• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone a low-carber?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All i can really say is that if you have a real problem choosing healthier items dining out, or at a fast food restaurant, then you shouldn't dine out.

if you have to eat low carb for health reasons..why do you even bother trying to eat out? I had a boyfriend who was a diabetic, he has been since he was 3 years old and he always opted for healthier food. If we would go out for hot wings, he would ask that they not be breaded, and that the sauce be on the side. I think there is always a healthier option. Honestly i never go out to eat for breakfast and i eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast, so i don't really know what that is like.

The few times i have gone out for breakfast were times that i wasn't striving for a healthier lifestyle, so i would indulge in those beautiful pancakes with extra butter and syrup.

And something appearing small, doesn't necessarily mean that it is calorie-wise. I can eat a good deal, but a normal fast food meal at Wendy's could account for almost half of my daily caloric intake. Now, when people at fast food 3-4 times a day, you're looking at possibly thousands of calories per day over maintanence.

wow, one day, before i was dieting, i went to jack in the box and got an ultimate cheeseburger and a large order of curly fries. I went and looked at the nutritional information and i had consumed almost 2000 calories. that is just unhealthy, and i know people who eat like that 3 times a day.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
All i can really say is that if you have a real problem choosing healthier items dining out, or at a fast food restaurant, then you shouldn't dine out.

if you have to eat low carb for health reasons..why do you even bother trying to eat out? I had a boyfriend who was a diabetic, he has been since he was 3 years old and he always opted for healthier food. If we would go out for hot wings, he would ask that they not be breaded, and that the sauce be on the side. I think there is always a healthier option. Honestly i never go out to eat for breakfast and i eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast, so i don't really know what that is like.

The few times i have gone out for breakfast were times that i wasn't striving for a healthier lifestyle, so i would indulge in those beautiful pancakes with extra butter and syrup.

Well, sometimes, you think of others. I'm the only diabetic in the family. The point of my post was my perspective on the American diet as one who really sees what that is from having to.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a good friend who is insulin resistant, and low carb dieting works for her. I have a retired colleague/friend who SWEARS by low carb diets -- but he also plays raquetball for about an hour every day. For years now, he looks great (use to be on the chunky side), and his lipid tests are always great. He has a family history of high cholesterol and high blood pressure (he did, too, until he did the low-carb). So two out of maybe 20 folks that I know are successful with this type of diet.

alicia91

So two out of maybe 20 folks that I know are successful with this type of diet.

That's a lot better statistic than usual diets! Weight Watchers is generally regarded as being proven to be most successful for weight loss and it only has a success rate of 1/200.

One thing about diets, everyone has a different definition. When you say this type of diet (low carb)- what do you mean - 50 g of carb a day, 200g? On Atkins and South Beach you get to set your own limit (on SB you don't even have to count). So when an Atkins dieter has lost all their weight,their diet could resemble a typical diet just sans the sugar and refined carbs.

But you are right that it's hard - eating without sugar and refined carbs is HARD - sugar is in everything!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Even with low-carb diets you need to reduce your calories. It's still basic science. THe idea however behind them is that since carbs turn to sugar in your bloodstream and you then get an insulin response to clean up the sugar and in many cases in overweight people the insulin makes the blood-sugar too low. Then your body craves more sugar and starch. When you are young and healthy it's probably OK to deal with this, but when you are older and have been having this reaction you eventurally become Insulin Resistant which is the precursor to Type 2 Diabetes. That's why the Diabetic diet is low-carb - no blood sugar swings. My doc believes that I'm mildly Insulin Resistant at this point and need to get it under control or I'm headed for Type 2.

The unfortunate thing about some of the low-carb diets is that their authors have 'sold-out'. Atkins, South Beach and The Zone are a few that come to mind - the authors all clearly promote all-natural, whole,non-processed foods yet when they become famous they begin selling their version of processed food or they sell their name to someone who makes it - dinners, bars,shakes etc. I guess there is a huge demand for convenience foods.

So, you do know *why* you lose weight on an atkins diet though, right? Protein sends signals to your stomach->brain that you are full and so you want to stop eating. That's why high protein meats (the classic low carb meal) make you feel full. When they work it is only because you are eating a low calorie diet. And it is only a low calorie diet because you feel full more easily.. if you eat large amounts of low carb food you'll get fat just like most other foods, and in the bargain it is likely to be especially unhealthy as a way to do it.

