• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curly Hair

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Well, I am going to really freak you out Gromit, becuase I am about to one up the curly girl method...

Only shampoo your hair 2-4 times per month. Instead, use conditioner in the same way you would shampoo - massaging / scrubbing your scalp and hair just like you are giving yourself a good shampoo and rinse thoroughly. When you do shampoo, only shampoo at the roots and then let the shampoo just run over the balance of your hair when rinsing.

I cross my heart and hope to die, that your hair will not only NOT be gross, you will see a world of difference in a few weeks. I just use dove products because they work great for dry hair and are really reasonably priced.

I told a friend of a friend about this a few weeks ago, and despite the horrified look on her face, I guess she decided to try it and sent word back through our mutual friend that it is working great.

P.S. This is also helpful for dry scalp issues :)

P.S.S. I don't use any sticky products in my hair like hair spray or gel. I only use silicone based anti-frizz products. I am not sure how / if this would work with someone who uses sticky hair products.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gromit,

Is your hair thin like most curlies? Or is the strand thick and strong? If it's thin, then you might need a little more protein but if it's thick, too much protein can make it brittle. My hair is super thick and coiled ln pencil size curls...I have to skip using a conditioner with protein.

This lady has some really good information on curly hair. Despite reading a lot on it, my hair didn't start to look good until I followed her suggestions:

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/about tiffany.htm

gromit

likes this
I have been using conditioner as shampoo for a couple days now... have to say the results are promising.

Redbone,thanks for that link! So informative. My hair is on the finer side, so it seems like probably protein could be a good idea. I'm going to stick with the conditioner-as-shampoo for a little while longer and see how it goes. It may be all I need.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
For ladies with curls...

I hope guys are allowed to subscribe to this thread also! Hey, we have hair too y'know! *some of us, anyway ;)*

Is your hair thin like most curlies? Or is the strand thick and strong? If it's thin, then you might need a little more protein but if it's thick, too much protein can make it brittle. My hair is super thick and coiled ln pencil size curls...I have to skip using a conditioner with protein.

This lady has some really good information on curly hair. Despite reading a lot on it, my hair didn't start to look good until I followed her suggestions:

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/about tiffany.htm

Interesting, yours sounds rather like mine... :thinking: Well, if you should happen to get back to this thread I'd be interested to know what works for you - hopefully not involving lots of ladies' hair products of uncertain function that I wouldn't know what to do with anyway! :ohmy:

I never brush it when it's dry,
Brush? Hair? Dry? This is possible? :unsure:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Brush? Hair? Dry? This is possible? :unsure:
:rofl1: I could not have said this better!

Seriously, when I brush my hair and it's dry, it ends up looking pretty much exactly like this in a different color...

earlymadonna.jpg

... and not in a good way.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I had very curly hair when I was a toddler. There are photographs of it. It has straigthened out since, except for some curls going always in the wrong way when my hair is longer than 5 cms. That's why I keep it very very short. (also - 'the wrong way' is usually in my eyes...)

gromit

likes this
:rofl1: I could not have said this better!

Seriously, when I brush my hair and it's dry, it ends up looking pretty much exactly like this in a different color...

... and not in a good way.[/QUOTE]
:laugh: Yeah exactly.

[QUOTE="Tamske, post: 1426850, member: 8327"]I had very curly hair when I was a toddler. There are photographs of it. It has straigthened out since, except for some curls going always in the wrong way when my hair is longer than 5 cms. That's why I keep it very very short. (also - 'the wrong way' is usually in my eyes...)[/QUOTE]

Ha... mine was the exact opposite. Straight as a kid and then it got super frizzy and curly at puberty. Super cute. Esp with the braces. :cheese:

[QUOTE="JoSunshine, post: 1426756, member: 8877"]How's the hair now that it's been a few weeks, Gromit?[/QUOTE]

So I've been doing the conditioner 'wash' with a combination of the different methods that seemed right to me.

However, it seems like I have to use SO MUCH conditioner. It doesn't spread around nearly as easily as shampoo, I feel like I have to work a lot harder to get it all the way through my hair. Anyone else experience this?

[QUOTE="Redbone, post: 1408967, member: 9883"]Gromit,

[url]http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/about%20tiffany.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

I liked this site a lot! She explained things really well and also gave a list of ingredients, which was very helpful.

As for my hair, it's pretty fine. So maybe the protein would be helpful. I'm holding off on more intense or expensive stuff for now, though.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Yeah, I agree that this way takes more conditioner. Sometimes if I just "add water" while I am "washing" my hair with the conditioner, it seems to spread around easier. I guess I figure that I use more conditioner, but since I am not using any shampoo, it's ok :)

Is your hair feeling less dry?

gromit

likes this
Overall yes, definitely. I still would want it to be even less dry. Maybe it's time to look into some hair lotions and stuff.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Make sure your atmosphere is humidified. I used to fuss with a humidifier but then I started using an old crockpot I got at the Salvation Army store -- I fill it with water, turn the crockpot on, and it evaporates into the air all day. It makes a big difference with hair and skin in the winter.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Make sure your atmosphere is humidified. I used to fuss with a humidifier but then I started using an old crockpot I got at the Salvation Army store -- I fill it with water, turn the crockpot on, and it evaporates into the air all day. It makes a big difference with hair and skin in the winter.

Ooh, the crockpot idea is a good one!

As far as using a lot of conditioner to co-wash, that's why most people use cheap ones for the co-wash, like Suave Naturals or VO-5, and then a pricier conditioner as a deep treatment or leave in. You'll go through lots of the co-wash one.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you want to spend some cash dollar, Elucence is good.

If you're looking for a drug-store brand, Suave Coconut conditioner and VO-5 Strawberries (and Cream?) is good. I prefer the Suave but I use it on my daughter's hair, not mine. Her hair is curly, too, but it has a different curl pattern and is far, far thinner and less porous than mine. If I use that Suave in my hair, it goes off the super-crunchy scale--brutal brittality!

Ragashree, I use Yes!to Cucumbers. I buy at Walgreens...it's the only place I can find it. They don't sell it at the CVS here. There is also a Yes!to Carrots and a Yes!to Tomatoes. Steer clear of the Tomatoes, it has a very strong fragrance *ugh*. It's one of the few low-protein conditioners I can find. It's not cheap at $8.00/bottle. It's okay to use a small amount as a leave-in but I make my own hair butters and lotions to avoid quickly using up my precious conditioner.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I feels your pain ladies. I truly sympathize. My hair is a pain in the ass :steam:

i've tried so many things.

Leave in conditioner at the tips seems to work. sometimes a deep olive oil conditioning before you shower.

I braid it till it dries so it doesn't go apeshit on me.

gromit

likes this
So even the conditioner-only deal still has my hair a kinda dry. I was at the Indian grocer this afternoon and found this:
216CQY%2B-WhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

which I bought and applied to my hair and scalp just now. Heheh the funny thing is that apparently it has a pretty high melting point, so, in the air in my apartment, it is solid state, but it melts in your hand. Weird. I did not expect that.

Anyway, I'll wash it out in the morning. Glad I'm not my own lover tonight. :cheese: