• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What to do: Carbs, or skipping meals?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Pretty much everyone's suggested that I go "paleo" and not eat any carbs. However, considering that I'm living in a college dorm with a dining hall, this may lead to me going hungry... a lot.

However, apparently because I'm at risk for becoming diabetic I'm unable to process carbohydrates. Is it better to avoid carbohydrates and skip meals, or eat and possibly become diabetic?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too bad they haven't invented anything like a store where you can buy food. Oh well....

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, eat meals without carbs. Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You generally get used to it within the first 2 weeks. Start off with a limit of 15 grams of carbohydrates per day for 2 weeks then gradually increase the carbohydrate intake by 5 grams per week until you get to around 50 grams + or - 15 depending on the person then stick with it. When you get used to not eating carbs it will become second nature to you to choose the foods you would eat or not and the amounts so you wouldn't go beyond that limit.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haphazard, have you studied what you can eat on a paleo diet? You can eat eggs, meat, fish, chicken, cheese, vegetables, sugar-free Jello ... you can get all that in the dining hall, can't you?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazard, have you studied what you can eat on a paleo diet? You can eat eggs, meat, fish, chicken, cheese, vegetables, sugar-free Jello ... you can get all that in the dining hall, can't you?

Not at every meal.

Most meals I would just be eating a plate of spinach, if that much.

Mostly I'm worried about going back to my <1000 calorie pre-anorexic diet, killing my immune system again, depression...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Add some cheese, cut up vegetables, a hardboiled egg, a handful of nuts, a bit of apple or orange to your spinach, and it's a nice salad...

ETA: get a small refrigerator and a microwave for your dorm room

nanook

a scream in a vortex
brazil nuts, walnuts, salamis, cheese.

i rarely do "meals" myself. i think of a meal as a hot orgy of 3-6 mixed things on a plate.
i do servings, usually cold ones. yes i eat some veggies too. i do low carb (ketogenic), 1000kcal average per day, since 5 months and have lost 42 pounds so far. 16 more to go. it's awesome. not sure, if it has yet increase my insulin sensitivity, though. i "feel" that diet coke might me a problem in that regard.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Only if you're vegan, and even then just barely, and even then there's still lots of carbs.

Even with the risk of diabetes? If carbs are no good to you, I would suppose the school needs to get you food that you can eat. Maybe you need to get some paper from a doctor saying that you need special diet...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Add some cheese, cut up vegetables, a hardboiled egg, a handful of nuts, a bit of apple or orange to your spinach, and it's a nice salad...

I crossed out everything we don't have, and you can't have cheese on a paleo diet. Ain't natural.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I flat-out don't believe that all your "dining hall" serves is spinach and carbs, and furthermore that they forbid you from buying groceries.

Stop whining. You have a brain, use it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I flat-out don't believe that all your "dining hall" serves is spinach and carbs, and furthermore that they forbid you from buying groceries.

Stop whining. You have a brain, use it.

I don't have a brain.

And it's fucking true.

Well, on occasion they have bacon.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
I crossed out everything we don't have, and you can't have cheese on a paleo diet. Ain't natural.

yes but the all natural paradigm should not get in the way of your diabetes/low-carb needs/goal. i also find that natural or raw or paleo is impossible for me, too expensive, to begin with.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
yes but the all natural paradigm should not get in the way of your diabetes/low-carb needs/goal. i also find that natural or raw or paleo is impossible, to expensive to begin with.

I don't know if I'm prediabetic, everyone on the internet just says that I am.

They say this because: 1. I'm fat, 2. I have an extremely mild form of PCOS (so mild that it was only detected by a blood test that was looking for something else) 3. My parents are diabetic

So obviously I must be prediabetic.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I wouldn't be taking medical advice from the internet - no matter how knowledgeable the people giving the advice, they still don't know you in person. Go see a doctor if you're concerned. He/she can give you advice on a suitable diet for your needs.