• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Looking for REAL facts, and USEFUL information on healthy nutritional requirements.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically I don't want to go to a nutritionist, because I don't want to be TOLD how to feed myself, and what exersizes I need to do, I want to LEARN it for myself.
I also don't want to be fed the party line, I'll come to that conclusion if it's the right conclusion.
Basically I want the hard facts, the theories, and cold hard scientific research, because I'm a bit sick of trying every fad diet only to be bitterly disappointed.
So I want to research things independently and come up with the next fad diet:smile:
I'll make millions, LOL.
So you guys want to help me for a share in the profits? Seriously, though....some of the most inspiring weight loss stories to me, are the people who got off thier asses and researched what worked for them, rather than just joining weight watchers or Jenny Craig, and they tended to keep it off.
Do any of you know some good web sites which are solid facts and not trying to sell you thier concept? So far the pages I've checked out all want to sell you some thing.

Last edited:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I want the hard facts, the theories, and cold hard scientific research, because I'm a bit sick of trying every fad diet only to be bitterly disappointed.

Well, that will be just as easy as finding hard facts about global warming and (legal) drugs. I assume you have browsed around enough to know that they all contradict each other. That's because someone pays for the studies that sell their product. It is very hard to find hard facts. I got bored of reading those studies and just went back to "the old ways". Not that I needed a diet, I can eat anything and not gain weight. But I wanted to eat more healthy without going into that whole religion they got around eating healthy. I eat stuff that is less processed. The way I see it, it is more likely that a diet of plenty of different unprocessed food is healthier than counting the protein and calories and whatever. So, drop anything that isn't in the form it was eaten two hundred years ago and start from there. I don't mean that you should have as monotonous diet as they had. Again, it is more likely you will eat healthy if you eat many different kinds of foods (because even if there are unhealthy products in the diet, you will balance it out with the other products). Don't eat meat every day. Eat a lot of fresh green stuff. It's not hard to see what is factory food and what isn't.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll probably mention it again in another thread when this happens. Your hypothalamus is the set point that regulates your homeostasis, in other words body shape!

The whole diet industry is like a yoyo because endocrine research in how the body regulates your metabolism is rarely taken into account properly.

The Central Nervous System:

The central nervous system (CNS) is made up of the brain and spinal cord. The primary form of communication in the CNS is the neuron. The brain and spinal cord are absolutely vital to life and functioning, so there are a number of protective barriers surrounding them starting with the bone (skull and spine) and membrane tissues known as meninges. In addition, both structures are suspended in a protective liquid known as cerebrospinal fluid.

Why are the brain and spinal cord so important? Think of these structures as the literal "center" of the body’s communication system. The CNS is responsible for processing every sensation and thought you experience. The sensory information that is gathered by receptors throughout the body then passes this information on to the central nervous system. The CNS also passes messages out to the rest of the body in order to control movement, actions and responses to the environment.
The Peripheral Nervous System:

The peripheral system (PNS) is composed of a number of nerves that extend outside of the central nervous system. The nerves and nerve networks that make up the PNS are actually bundles of axons from neuron cells. Nerves can range from relatively small to large bundles that can be easily seen by the human eye.

The PNS can be further divided into two different systems: the somatic nervous system and the autonomic nervous system.

* Somatic Nervous System: The somatic system transmits sensory communications and is responsible for voluntary movement and action. This system is composed of both sensory (afferent) neurons, which carry information from the nerves to the brain and spinal cord, and motor (efferent) neurons, which transmit information from the central nervous system to the muscle fibers.

* Autonomic Nervous System: The autonomic nervous system is responsible for controlling involuntary functions such as certain aspects of heartbeat, respiration, digestion and blood pressure. This system is also related to emotional responses such as sweating and crying. The autonomic system can then be further subdivided into two subsystems known as the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems.

o Sympathetic Nervous System: The sympathetic system controls the body’s response to emergencies. When this system is aroused, a number of things begin to occur: your heart and breathing rates increase, digestion slows or stops, the pupils dilate and you begin to sweat. Known as the fight-or-flight response, this system responds by preparing your body to either fight the danger or flee.

o Parasympathetic Nervous System: The parasympathetic nervous system functions to counter the sympathetic system. After a crisis or danger has passed, this system helps to calm the body. Heart and breathing rates slow, digestion resumes, pupil contract and sweating ceases.

The Endocrine System:

As noted earlier, the endocrine system is not a part of the nervous system, but it is still essential to communication throughout the body. This system is composed of glands, which secrete chemical messengers known as hormones. Hormones are carried in the bloodstream to specific areas of the body, including organs and body tissues. Some of the most important endocrine glands include the pineal gland, the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland, the thyroid, the ovaries and the testes. Each of these glands works in a number of unique ways in specific areas of the body.

So how are the endocrine and nervous system linked? The brain structure known as the hypothalamus connects these two important communication systems. The hypothalamus is a tiny collection of nuclei that is responsible for controlling an astonishing amount of behavior. Located at the base of the forebrain, the hypothalamus regulates basic needs such as sleep, hunger, thirst and sex in addition to emotional and stress responses. The hypothalamus also controls the pituitary glands, which then controls the release of hormones from other glands in the endocrine system.

How does knowing this help, because its relevant and you wanted facts.