The diabetes risk is low with a regular diet unless you are obese.

alicia91

The diabetes risk is low with a regular diet unless you are obese.

Exactly what is a "regular" diet? There is no such thing! The 'average' American diet is full of fat, sugar, refined-crap, low on vegetables and fiber and it's my understanding that it's not healthy at all. But my good friend is healthy and follows her version of 'regular' which is vegetarian. I have another friend who follows a regular diet and it's paleo-based.

So, you do know *why* you lose weight on an atkins diet though, right? Protein sends signals to your stomach->brain that you are full and so you want to stop eating. That's why high protein meats (the classic low carb meal) make you feel full. When they work it is only because you are eating a low calorie diet.

I don't know if I agree that it's as simple as that. Dr. Atkins, Dr. Schwarzbein, Dr. Agaston, the Eades and others all say that many of us are simply eating too much along with eating the wrong things. But several of them believe that there is a metabolic advantage involved with low-carbing. For example I know there have been studies comparing two groups who ate the same number of calories, one group low-carbed and one didn't. Even after the inital water-loss, the low-carb group lost more. In my case, it's irrelevant, because my motives are to stablilize my blood sugar (since I'm starting to have trouble with that) and prevent diabetes. And while I'm technically overweight, I'm not in the obese category.

I realize that the initial intent of this post has gone way off tangent (and I helped contribute to it by debating the merits). I originally posted hoping to hear from other low-carbers and see what they were doing and so forth. But it's turning into a negative thing from people who I don't even know have ever tried it. I have no trouble defending low-carb - I have lots of links to studies etc. but that's wasn't my intention here. If any of you are interested in learning more and debating the merits of these plans please join me at Low Carb Friends OR we could start a new thread and debate various diets. :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've tried it. Believe me, I've read all the books. I even lost a little weight on Atkins back in the day but I felt like crap all the time. I was super, super diligent, too. I fat-fasted twice to try to kick the cravings but now I can't believe I ever ate that way. It seems SO unhealthy.

The best evidence for a healthy diet that I have seen (unbiased evidence) indicates that the bulk of the ideal human diet should be vegetable matter (which includes fruits, beans, and nuts), as much of it as possible fresh, with limited grains and even more limited animal products.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Exactly what is a "regular" diet? There is no such thing! The 'average' American diet is full of fat, sugar, refined-crap, low on vegetables and fiber and it's my understanding that it's not healthy at all. But my good friend is healthy and follows her version of 'regular' which is vegetarian. I have another friend who follows a regular diet and it's paleo-based.

I don't know if I agree that it's as simple as that. Dr. Atkins, Dr. Schwarzbein, Dr. Agaston, the Eades and others all say that many of us are simply eating too much along with eating the wrong things. But several of them believe that there is a metabolic advantage involved with low-carbing. For example I know there have been studies comparing two groups who ate the same number of calories, one group low-carbed and one didn't. Even after the inital water-loss, the low-carb group lost more. In my case, it's irrelevant, because my motives are to stablilize my blood sugar (since I'm starting to have trouble with that) and prevent diabetes. And while I'm technically overweight, I'm not in the obese category.

I realize that the initial intent of this post has gone way off tangent (and I helped contribute to it by debating the merits). I originally posted hoping to hear from other low-carbers and see what they were doing and so forth. But it's turning into a negative thing from people who I don't even know have ever tried it. I have no trouble defending low-carb - I have lots of links to studies etc. but that's wasn't my intention here. If any of you are interested in learning more and debating the merits of these plans please join me at Low Carb Friends OR we could start a new thread and debate various diets. :)

Well, I meant no offence. I just watched a very convincing objective BBC documentary about low-carb diets that tended to show they worked just because people ended up eating less calories. Not in itself a bad thing.. I suspect...

By the way, I was quite disturbed to see that recent research shows that being a little overweight is less dangerous than being obese. It's so counter-intuitive. But a major study (I am afraid I dont have reference to it, as it was on a BBC radio science programme i was listening to) found pretty conclusively that obesity kills, but being a few pounds overweight lowered the risks in comparison with being ideal weight. And you are likely in that category (just like me) of needing.. wanting.. to lose 10-15 lbs to be ideal weight but actually might end up with a shorter lifespan if you did. At least statistically in terms of risks for cancers etc.

