• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are some people softly spoken...

gromit

likes this
Oh wow that's so interesting, Dali!

I digress, dramatic-voiced singers have naturally thicker vocal cords which are necessary to produce the more powerful sound.

Can you exercise it and build it up, like a muscle, or is it mostly just biological/inherent?

D

Dali

Well, most opera singers, with time and when singing with a healthy vocal technique, typically gain a 'larger' sound due to thickening of the vocal cords. Hence, for instance, a lyric baritone might be able, in his late 30's onwards (typically) to undertake larger roles (requiring a larger sound) in the lyric-baritone repertoire but this is only up to a point; a lyric-baritone will never be able to undertake dramatic-baritone roles (not with any degree of proficiency, that is). This also works in reverse; a dramatic-baritone that continously 'undersings' his voice by singing softer and in a lighter tone than comes naturally to him runs the risk of developing a wobble in the singing voice due to the strain on the vocal cords. I'm using baritones as an example here but this applies to all voices.

So yes, were one to actively work on this, the thickness of one's vocal cords could be increased but it is a long process (no 'quick fixes' here) and even then, works only up to a point. One would do better to work on projection and enunciation were they to want to 'increase' the 'size' of their speaking voice.

rav3n

Loud doesn't mean you're going to gain anymore attention beyond annoyance, particularly from those standing or sitting closest to you. It's once again, how you say it and the content of what you say that's going to get you the responses that you want.

T

ThatGirl

I think it is selfish to not speak audibly. I hate people who mumble or speak at a pitch so low the words tend to sound like each other.

I have a strong voice, but at least I can be told to tone it down for the preference of the recipient, than to constantly be nagged to speak up or repeat my sentences. I am getting to the point where if you wont take the time to speak up, I don't have the time to listen.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Would getting a tonsillectomy improve how the voice sounds?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm very loud, but I don't believe it can be considered purposeful. I have been known as being loud since I was a small kid.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've always been naturally soft spoken, my brother's always had a voice that carries.

G

Glycerine

I have a really soft voice naturally. I hate speaking loud because I have acute hearing. I am the worst person for the hearing impaired....the sound waves of my voice seem to be too low and monotonous for them (so I have been told). However, anytime I get excited, I speak loudly and people tell me to quiet down. Quiet normally but loud when I get animated.

CoyBoomer

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
It depends on the company. In one-on-one conversation I am monotone. And if there is more than one person present I am spirited. If I have to represent myself to everyone, then I have to talk at them, not with them.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While others are loud as f@#k!

Eg. When I worked at a mail center once you could hear this freak of nature of a man from the other side of the room, what I thought was screaming, talking. It was so annoying I wanted to stick a rifle up his ass. Work people said, oh that's just normal, he's always like that. I would understand if he had hearing aid, you know half deaf. But no's this guy you could practically hear everything he said a mile away.

Is it medical or just learned behavior to be softly or loudly spoken?

Because quite frankly I used to be softly spoken too, ah well, I still am by particle degrees. Especially when I get that stoned look on my face and I just haven't got the energy to say diddly.

Experiences.

Was that guy named Chris by any chance?