• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Get TG Skinny in 30 Days or Less

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Tilty, plant sugars/carbs are processed much differently in the body than processed sugars, there is nothing wrong with natural sugars (although if one is diabetic you still need to watch your intake) but the natural sugars do not spike your blood sugar like refined sugars do, I experimented with this using my friends blood sugar monitor, I tested as 83 early in the morning be4 eating anything, drank an entire quart of carrot juice, and continued to test my blood sugar every 15 minutes over the next 2 hours, it only went up a few mg after the first 15 minutes, and it ended up just over 100 at about the hour mark, and stayed around there for the rest of the time we tested...

A similar experiment I did with a single 12 oz soda, ended up with my blood sugar spiking over 50 points in the first 15 minutes, and another 20 something by the next test, then dropped quickly after I ate some normal food... those sugar spikes and drops cause insulin resistance, and screw with your metabolism, where as the slowly building and sustained levels of natural sugars is perfectly healthy... carbs are not the enemy, processed carbs with no real nutritional value are.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
btw, if you eat a complex carb be4 the juice, then it raises even more slowly...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yep complex carbs are necessary, they stabilize blood sugar better.

Curator I love the experiment you did with the carrot juice and soda.

I know it's really makes a difference in my life when I avoid high fructose corn syrup and refined white sugar.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Yeah! ive dropped over 50 pounds of fat total since I did that, I also cut out processed fats as well, also, I found just by juicing a whole bunch of kale with the carrot in a later test, that the blood sugar raised much more slowly, and stayed sustained for much much longer, I found this curious, but im thinking it may be because of all the extra fiber introduced by the dark green leafy veggie... I think glucose meters can be a very good tool for anyone to use to help see how different foods effect their body if they are concerned about glycemic load...

Edit: ive also been bad the last couple months though and put back on about 10-15 lbs in that time, and im craving junk again, thats one thing i loved was after a month or so of not eating any process fats and sugars, I stopped craving them entirely...

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
oh god marmie I LOVE your new avatar, the other one was awesome, but that is adorable... the worlds most adorable orange,lol

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH A NINJA *hides* thats one way to reduce weight... have a ninja remove a few limbs for ya...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
oh god marmie I LOVE your new avatar, the other one was awesome, but that is adorable... the worlds most adorable orange,lol

Thanks! Haha EJCC helped me out with that one, she said she accidentally found my new avatar. :smile:

Are you following a raw food diet or something Curator? Does that get expensive? How do you make sure you get enough calories and protein?

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I was following a raw vegan diet most of last year, I found it cheaper than a normal american diet by far, its only after moving down here to my moms, I couldn't afford to buy all the food she prefers, and food for myself, and I had to have stuff she will eat, so ive been buying mostly stuff she likes...

as far as nutritional stuff goes, just my morning quart of juice had over 29% of my daily value of protein in it, protein is made up of amino acids, fruits and veggies have all the amino acids you need for your body to synthesize all the protein you need, also avocados actually have complete protein as well, but I didnt eat a lot of those... the key to a healthy raw food diet is variety!!! check out www.nutritiondata.com they have most foods nutritional content on there, actually heres a link to a rough equivalent of the juice I was drinking every morning when I could afford it.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/1758923/2 check out the full nutritional content, pretty awesome,lol...

I would also usually eat a really nice mixed greens salad with some nuts and fruits and other veggies, and sometimes sprouts, the strange thing is even a lot of meat eaters dont even get their daily value of protein, I always got considerably more (I do a lot of weight lifting, so I need more protein)

Edit: I forgot to mention, that when eating a 90% or higher raw food diet, I was spending $200 or less a month on food (id often have a considerable amount of leftover stuff from the previous month) obviously this will change though depending on where you are, and the availability of good fresh produce in your area, the cheapest way to do it is direct from small farms and gardeners though, organic the best, but hard to come by for cheap... most of what I bought was from stores however...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think carbs are the enemy. She just has been saying she feels like crap and the amount of carbs with not much to balance it and the long times between meals seem to me a likely reason.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah! ive dropped over 50 pounds of fat total since I did that, I also cut out processed fats as well, also, I found just by juicing a whole bunch of kale with the carrot in a later test, that the blood sugar raised much more slowly, and stayed sustained for much much longer, I found this curious, but im thinking it may be because of all the extra fiber introduced by the dark green leafy veggie... I think glucose meters can be a very good tool for anyone to use to help see how different foods effect their body if they are concerned about glycemic load...