Quite agree about the typical American Diet. The typical British one (which I avoid for a mediterranean/asian one) isn't great but I am horrified by the US one when I visit, and in particular portion sizes. That seems the biggest problem facing the US public.. more eating out and with over-large portions. Get that under control and most other things should follow :yes:

alicia91

Geoff - no offense taken. I just was suprised at the negativity towards it especially when I mentioned that my physician wants me to cut carbs. I've got more to lose though - I think about 30 pounds.

I think what's happened with "portion control" school of thought is that people are eating crap, then getting hungry and therefore not being able to stop themselves from gorging. I mean, what's going to fill you up more and keep you satisfied - a bowl of cornflakes and skim milk, with a side of orange juice (Typical 'heathy American Breakfast') or a cup of cottage cheese with blueberries, perhaps with a celery stick with peanut butter on the side?

Ivy - have you ever looked at the South Beach Diet? It's heavily vegetable-based with lean meats, good fats, no sugar, low-fat dairy, nuts and low-glycemic fruits.

I've decided to give the Schwarzbein plan another go rather than Atkins. It's just easier for my livestyle. So today I'm having:

Breakfast - mix of plain yogurt, cottage cheese (1/4 c) and blueberries, hard boiled egg

Lunch - large salad with grilled chicken (4 oz), oil and vinegar dressing, 2 rye vasa crisp bread with scrape of butter

Snack - 2 celery sticks with almond butter

Dinner - stuffed green peppers (made with ground beef, brown rice, and a little tomato sauce), green salad and asparagus

Snack if needed - Rye crisp with laughing cow cheese

Total carbs (not including non-starchy vegetables) - about 45 grams
Total calories - about 1400

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ivy - have you ever looked at the South Beach Diet? It's heavily vegetable-based with lean meats, good fats, no sugar, low-fat dairy, nuts and low-glycemic fruits.

Yep, the SB is what I was referring to when I said earlier that lowcarb CAN be healthy. But honestly, and maybe this is my inner P shining through, I think using any heavily detailed prescribed "plan" is doomed to failure- I beat myself up less if I simply aim for 90/10 good to not-so-good food intake.

Having said that I did start Weight Watchers over the weekend because I need to build in more awareness of portion control. It's not a restrictive diet so you can pretty much make it what you want. I know people who low-carb on WW.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

I've decided to give the Schwarzbein plan another go rather than Atkins. It's just easier for my livestyle. So today I'm having:

Breakfast - mix of plain yogurt, cottage cheese (1/4 c) and blueberries, hard boiled egg

Lunch - large salad with grilled chicken (4 oz), oil and vinegar dressing, 2 rye vasa crisp bread with scrape of butter

Dinner - stuffed green peppers (made with ground beef, brown rice, and a little tomato sauce), green salad and asparagus

Total calories - about 1500

It sounds quite a fun daily set of foods, quite edible in fact!

However, 1,500 is kind of low. Do you find you keep weight off at that level? I find I have just undereat a little less than that, otherwise my body thinks I am literally starving and as soon as I eat a bit more again I weight gain far too easily. That sort of level might be hard to sustain once you settle out of it again...

I used to be 60lb heavier than I am now, so I had to be very careful when I stopped my weight loss programme. Which was done by eating about 2-300 calories less than recommended daily, plus exercise.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sixty pounds! that's awesome, Geoff!

alicia91

However, 1,500 is kind of low. Do you find you keep weight off at that level?

I just edited to 1400. I have a really hard time losing and need less calories than other people - probably due to the fact that I'm over 40, a woman, and only 5'5". I calculated my BMR and took my activity level into account to figure out the formula for losing about 1-2 pounds per week (closer to 1 pound for me). The idea is that when you are at your weight loss target you will increase your calories to a maintenance level.

It sounds quite a fun daily set of foods, quite edible in fact!