The hypothalamus, weight loss, weight management & leptin notes.

A tiny cherry-sized zone in the brain called the hypothalamus holds a key in controlling weight. The hypothalamus is involved in controlling hunger and thirst -in fact, almost everything connected with the hypothalamus has the power to influence the numbers on our weight scales. While scientists work to solve the complete puzzle, dieters may benefit from what is currently known. Hypothalamus aside, let's review what is common knowledge in regards to weight gain in simple terms:

The ABC's of Weight Gain & Weight Management

- We know that too much food equals weight gain.
- We know that too little exercise can also lead to weight gain when we exceed our daily energy (food) requirements.
- We know that when we're hungry, we receive a signal from the body in the form of a growl. The hungrier we are, the bigger the growl.
- We know that when we're trying to lose weight, even a kitten-sized growl feels like a lion-sized growl.

What is responsible for creating that growl? The old hypothalamus is right in the middle of things. In fact, the hypothalamus is so multi-tasked that it is often referred to as the Master Brain as well as the Brain of the Brain. It knows when the body requires water, it spurs into action when our blood sugar levels fall and it can even have a big impact on how we feel about the foods and fluids that we ingest - from the way they taste to their level of satisfaction.

Before we dive off into the scientific's of the hypothalamus, you can use the information above to assist you while dieting, as well as during the weight maintenance phase. The next time that you hear your tummy growl (the hypothalamus telling you that the body needs fuel), think about what you want to refuel your body with. The following tips may be of help in creating the wisest choices:

- Fiber filled foods require a longer processing time by the body thus taming the appetite for longer periods of time. Good choices that fall within this category include: apples with the peel left on, oatmeal and hot-air popcorn.

- Sugar filled foods are quickly processed by the body and when unaccompanied by fat, the appetite will swiftly resurface. When you're craving a sugary food, opt for foods that are pumped with nutritional values - such as dried fruits.

- When your body craves fluids, it's impossible to beat H2O.

- Eat slowly as it takes about 20 minutes for the brain to register that the tummy is full (more on this below).

Additional Interesting Facts & Data Surrounding the Hypothalamus

What is the Hypothalamus?

Located beneath the thalamus region of the brain, the cherry-sized hypothalamus is responsible for regulating the metabolic process (among a plethora of other functions). The hypothalamus contains several groups of nerve cells which have the ability to impact emotions, regulate body temperature, motivate personal desires behavior as well as control blood pressure- in addition to influencing an army of other body functions as referenced above.

The hypothalamus in regards to human body weight: The hypothalamus contains a leptin-sensitive neutral network which works to regulate body weight and is highly effective in assuring that the body is supplied with the levels of energy necessary for survival. Leptin (a hormone) receptors are also located in several other areas within the body, including: taste receptor cells, nucleus accumbens, the thalamus and the caudal brainstem.

A couple of notes regarding leptin:

- Several new's agencies have reported that the hormone leptin found in mother's milk might be a key factor in body weight control.

- At one point, leptin treatments were hoped to be a key to preventing or reversing obesity but much controversy exists.

The hypothalamus is also involved in signaling when the tummy is full, but the time it takes from fork-to-mouth to feeling full takes about 20 minutes for most individuals. Many diet supplements focus on shortening this span to target weight loss. For example, some hoodia gordonii suppliers claim that the dietary supplement is so powerful that it fools the brain into believing it is full prior to eating. No 20 minute wait.

Recap: Functions Related to the Hypothalamus & Weight Loss

* the hypothalamus controls hunger;
* the hypothalamus controls thirst;
* levels of satiety (feeling of fullness) are also controlled by the hypothalamus
* the hypothalamus in involved in salt cravings (when sodium levels are too high within the body, the hypothalamus sends a signal to drink fluids);
* fluid & electrolyte balance are control by the hypothalamus;
* body weight is controlled by the hypothalamus.

Factors That Impact the Hypothalamus

* stress
* light, including length of day
* steroids, including corticosteroids
* blood-borne stimuli such as insulin
* olfactory stimuli
* invading microorganisms such as occur during illness

Hypothalamus Controls Appetite

Internal sense organs inform the hypothalamus of glucose levels in the blood, along with information concerning the body's current water content. When these levels become too low, the hypothalamus stimulates our appetite so that we desire food and/or drink.

These food-pattern disturbances are triggered by a disorder within the hypothalamus which typically occurs via brain hemorrhage within the hypothalamic region. Pituitary tumors may also cause a disorder to occur within the hypothalamus, particularly as they expand. Other situations which can make the hypothalamus malfunction to a lesser degree include: drugs and substance withdrawal.

When a disturbance within the hypothalamus occurs, other disturbances within the body may occur along with the shift in eating patterns. The individual may experience a disturbance in body temperature as well as increased OR decreased needs for sleep.

That's my hot cross linking without citation for today. :newwink:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm a sugar addict. Any one have any tips to beat this?
BTW, this good stuff so far.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
there's been studies done and I'll try to find one for you later. Where if you allow your self one day of the week whatever you want you're more likely to stay on track. Because if you think about say you eat healthy mon-sat and than sun is a free for all and say on thurs you want cookies if you go ok I'll save that til sunday you'll have something to look forward to if you want to multiple junkfood well you can only eat so much in a day.