The add-ins help with the texture and the taste definitely.
"Real" oatmeal takes only ~3-4 min to prepare in a microwave. I eat it almost every day, with various additives. I can't stand quick oats, and keep the instant stuff for emergencies.

A

A window to the soul

I don't like toast, unless I splurge on nice bread that makes good toast, like rye bread. What I have:

often - steel cut oatmeal with sugar and dried fruit/berries of some kind
often - plain yogurt with bananas/berries, sometimes granola (I like harvest crunch), sometimes some honey
sometimes - eggs alone, fried
every so often - sugary cereal and milk, lol
every so often - eggs in an english muffin, with cheese and ham if I have any, even a bit of leafy greens on top is good
rarely and only on weekends - pancakes, or bacon/eggs/fried potatoes

I think what makes sense is high protein, some fat, some simple carbs, some complex carbs with fiber. I don't really have a reason, that just seems like a good way to start things. Combines long-lasting energy with a boost right away.

^ ooh all of that sounds so good! :D

"Real" oatmeal takes only ~3-4 min to prepare in a microwave. I eat it almost every day, with various additives. I can't stand quick oats, and keep the instant stuff for emergencies.

^ I do that too. Tasty. :yes:

wolfy

awsm
I often just have eggs and fruit. That isn't really cutting it now I am moving around so much. I think I will add in oatmeal. Any kind of balanced meal is fine, I don't know why more standard breakfast stuff is more carby. That doesn't make much sense.

The traditional Japanese breakfast is grilled salmon, miso soup and rice. I like it but it is a bit of a hassle.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why is it that toast with eggs became the standard?
What actually nutritionally makes the most sense in the morning?

toast with eggs isnt an standard, even if its popular in where you live.

i think porridge and some fruit would be optimal for nutrition

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't really stand the texture of the instant stuff and I don't usually have time for the real kind

If I have an hour free on the weekends, I make a big pot of steel-cut oatmeal - it doesn't need much watching, and it keeps very well. Throw it in a couple containers - it easily lasts for several days, maybe even until Friday, although mine's usually eaten by then. Just nuke it in the microwave for about 2min, add a bit of water if it looks dry/too thick.

I don't think I can stomach the texture of instant oats anymore after trying the real stuff. I always really liked the instant stuff before, but the real stuff I could eat like candy (with some sugar added, anyway). And it doesn't take any longer to heat it up on the weekday mornings which is when you're rushed.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well i say eat whatever ya want who cares ya know?

but i personally love breakfast...i think it's my favorite...not much makes me happier than a long leisurely breakfast or brunch buffet loaded with all of my favorite stuff. :)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I agree that eating a lot is good in the morning. I usually feel better and less hungry throughout the day if I do that. I've heard that people who eat a large breakfast usually are thinner, too, but that is not of particular concern for me.