Yes, on Schwarzbein and South Beach you can start eating this way right away, on Atkins you would probably not get to this until after a couple of months. But no buttered bacon (inside joke of low-carbers - non low-carbers often think we eat this way)!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Total calories - about 1400

Wow your snack is just 2 celery sticks with almond butter? that would make me hungry! lol

my typical day is

Breakfast-oatmeal and either an apple, banana or grapefruit
Snack-Carrots and cucumbers with a little bit of lite ranch dressing. And sometimes a piece of whole wheat toast, with no butter of course.
Lunch- No-fat refried beans, wrapped in two whole wheat tortillas with salsa
and a small salad, loaded with veggies with no fat french dressing.
Snack- 100 calorie packs Kettle Popcorn
Dinner-Grilled chicken breast with brown rice and some sort of a vegetable.
Dessert- No-Sugar Jello Double Chocolate pudding (it only has 60 calories.;) ) )

I also drink a lot of water. I find that when i get a craving for something, drinking a whole bottle of water, or brushing my teeth helps me fight it.:yes:
I usually stay between 1200 and 1500 calories.

Also i have a very easy work out routine that works great for me. I take a 30 minute walk EVERYDAY, if the weather allows.
I do cardio on a treadmill or an elliptical for 45 minutes 2 times a week and I strength train twice a week.

do you have any sort of exercise routine?

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
Well, I'm not a low-carber.. but since I finally graduated from college, I'm setting myself up for the benefits of a healthy diet. I'm going to be making use of the delivery option from alot of these large grocery stores, and then information from online recipe sites, online healthy food sites, and online grocery list sites. What I'm going to do this week is plan a string of meals for the next year or two, then see the basic ingredients common to all of them (that are non-perishable), then order those ingredients in bulk for to-my-door delivery. When I order the basics, I'll also tack on the foods I need for the next month, and go from there.

I'm a big computer geek, so by the time I'm done with this I'm going to have written up a software program that can automatically take in recipe information and price information for the dishes I like (as well as quick-makes), and generate me a list of big items (for delivery), and supplementary items that I can pick up on my way from work. My goal is to not have anything unhealthy in my house while ensuring that what I do have is balanced enough that I can actually stick with it, and ensuring that I won't get lazy to go to the store, and just order some pizza (ARGHHH!).

I've been scrawny all my life, so I'm not doing this to get skinny.. rather I'm doing this as part of my post bulk up solution.

YEA! Feels good to be a nerd, and to be able to say "fuck you" to myself, and my own laziness by eliminating the guesswork of buying food and eating right FOREVER!

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I just edited to 1400. I have a really hard time losing and need less calories than other people - probably due to the fact that I'm over 40, a woman, and only 5'5". I calculated my BMR and took my activity level into account to figure out the formula for losing about 1-2 pounds per week (closer to 1 pound for me). The idea is that when you are at your weight loss target you will increase your calories to a maintenance level.

You're the age and sex when T2 usually starts to, slowly, show up. Your first post said you feel better low-carbing... could be blood sugar swings are decreased then. There are so many health advantages to eating low-glycemic including many types of cancer so, if I were you, I would have my blood sugars checked. So many people don't even know they have a problem.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My goal is to not have anything unhealthy in my house while ensuring that what I do have is balanced enough that I can actually stick with it, and ensuring that I won't get lazy to go to the store, and just order some pizza (ARGHHH!).

oh man, i absolutely can not turn down a slice of pizza. Pizza is my enemy, and i can't just have one slice, i have to have half a pizza. =( I got really fat working at Domino's Pizza for 2 years.:blush:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Pizza is awesome. I have to keep it out of the house as well. It's like a powerhouse of fat, starch, and protein, more of all three than anybody needs. BUT! we order it once in awhile because I am a firm believer in moderation, but the only way I can do moderation with pizza is to pig the F out on it VERY occasionally instead of trying to have just one slice on a regular basis. :)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
We usually order it once a month now, and i do just eat half the pizza, because i know i can't resist it. we used to order it once a week and when i was pregnant i would just order a whole pizza, and just eat it all. Oh those were the days.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I looove pizza and when first getting my sugars under control I really missed it. Smelling what the rest of the family was eating made me come up with my own which was actually pretty easy since everything (except pineapple if you like that kind) is low-carb anyway. I just sauteed the toppings and put them all on a low-carb (mostly fiber) tortilla sprinkled on cheese and baked it. Yum.