• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Could I Be Getting Sick Again?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was recently quite ill, thought it was a cold at first, but turned into an obvious sinus infection which required antibiotics. For a few days, nearly a week, I nearly felt back to my old self. I complete my round of antibiotics today, but just yesterday I developed this weird, dry tickling cough, as though I had inhaled an irritating substance or am getting sick again.

The weird part is that I haven't been exposed to any thing I could have perilously breathed into my lungs, I don't smoke, and the phlegmy congestion is not present in the slightest.

Did I have one illness which was bacterial, and then catch a virus while my immune system was down? What should I do?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Go back to the doctor and tell them about your new symptoms. You might end up with another prescription.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I had a sinus infection for a year :( Of course I kept on being misdiagnosed and once I got antibiotics, it cleared it right up. I would agree that a trip back to the doc is in order...sometimes infections can be antibiotic resistant.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks for the advice, but going to the doctor costs money and I wondered if anyone knew anything about a dry cough without having to take that route. I did look it up on-line, and apparently dry coughs are common at the end of a sinus infection or flu due to irritated pathways, and I think sucking on cough drops and drinking hot beverages and eating soups might help with that. If the cough gets phlegmy again I'll have to go to the doctor. If I simply had a case of a virus that turned into a bacterial infection (this happens, and is why people died of the swine flu - their flu turned into bacterial infection and they didn't get antibiotics - and it's also why people used to die of normal flu back in the day because it would progress into pneumonia and there was no penicillin yet to treat it) then I may just be experiencing the last dregs of the virus whilst the bacterial infection was conquered.

I don't like to use antibiotics more than is necessary.

Oh and @ IZ...lol! Yeah, if I log off I'll get totally bored and not rest. Even when you see me on-line a lot I'm still doing other things. However, you may have a point about the stress and exertion it requires to argue on the forum, which would not be present if I would simply watch a movie or read a book or something.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for the advice, but going to the doctor costs money and I wondered if anyone knew anything about a dry cough without having to take that route. I did look it up on-line, and apparently dry coughs are common at the end of a sinus infection or flu due to irritated pathways, and I think sucking on cough drops and drinking hot beverages and eating soups might help with that. If the cough gets phlegmy again I'll have to go to the doctor. If I simply had a case of a virus that turned into a bacterial infection (this happens, and is why people died of the swine flu - their flu turned into bacterial infection and they didn't get antibiotics - and it's also why people used to die of normal flu back in the day because it would progress into pneumonia and there was no penicillin yet to treat it) then I may just be experiencing the last dregs of the virus whilst the bacterial infection was conquered.

I don't like to use antibiotics more than is necessary.

Sorry to hear that you're low on money. Well, if you can't afford the doctor, make sure to finish out your prescription, and then maybe switch to some over-the-counter cold medicine. And do all the things you said, and maybe it will clear up. If it doesn't, you should go back to the doctor.

Oh and @ IZ...lol! Yeah, if I log off I'll get totally bored and not rest. Even when you see me on-line a lot I'm still doing other things. However, you may have a point about the stress and exertion it requires to argue on the forum, which would not be present if I would simply watch a movie or read a book or something.

What?! No, don't listen to him. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Talking on a forum is not that stressful. I personally find it relaxing... it's a break from real life.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks, Athenian. The money issue is partly due to being sick (how ironic yet common) and also due to one of my bosses being behind on paying me on time since last month. I'm starting to think I need to return to West Virginia and finish my degree.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well the dry cough went away, must have been throat irritation, but I am achey today and had this horrible splitting headache, which admittedly lessened when I ate a whole wheat bagel this evening, since I had eaten plenty of food earlier today, but not any bread or grains at all. Clearly I needed complex carbohydrates. But I still feel yucky.

I do wonder if this is viral, or even a side-effect of the antibiotics which I just completed yesterday. I've had antibiotics make me feel dried out and sick to my stomach and headachey before.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I think it's important to avoid stress as much as possible. It lowers your immunity. I noticed my last 2 colds followed after I was stressed out for a few days. Hope you feel better soon.....

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I Went through this for over 2 years until I finally went to the DR. I was diagnosed with COPD , The most common form of which is Chronic Bronchitis . You don't smoke, But you do live in L.A. no? Smog capital of the USA??? Persistent exposure to high levels of smog can cause COPD.

If you ask me , sounds like Chronic Bronchitis .. However the Antibiotics should have cleared that up.

I might also add the other less common, but much more serious form of COPD is Emphysema.

I have test for that just to be safe in mid Feb..

I would say this is worth looking into if you can.

EDIT.. Allergies???

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks guys, I seem to be better now, it may be allergies. I remember the first time I lived in southern CA ten years ago a doctor told me I had mild allergies, which I do not suffer from in the climate back East.

I think I still had some throat irritation, also, from the bronchitis even after the antibiotics were finished for like a day or so, which is probably what caused the dry cough and it went away after I drank a bunch of tea and sucked on a cough drop.

I'm better now. I hope. I better be better.