• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cat allergies

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
So I moved into a new condo, and there are two cats (one is a long hair cat). I didn't think it would bother me so much, as long as I didn't pet them or rub my face in places that they had been (I grew up with a cat (though it spent a lot of time outdoors, while these two cats are indoor only)). I'm not quite dying, and it's not constant, but I'm occasionally getting itchy eyes, sneezing, and runny nose.

Was wondering if anyone here has had experience with any OTC drugs that have alleviated symptoms from cat allergies. Antihistamines are said to work pretty well for people with minor cat allergies. Although, don't those make you drowsy?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
zzz....oh, sorry, what?

I take a 24-hour Zyrtec every day since I live with a kitty and am allergic to her. If I forget, the sneezing reminds me.
Some antihistamines are more drowsy making than others. Zyrtec and Claritin are meant to be taken during the day. Benadryl is pretty famous for knocking you out.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Cool. I'll give Zyrtec a shot, and maybe Claritin if need be. Do you experience any side effects?

What are your symptoms before meds? Do you get itchy eyes?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
My dad takes Zirtec all year round and AFAIK experiences no side effects. I occasionally take it during the summer, and I don't recall anything bad about taking them. You should be fine

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've tried nearly ever anti-histamine out there, as I grow immune to them after awhile. The best I've found so far has been Reactine. None of them make me particularly drowsy, so it's hard to comment on how they may affect other people, but I've never had any problems. In general you are best to ask for the no name version of whatever product you would like. It cost a third to half the price.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cat allergies can be particularly severe so anti-histimines might not work. Zyrtek is one of the best ones.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I also take zyrtec when I'm going to a cat house.
works wonders.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think I have severe cat allergies, as I can live in a house with two cats comfortably. Just so long as I'm not rubbing my face, etc. I figure Zyrtec is good for runny nose/sneezing but what about itchy eyes? That's the symptom of cat allergies that bothers me most.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
zyrtec works for everything - for me, at least.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I hear there's an anti-allergy injection you can get once a year for cats, though I'm not entirely sure this isn't an urban myth and I've thus far been too lazy to google it.

rav3n

Of friends who have cat allergies, they either or include taking Claritan or Reactin and daily vacuuming with HEPA filters to reduce dander in the air and on furniture that you come into contact with.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, it's important to damp dust (go over things with a damp cloth rather than a dry one) every couple of days, and keep up with vacuuming.

Itching eyes the Zyrtec should take care of, but if it doesn't fix it completely, Visine makes an allergy formula that works pretty well.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Opcon-A works pretty well for the eyes. These drugs only do so much though. What can happen if you are continually exposed to something that you're allergic to is that you get more and more allergic to it. There are desensitization shots but last time I checked, you had to take them 2 or 3 times a week. Who knows though - there is new stuff coming out all the time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I remember when we first got our dog i took benedryl for a month than all of sudden it cleared up. like i had to get use to a dog, i do have to take benedryl when he sheds alot, but it was really bad when first got him. now I have no problems. maybe you just have to get use to the cats? I don't know I'm probably not being helpful.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Anything with alcohol in it (like those anti acne pads or listerine etc) will help with itchy eyes if it's really bad. You just swipe a bit of it under your eyes. Visine allergy eye drops are also helpful.