• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What to do: Carbs, or skipping meals?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have 14 meals a week.

There's some kind of cook smooshy vegetable, some kind of badly-cooked meat, a salad bar which, by the time I get there, often has slim pickings, pizza, and sandwiches. The sort of food that could be low carb, aside from the salad bar, is extremely variable every meal and is sometimes high-carb or sometimes just plain inedible. Fruit is often there but often low (as in barely scrape-up-able from the bottom of the bowl), flavorless, very bruised, etc.

Because of the variation in the hot foods line, it'd be impossible to guarantee any kind of balance to meals. Many times I'd be eating only spinach.

Milk and hot water for tea is available at every meal, but often the mugs are out, which makes brewing tea difficult without scalding yourself. There's soda and fake juice (juice with additives) also, and water. Cereal is always available near the milk, but often certain individual types are out.

I have 14 meals a week, 3 meals are served on week days and 2 on weekends. On weekends I sometimes go out. 2 days a week it's impossible for me to go to dinner in the hall due to classes.

Sweet Jesus. I'm sorry. I mean our cafeteria was similar, but we had FOUR alternative places we could go, the others of which invariably offered much better food.

Damn, I'm really at a loss there. Can anyone else help out here?

How can they expect you guys to think and have good physical and mental health if they are serving you cat shit (probably at silver tray prices)?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Sweet Jesus. I'm sorry. I mean our cafeteria was similar, but we had FOUR alternative places we could go, the others of which invariably offered much better food.

Damn, I'm really at a loss there. Can anyone else help out here?

There are lots of places around campus that I technically could go, but the campus is very large and my dorm is closest to all my classes except for one where the pickings are even slimmer (I still will have to eat there anyway on days I have to get to yoga, though). Rumor has it that my dorm offers the very best dorm food on campus. The other rumored to be good is very far away.

Typically you can find something edible if you're not on any kind of specialized diet.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like I'm going to have to airmail you some REAL food.

Where do you go to uni, anyway, if you don't mind me asking? It had better not be one of those ivy leagues where you pay 60,000 dollars a year to attend. :huh:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Sounds like I'm going to have to airmail you some REAL food.

Where do you go to uni, anyway, if you don't mind me asking? It had better not be one of those ivy leagues where you pay 60,000 dollars a year to attend. :huh:

I'm at a big state university and because of my grades they gave me in-state tuition. I'm not smart enough to go to an Ivy.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm, you said cooking for yourself wasn't an option - what about buying some healthy snacks? Those can be pretty cheap. :) Of course, not as good as organic, but better than nothing. :shrug:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmmm, you said cooking for yourself wasn't an option - what about buying some healthy snacks? Those can be pretty cheap. :) Of course, not as good as organic, but better than nothing. :shrug:

The University is in the middle of a big city so grocery stores are also pretty limited and always very expensive.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The University is in the middle of a big city so grocery stores are also pretty limited and always very expensive.

It sounds like the States doesn't really think ahead, does it? And you probably need a car to get there, with no public transportation.

Jeez this country is headed to hell.

No wonder why I lost so much weight when I came to Germany. You can walk everywhere, take PT without skeezy people being there, there's a good supermarket almost everywhere, and there are so many organic food stores, you wouldn't believe. And our cafeterias are awesome with yummy, yummmy, yummmyyyyyyyyyyy cheap food, but good quality.

Damn, I'm really at a loss, sorry. Come to Germany! I can show you around, and then you can really live and not just SURVIVE.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It sounds like the States doesn't really think ahead, does it? And you probably need a car to get there, with no public transportation.

Jeez this country is headed to hell.

No wonder why I lost so much weight when I came to Germany. You can walk everywhere, take PT without skeezy people being there, there's a good supermarket almost everywhere, and there are so many organic food stores, you wouldn't believe. And our cafeterias are awesome with yummy, yummmy, yummmyyyyyyyyyyy cheap food, but good quality.

Damn, I'm really at a loss, sorry. Come to Germany! I can show you around, and then you can really live and not just SURVIVE.

I could take a bus, the buses here work, but buses cost money.

I realize that to you, the food prices here would be inexpensive (even at the expensive city grocery stores), but realize that college tuition is very expensive and I'm wary of spending money on FOOD when I don't have enough clothes for the winter and there's non-rancid food in the dining hall that I've already paid for.

The bus system is fine, but it costs MONEY. And I am so afraid to spend it on bus fare unless it's absolutely positively necessary.

The idea of there being a "vegetarian" option or a "gluten free" option means that there's only one, which means that you have to have it because there's no other choices, which means that if it's in any way unpalatable for you for other reasons (as in, it has FISH in it, which I can't process), then you're out of luck.

If all I am eating is spinach and turkey for every meal, I will quickly stop eating at all. I lose will. It's so much easier to keep things off your plate that you like than it is to force things down your throat that you can't stand.

There's no variety to a no-xyz diet if you're living in the dining hall, often there is just no choice at all. Why bother eating? Is it more important to eat or to eat well? I've heard that starvation will kill you faster than fat...

By the way: I eat about 1400-1600kcal a day, and I'm about 5-10 lbs overweight according to BMI, but I'm young so that means I'll only get fatter.

I do like it here. I don't want to move to Germany. I have a feeling things would be better if I weren't so terrified of money, and I'm not sure Germans would help with that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That is the true question -- is it more important to eat or to eat healthy.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now that I realize that you have concerns regarding diabetes and are not really on the verge, I wouldn't WORRY SO MUCH!!!!!

Remember: A balanced outside comes from a balanced inside.

5-10 pounds overweight isn't the end of the world. It's the same for me. I'm 30, and I'm losing fat percentage (which I prefer to test rather than weight - my weight fluctuates like crazy, as you have seen in other threads on the topic).

I eat A LOT and often, but good food. I work out 30-60 minutes a day. At least 2-3 liters of water. That's all you need to do.

And if you cannot eat often, like you said, and have really restrictive choices, then for heaven's sake, don't starve. Just drink a lot of water, eat sensibly, work out 3 times a week 30-60 minutes as you can, and that's enough! :)

G

Glycerine

I feel your pain... most of the crap at my college is 20+ grams of fat per serving... :sick: I just go for a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with veggies and honey mustard. I am going to go on a turkey sandwich diet...

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel your pain... most of the crap at my college is 20+ grams of fat per serving... :sick: I just go for a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with veggies and honey mustard. I am going to go on a turkey sandwich diet...

Hmmm this reminds me of the Subway Diet :) it worked for him...but dang I would get sick of eating only Subway real quick.