• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hearing test. Can you hear this?

P

Phantonym

Very interesting. I got 22 kHz. But, to be honest, I did use my earbuds and turned the volume to the max. Maybe it was just my imagination and/or static. 19 kHz is barely audible, but no problem with 20 and onward.

Edit: Oh, wait, I turned the volume up on the page as well and went without the earbuds, listening to my tiny laptop's barely there speakers. I can hear all the squeaks. :D

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can hear it, but I'm also 19...I should be able to hear like a teenager, since I still am one...but I also consider myself to be pretty deaf in conversation, mostly because sounds in words sound the same to me. :shrug:

Oh, strange...I can only hear from 8kHz to 17kHz...:shock:

No wait...I can hear the rest of it if I turn up the speakers.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
The highest I can hear is 17kHz. I have significantly poorer hearing in my right ear than in my left though (has been this way for years) so that may explain something. Still, it's depressing, as I'm only 19 :(

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can barely hear 15kHz, and I'm 40. In my defense, I am in an office with some ambient noise. I wonder if it would be different with headphones.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Buh ... I can hear up to 14kHz with the speakers turned up all the way and no other noise in the room. I'm 21. :shock:

I wonder what that means.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The full 22 kHz at age 30!! Apparently this is one of the perks of living like a hermit. :D

Edit: On lame laptop speakers, but with the volume of the side two more bars upthan the default (i.e. to the max) and the lapton on 100%.

I was afraid I'd get a strange reaction from the cats, but they didn't seem to care at all.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I hear until 17 kHz... above I hear only the static.

edit: When I put volume to absolute max, I can hear to 19 kHz it seems, but VERY slightly. But who knows what I am actually hearing.
edit2: My headphones are officially only supposed to reach max 20 kHZ anyway.

Last edited:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
And at what volume should the sound be played?!

My ears are beeping louder than the 18...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could hear up to 19 khz. After that I just heard what sounded like a "click" sound at the very beginning and the very end of the clip.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's hard to believe that everyone is listening to the sounds at the same volume.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I can hear everything up to 15 khz and then only 21 khz.

My girlfriend told me it's normal for everybody to have a different hearing and viewing spectrum from birth on. I'ld refrain from taking the results as a true measure for ones hearing degradation. I'm quite convinced so in my case there is some degradation, I listened to loud ear phones for a long time and am approaching 30 :)

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I don't think this is meant to be taken seriously. It's just interesting to see to what extent people can hear those frequencies.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I turn the speakers up a bit I can hear at about 8-18kHz (from 18-22kHz I wasn't sure if I was hearing something, or if my ear was still buzzing from the previous ones...because yes... my ear was making buzzing noises.)

My ears DO NOT like these noises.

Not attempting this again lol. I think I remember hearing something about people developing ringtones out of these noises so that students can tell if they have a text/call so that teachers don't know.

Generally speaking, I'm able to hear someone listening to their iPod on really low volume using headphones.

Last edited:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Does it matter that everyone is using different types of speakers?

Yes, absolutely. I'm willing to bet Anyone who claims to hear 21/22khz is only hearing distortion at lower frequencies.

My hearing drops off rapidly between about 17.5khz-18.5khz. Tested with high quality headphones.