• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dental Question

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay...

So, I have this lump under my chin.

It's about half an inch in diameter, and it feels heavy, swollen, warm, etc. I just saw the dentist 2 weeks ago, and said everything was fine, so I don't think it could be a root canal thing. My teeth feel fine. It's just the part right below my jawbone.

It came suddenly, too. I've been feeling under my chin for a while, because I had surgery on my jaw bones a year ago, and it's felt normal until this evening when I noticed the bump.

I think it could be related to my sickness. I've been feeling ill and dizzy all day, mostly from what feels like cold/flu symptoms. I think it's just an infection that can just go away with time, hopefully, but I'll go see a doctor sometime.

In short, I'm asking if it's possible that you can go to the dentist, say everything is hunky dory, and then have a possible root canal come along two weeks later, even though I brush every day and use mouthwash about twice a week.

P

Phantonym

It's most likely swollen lymph nodes, since you've been feeling ill lately. Could be salivary glands as well. Just go see a doctor. I hope things get better soon. With root canals, unless there's a cavity, tooth ache or any kind of discomfort with your teeth, an abscess nearby maybe, you can't really tell unless you have an x-ray. I don't think that root canals just appear out of the blue. But they can happen eventually, even regardless of brushing your teeth, unfortunately.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sounds like swollen lymph nodes...very normal especially with cold/flu symptoms. If that's all it is, no reason to see a doctor unless you're in extreme pain or they stay swollen for more than a month.

not that it's ever a bad idea to see a doctor. but swollen lymph nodes are usually harmless, if annoying.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can it just be on one side instead of both? I would think that if you had swollen lymphs they'd be on both sides, but I dunno. :shrug:

It's been rather painful recently. It hurts a lot to touch it, and it's pushing against my weak jawbone, and I can definitely feel it...even though I'd rather not. :dry:

The dizziness and very slight disorientation, if that's the word (as in for very brief moments I didn't know what the hell was going on around me, even though I should have) got worse today, but that's most likely from the loss of appetite I had, leading me to only eat a chocolate bar this morning.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah it's usually on just one side for me and kinda throbs all the time and hurts more when you touch it. If that's it, it'll go away after a week or two usually. Not that it couldn't be something else, I'm just thinking of horses instead of zebras.

Advil should help, if the pain is still really bad a doctor might be a good idea. You might have a fever causing your dizziness, if so advil will help with that too.