• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Canker Sore Information

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't get it, I thought canker sore usually stopped occuring by early adulthood, yet at 21 I still get them all the time. Do they ever go away at all, or am I doomed to get them throughout the rest of my life?

Also, any additional information on cure treatments, or anything on how to heal/negate the pain would be much appreciated, thanks.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Foaming agents in toothpastes can be a major culprit. Closys brand is an example of toothpaste available that does not foam. I highly recommend it to you.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was trying to find just that a year ago. You know what I was told to do? Use warm water and salt and rinse your mouth a couple times a day with it whenever you can.

I think the point of it was to keep the sore clean and to avoid irritating it further.

Yeah... not much help since I get them also. But mines tend to happen because I've bitten myself by accident. When I do get one, I avoid putting pressure on the sore like eating food on the opposite direction of the sore. Eat softer foods until the sore clears (eating something like chips would most likely make it hurt.)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll look into non-foaming toothpaste and see ho that works.

I could try the warm salt water as well, how well exactly did it work?

I think I get mine when I accidentally bite my lip as well (granted I do have sharp teeth); I try to avoid saucy foods, but sometimes the temptation of delicious food is worth the stinging pain.

Anyway, thanks for he advice guys.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I usually get them at the start of a cold. When I had two of my molars extracted a month ago, I ended up with 3-4 canker sores afterward.
It's said that, apart from toothpaste, stress and trauma to the lining of the mouth can cause them. I really don't believe they go away with age or anything like that. They are just more/less recurrent in certain people.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could try the warm salt water as well, how well exactly did it work?

Not sure. Like I said, I think the point of the warm salt water was to keep the canker sore clean for a while so that it can heal faster. It did sort of help though.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am 32 and still get them somewhat regularly. There was a time in my mid 20s when I couldn't remember a time when I did not have at least 1 canker sore. I would suspect that I had a streak of around 10 years with at least one.

Foaming agents in toothpastes can be a major culprit. Closys brand is an example of toothpaste available that does not foam. I highly recommend it to you.
This is the main thing I was going to mention. The specific foaming agent I know to look out for is sodium lauryl sulfate. If the toothpaste has that... stay away.

Also, any kind of trauma to the inside of the cheeks or gums even a small scrape from some sharp food or accidentally biting/bumping teeth against the cheek is almost sure to cause one for me.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it ironic, that this thread is reposted in, and I'm just starting to get another canker sore?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have two of them forming right now. :(

I am having to sleep with a retainer and I think it rubbed the wrong way the other night because I woke up on my face and now canker sores are starting. :(

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I still get them from time to time, usually on my bottom lip or in the corner. The salt water rinse helps if they are inside. The only thing I found that works for the others is Abreva at the very first sign of them. I stay away from the usual culprits like orange juice, tomato sauce, spicy foods and use gentle toothpaste. I was also told that they can happen because of vitamin deficiencies. I did notice a decrease in frequency when I began taking B-12.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sometimes eating a very high salty diet can cause them as well.. all the salt dries out the cells on your tongue.. so if you're totally chowin' down on a bag of potato chips and washing it down with pickles and pretzels, try increasing your water intake -- and holding it in your mouth a moment or two before swallowing each time. I notice that I get them whenever I don't drink enough water and have overindulged in salty foods.

.. I think this is the same thing. Cankers sores are those small, irritated parts of the mouth, usually the tongue, that develop at sporatic times?

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
canker sores =/= cold sores

Canker sores — also called aphthous ulcers, are small, shallow lesions that develop on the soft tissues in your mouth and at the base of your gums.
Unlike cold sores, canker sores don't occur on the surface of your lips and aren't contagious. They can be very painful, however, and can make eating and talking difficult.

Cold sores — also called fever blisters — are fluid-filled lesions caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 infection.
Cold sores are quite different from canker sores, another common condition people sometimes associate with cold sores. Though you can't cure or prevent cold sores, you can take steps to reduce their frequency and to limit the duration of an occurrence.

Abreva treats cold sores. Debacterol treats canker sores.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Sometimes eating a very high salty diet can cause them as well.. all the salt dries out the cells on your tongue.. so if you're totally chowin' down on a bag of potato chips and washing it down with pickles and pretzels, try increasing your water intake -- and holding it in your mouth a moment or two before swallowing each time. I notice that I get them whenever I don't drink enough water and have overindulged in salty foods.

.. I think this is the same thing. Cankers sores are those small, irritated parts of the mouth, usually the tongue, that develop at sporatic times?
I have never had a canker sore on my tongue. I usually get them on the insides of my cheeks or my gums. Every once in a while I will get one in the back of my throat and that is the absolute worst.

Salty foods like what you describe irritate my "geographic tongue." It doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as a canker sore, but it makes for an interesting display on the surface of the tongue.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I tend to get canker sores from too much citrus in my diet and they usually occur on my tongue. I'll get them from truama (usually accidently biting myself) or stress. However, reoccuring canker sores are a suggestion of gluten allergies.