• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Get TG Skinny in 30 Days or Less

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
First, lolwut?

... Anyways. Especially with a problem via the thyroid, you will have weight management issues the rest of your life with or without treatment. It just comes with the territory, your thyroid plays a huge role in it. Taking proactive measures to keep yourself on the same track no matter WHAT swing you are in WILL help though, in three major ways: You will prevent any other diseases or disorders from emerging unnecessarily, your body will be able to predict food and fluid intake (an important measure in losing weight), and it will make your life easier by getting into a routine diet and sticking to it.

The trick is WHEN you eat, what you eat, and how much you eat in comparison to calories burned.

Even in a sedentary lifestyle, just *being* (sleeping, etc.) you burn around 1,000 or so calories throughout a 24 hour period.

Salt, sugar, starches are not enemies.. but they need to be carefuly rationed. All of it. Your diet should focus on things that are slow burning.. dark, leafy greens and other foods that are low in calories but are COMPLEX will keep you burning them longer. Find some complex things you like and ration everything else based on that. Keeping yourself properly hydrated will help you out so much, especially during those times you do want to consume some empty calories. You may eat a bit less than normal during your "im not so hungry/weight losing" downswings, but your body will appreciate having a regular portion size when you're on the upswing side of it. You basically want to aim to eat a little less than the calories you burn in a day. So.. my suggestions:
1. On top of looking up the foods that will benefit you, look up how many calories you probably burn in a day.
During your weight gaining times -- Add some awesome high-powered exercise into the mix to make up for extra meals.
During your weight loss times -- Focus on yoga, stretching, and other limbering things that don't burn AS much as things like cardio endurance.
2. I'd start charting this all on a calendar... your weight, the way you feel, how you eat, etc.. Doing this will collect valuable data on when your body is doing this. If you notice after several weeks of going out and drinking more than usual, for example, you could identify alcohol being a cause in your weight gain or weight loss times. OR, more importantly, you could notice that it is fairly consistent when looked at over the span of a few months.
3. I would NOT diet. this 30-day thing is bullshit. You will hit weight-gains again. Complex foods, cut out a FEW of your bad habits (but don't turn this into a health-nut fest or it is destined to fail.. I recommend sugar, salt, and lack-of-proper-hydration if any of these are your problem..), and some portion controls are all you need to make your diet work in your favor. Know how much your cooking, and consuming, and it's easy to do the math. Nipping it in the bud before it has a chance to sprout again will be much more efficient for you.
4. KNOW your ideal weight, and stick to it. Burn more calories than you consume to lose weight.. consume the same amount of calories you burn to maintain it.
5. I highly recommend work-out DVDs because they're so convenient and cheap and they are easy to calorie-count with.

With some initial research and some quick-reference guides made for yourself, it would not take much at all to get you on the right track. I wish you luck girl. I hope you are doing this because you want to be at a healthy weight... but I won't give you some "Omg you're skinny!" lecture (to your face anyways >.> ) if you're concerned for your health. Everyone has a right to manage their health.. skinny =/= healthy.

T

ThatGirl

I have charted it.

Age/Weight

Up until 17 I was always somewhere between 120-130.

17/110

22/147

25/110

26/150 This was TK related

27/115

29/147

The gain or loss happens very quickly and that seems to stay the same for a couple years, then bam, quick change again.

I have lived in the past with the philosophy to follow my body, eat when I am hungry, don't if I am not.

Nothing seems to change this cycle, when I am in weight gain mode, I usually start freaking out around 147 and taking measures to stop it. I eat far less when I am chubby than when I am skinny. Though I want food all the time. I have had people make comments to me about my eating when in weight gain mode, because they say it looks like I haven't eaten in years, and not even stopping to take a breath. Lol

Thanks for the tips.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Much the way thirst tells you you're thirsty a bit too late, hunger is also late. Most people claim "I'm not hungry" during breakfast.. but physiologically speaking, that's a lie. They don't FEEL hungry, because their body wasn't in "Start the day" mode yet. I guarantee you people who get themselves into a habit of breakfast, and then quit it again, Will feel the difference. Eating regularly, regardless of hunger, is important. It doesnt' have to be much.. but ANYTHING for breakfast is better than nothing.

Routine habits and wholesome food are things your body appreciates the most. Eating when you notice to eat is like showering when you notice the funk. You know you're dirty even if you can't smell it on yourself yet :laugh:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
With thyroid, stress reduction is a key part of maintaining weight steadily. My cousin gained an alarming amount of weight and struggled for years. When she started walking twice a day for 45 minutes, it not only helped for exercise, but more importantly it reduced the constant load of emotional and physical stress she was carrying and allowed her to finally release the weight her body had stored. She had tried many different diets before, but exercise is an importnat component. If you can also see any other areas of your life in which your stress could be reduced, I think this will make a significant difference. Belly fat especially is stored due to stress hormones such as cortisol. Similarly, you can reduce cortisol production by getting enough sleep. When you have enough sleep, you also are less likely to turn to caffeine and sugar to up your energy levels. By reducing these spikes in your blood sugar and eating a balance of proteins and carbs, you steadily supply enough energy to your body to regulate itself smoothly. This also keeps your metabolism revved up, rather than allowing it to start trying to slow down and store calories because your body does not know when you will next get food.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Water is also a really important part of every function in your body working better. It fills you up (often we mistake thirst for hunger) and keeps you from becoming dehydrated. You then will process food differently because the body has enough water to keep it functioning smoothly and it can then operate more efficiently.

Usually if your weight it fluctuating that much, it should be an indicator that something in your diet, exercise, stress level, medication, or lifestyle needs to be altered. You are trying to respond to it as a temporary crisis when your body is calling for a less extreme, but more long term change. 30 days may give you a little jumpstart, but you would be much better to think in terms of crowding out old habits with more healthy new habits over the long haul.

T

ThatGirl

Okay I tried today, I didn't want to come into this thread massive fail.....

I was running late this morning due to cold shower issues., so yes I only got my coffee.

Come lunch time, I went to take my usually nap in my car, and realized that I was going to post, completely failed, in this thread tonight because I thought skipping breakfast was ultimate failure.

So instead I got up, and walked my butt to the market. Nothing looked good, but I settled on a carrot, cheese, and sugar snap, snack pack. I ate half of that before time for work.

When I got off work I took TK for a walk around the block. Walking as fast as I could, I walked, until TK would get tired, then I carried him. At the end he took off running, so I jogged back to the house.

I haven't eaten dinner yet. I am not really hungry. I went to the market, nothing looked good.

I am trying to convince myself to make some stir fried veggies, but I figure the hunger will kick in eventually.

In the mean time, I do my 100 sit ups.

Also I bought water instead of diet coke, though I have yet to drink it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're not eating enough calories, though you do have the right idea with the veggies and cheese.

May I suggest that you incorporate beans for healthy protein and "good carbs" as well as whole grains like oatmeal and brown rice, even if you choose to avoid bread. If you do eat bread, just get brown bread with the lowest sugar gram content possible, generally stick to ones made without high fructose corn syrup.

Fish, skinless chicken, boiled or poached eggs, and other lean cuts of meat are healthy, even if you choose to avoid things like bacon and ground beef.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I don't know if this will help you TG, but it worked for me:

I was always very, very bad about skipping breakfast. One of my close friends who is now a personal trainer recommended that I start making fruit smoothies with protein powder. He said that a high protein breakfast will kick start your metabolism. So I would just buy frozen strawberries and those protein powders from GNC and such... And blend them into a smoothie.

The best part about them, is that I could make them in the evening in individual cups... Stick them in the fridge, and just grab one in the morning.

It really did help me lose weight. Because without them I would end up not having my first meal of the day until 3-5pm.

Just throwing the idea out there in case you rarely have time for breakfast, like me.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've also found that if I cook up staples like whole grains, stir fry, chicken breasts, salmon fillets etc and freeze them, I am much more likely to eat healthily. It's even better if you remember to freeze them in meal sized portions. If there's room at work, I've also found that having all the stuff for salad fixings, a couple pieces of fruit, and some packaged turkey slices in the fridge means that I don't end up skipping meals as often, or going to the pop machine for my meal.