Edit: ive also been bad the last couple months though and put back on about 10-15 lbs in that time, and im craving junk again, thats one thing i loved was after a month or so of not eating any process fats and sugars, I stopped craving them entirely...

Kale is so good for you!

What juicer do you like?

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I don't think carbs are the enemy. She just has been saying she feels like crap and the amount of carbs with not much to balance it and the long times between meals seem to me a likely reason.

This does seem likely - though I would definitely not underestimate the effect of cutting out caffeine for someone who practically lives on coffee but is sensitive to chemicals/stimulants... I remember adjustment periods where my body felt horrible for both not giving it "enough" caffeine and for feeding it the proper amount of food (because when I cut back extremely on caffeine, I felt nauseous, had a headache, etc). A 44 oz diet coke and coffee throughout the day... that is a quite a bit of caffeine. :horor:

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram

My apologies for misunderstanding then, im just so used to people confusing healthy carbs and bad carbs as acting the same on the body.

If money was no object, the Norwalk is an amazing juicer, but my favorite, both for the quality of its juice, its price, and its versatility, is the Omega 8004,it has the industries best and longest warranty, 15 years on everything , it gets the best results on the market with greens (other than the norwalk), its very excellent with carrots and other hard veggies (there are 2 other juicers that do a tiny bit better job, but tend to oxidize the juice more, and are more difficult to use and clean) and its still really good with fruit, but there are a few better than it at fruit, I prefer to eat fruit or make a smoothie with it rather than juice it anyway, Also, the omega 8004 can make delicious whole fruit sorbets using the blank screen (that by itself made is super easy to get off of processed sugars for me, fresh banana blueberry sorbet ready in 10 minutes? yes please! lol) I also like to make my own nut butters/ fruit spreads with it too... bread sticks as well, it handles the kneading!, I have not been able to give up my bread... so ive just been working on making healthier breads... it can also make noodles, and grind meat, and a bunch of other stuff, made baby food like stuff for my mom while she was undergoing chemo this last time, easier for her to eat, and digested more easily...

Basically, its the best juicer for me... although some people with different needs may find an Omega VRT, or a really really fast one if they need it to be quick... (with my omega 8004 I can get it set up, juice a quart of juice, and get it cleaned up in about 15 minutes, some people need speed more than quality though, so they get a good centrifugal that juices really fast...(minutes) although cleanup takes a lot longer...) blah, sorry if this sounds like an ad for the juicer, I just really love my juicer, spent months researching, and finally settled on this one after watching all the comparison videos on youtube, and ive been so happy with it ever since... it runs around $250 right now with free shipping on amazon.

Also Zoom, I totally agree with you, caffeine is bad stuff, processed sugars too... they have a horrible effect on ones body...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

ah, in the market? check all the youtube videos then, they may help you figure out which is best for you too, John Kohler from discountjuicers.com was really helpful too, actually most of the youtube videos are done by him, where he compares different juicers side by side... also, the omega 8006 is exactly the same as the 8004, but chromed and black so it doesnt end up staining, I think its around $30-$50 more though for something that just looks prettier...

T

ThatGirl

I am having a hard time writing this post, mostly because I am that good kind of tired, maybe a little lazy.

So today I did pretty well, I ate everything I have been. I walked an hour at lunch and covered twice the area I normally do.

After work I went to the gym, and swam. It was okay because turns out there is a water aerobics class at that time. The people were really nice, and encouraging. I think I would have liked a little more alone time though, to just swim.

I thought about this. I love water. It is so weird how if you flex just one muscle in your body it can change the entire direction of your movement. One flex, and you're heading in a different direction.

At the same time we were asked to do some exercises that I found would propel my body. Even when I didn't want it to move. So I started concentrating on the balance of my movements. I realized I favor my right upper body, and my left lower. So weird. Anyway I realized what an incredible act of balance it is to remain still while moving in water.

I loled when the teacher said, you are all doing really good! Some of you look really serious. I smiled, she smiled back.

It was fun. Swimming always makes me that good kind of whole body tired. So right now I am just chillen. I will try to do my sit ups later.

T

ThatGirl

Okay update,

I didn't do any of my exercises today. I woke up, feeling very tired and sore all over.

I ate probably a 1/4 of noodles, with 24oz of tomato sauce.

Today was massive fail.

Oh I also ate some beef tips.