• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

home remedies for ear infections?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
anyone know of any? I can't afford antibiotics til the middle/end of next week so i need something that will at least keep it from getting worse between now and then. I don't want the infection to spread to my brain personally.

ps. not a hundred percent sure its an ear infection going to student health on tuesday. but my ear hurts whenever i yawn swallow or sigh

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you have an outer ear infection, you can try a solution of vinegar and rubbing alcohol; it works just as well as the stuff you get from the doctor. (You can also put urine in your ear--the acid will kill the bacteria--but that's rather gross.) If it's an inner ear infection, though, I don't think there's much you can do other than wait for it to go away.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, when my son was small and I couldn't get to the doctor right away, I used to wrap up some black pepper in a piece of cloth and place very gently in the ear. Not down in the canal but just in the ear. It would help with the pain until I could get him to a doctor the next day. :shrug:

It was told to me by a friend who was told by ??? and she did it for her son's earaches. It worked pretty well as a temporary thing. Just make sure it can't come out of the wrapping, so tie it up with a twistie tie or something very tightly.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was told by a dr once to eat stuff with tabasco sauce for a ear, nose and throat problems.

If you're not sure if it's an infection, it could be a huge piece of wax stuck in your ear. Have you tried the wax removal solutions? Or irrigating your ear with a syringe? Usually if you do the wax removal stuff first it gets the wax all slippery and then the water irrigation helps it slide out.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Not sure if this will help an ear infection, but I know hydrogen peroxide is safe for the ear... though this may be more for cleaning the ear before you have an ear infection and not after you have one.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Try an antihistamine like Actifed. Pollen count is high in some places and it could be allergies.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was told by a dr once to eat stuff with tabasco sauce for a ear, nose and throat problems.

If you're not sure if it's an infection, it could be a huge piece of wax stuck in your ear. Have you tried the wax removal solutions? Or irrigating your ear with a syringe? Usually if you do the wax removal stuff first it gets the wax all slippery and then the water irrigation helps it slide out.

yeah i cleaned out my ear and it felt better after :doh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Since you're feeling better this will be just general info or something to remember for next time. But I've read that there is a push for doctors to stop prescribing antibiotics at the first signs of an ear infection. Most ear infections self-resolve, and many are viral or yeast-based anyway so antibiotics don't even work on them. (People think they do, because taking the antibiotic coincides with them feeling better, but they don't realize they would have felt better in a few days even without the antibiotic.)

Our pediatrician usually prescribes painkilling drops and an antibiotic to start in a few days if it doesn't go away. If we can't get there right away, we've had really good results with using a little warm olive oil instead. There's a kind of oil you can get from health food stores called garlic mullein oil that works really well, but honestly the olive oil works fine by itself.