It's also a good idea to think of having snacks around for mid morning and midafternoon that would include a carb and a protein - apples and peanut butter, cheese and some whole grain crackers, nuts and a piece of fruit, yoghurt, etc. Many of those types of things can even be stored in your desk and don't all require refrigeration or preparation.

Eating enough calories and eating them at steady intervals throughout the day will do wonders for your metabolism.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sounds like you're taking good steps in the right direction though. Keep up the good work! TK will be one of your best pieces of exercise equipment! There are a lot of exercises you can do without equipment: pushups, crunches (sit ups can be hard on your back, so be careful!), planks, pushups, squats and lunges. If you can combine more than one major muscle group, it's even better. For example, lifting a four gallon jug filled with water or a couple of cans of something will work out your arms at the same time as your legs while you do squats or lunges. Anything involving squatting and then jumping, or lunges with a jump into the opposite side's lunch etc will also burn more calories and build muscle faster (plyometrics).

T

ThatGirl

Thanks everyone, all very excellent ideas I am incorporating. The problem with my metabolism is that is sucks the life out of anything I eat right now. So that all seems like a lot of food, lol. I still haven't eaten dinner yet. Going off a half a snack pack today :/

Hopefully tomorrow works out better.

Also yes, when I have the time I do cook full meals, like chicken and rice, pasta, enchiladas etc. The problem is that I freeze them in the Ziplock containers, and that those are worth like 3 meals.

I also hate to see food go to waste. When I keep fresh veggies and salad on hand, I feel the need to eat it, or it goes in the trash because I cannot finish it in time.

That's a lot of pressure! Lol.

Not to mention, a waste of money.

I will try to incorporate a yogurt for breakfast tomorrow. Maybe the snack pack at lunch, and some sort of dinner.

:doh:

V

violaine

I don't know if anyone has said it already but if you are eating three meals a day, breakfast should be your biggest meal. It kick-starts your metabolism. Dinner should be a fairly small portion by comparison and try not to eat it too late. Don't skip it though, better to eat late than not eat. Five small meals a day is the better way to go imo but it might take some working up to.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
TG the amount of food you're eating (or rather not eating) looks like an eating disorder. If you are eating that little number calories on a regular basis, then occassionally allowing yourself to eat normal meals, or eating larger meals to overcompensate, that's why you're gaining weight. Your body thinks it's starving.

I wouldn't worry too much about having salad things and veggies stocked up in your fridge - veggies are so low in calories and are usually fat free, or have trace amounts of healthy "good" fats, that you could eat vegetables all day long. Many diet plans allow you to eat fruit and vegetables without portion control as long as you aren't adding fattening dressings or sugary dips or spreads to them.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
TG the amount of food you're eating (or rather not eating) looks like an eating disorder. If you are eating that little number calories on a regular basis, then occassionally allowing yourself to eat normal meals, or eating larger meals to overcompensate, that's why you're gaining weight. Your body thinks it's starving.

This.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh and your skinny, eat some more red meat.

Had to be said.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Has anyone suggested this??

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQYVRr0EYBA"].[/YOUTUBE]

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you should eat pre-planned meals at set times, whether they look good or sound good to you or not, and whether you are hungry or not. Choke down a boiled egg or chug a shake for breakfast at the same time every day, eat at least a protein bar (if you're not going to do Atkins) at the same lunch time every day, eat some meat and a vegetable or two or three every evening at the same time. Just do it.

And have food ready like Fidelia said -- that food stays good for several days in the refrigerator. If you freeze in big ziplocs, get the smaller sized ziplocs, yo. If you have food available, it's easier not to go off on a tangent.

Sometimes I have food that I've made for myself at home in the refrigerator, but I get it into my head that I want something else. I've found if I just heat up the food I made and planned on, it's pretty darn tasty once I start eating it.

Take a multivitamin. You're not getting enough nutrition.