• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you phase out smoking marijuana from your life?

Mole

Permabanned
Actually everything in quotes are the results of regular, long time use.

Yeah, I was just reading in the newspaper that a professor at the University of Sydney has found that those who have been smoking marijuana since the age of fourteen are prone to schizophrenia.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Highly intelligent people are prone to schizophrenia as well.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I need to quit fooling around with Miss Mary Jane...

Has anyone had success doing this before?

In the middle of it now, i havent smoked in over a few months.

1. tell everyone you need to pass a piss test. That gives u a month free off the bat, the hardest month.

2. focus your mind and priorities on other things.

3. once you have enough will power, just start telling your friends that you are over that, that you dont need it anymore and that its a personal choice and dont look down on them for it.

Most of the time I find the only thing that will get me to smoke again is if i am around people who smoke. if you can handle that the rest should be ok.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
1. tell everyone you need to pass a piss test. That gives u a month free off the bat, the hardest month.
QUOTE]

This is where I will start. However I do have half a dookey stick to finish when I get home... :):smile:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I love to smoke herb its a great drug but can see that a lot of people need to take a break from it at least every now and then.

Best way:
Get a new girlfriend/boyfriend who doesn't smoke (or even better is anti pot). My new girlfriend doesn't smoke pot (and because of the nature of her job I don't want to get her started) and even though she is OK with me seshing out I don't smoke it as much of recent because it feels a bit awkward being around one person for extended periods of time who isn't stoned when you are stoned; especially when the relationship is new and you are really into them.

Also I have never done this before but one could imagine that a bet with a person who wants you to stop for a considerable amount of money that incorporates drug testing (with cash in honest third party/escrow holder/judge of contest).

Also doing this keep yourself busy preferably with an intense and rewarding life challenge that needs all of your attention.

Or

Take up hard drugs. Most Meth/Coke/Heroin heads are not into smoking pot that much anymore. ;)

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
In the words of a good friend of mine...
"I've had a much worse time coming off of caffeine than when I went from 1-2g of weed a day all year to not smoking at all abruptly."
(This individual is a pure math major at a fairly well known college, BTW, and one of the most intelligent people I've ever known... So much for the typical stoner ethos.)

IMO, smoking weed habitually is a waste of money and time.
I find the effects far more profound and enjoyable when completely lacking tolerance.
If you're quitting because you need to, because you're at risk of losing your job or something of that nature, then it probably is worth quitting completely. Ditto goes for if you just feel that it is somehow holding you back in an easily quantifiable way. Because weed lacks any serious negative affects, it's very hard to say when one can even be considered to be abusing it. I'd say, if it seriously impacts your motivation to do other things, then it's a problem.
Otherwise, lacking the two above conditions, there's no particularly compelling reason(s) to abstain totally, if it's something you genuinely enjoy doing.
Moderation...

And as stated by others in this thread, if your friends really give you bunk for quitting or drawing down, you probably have some serious thinking to do about the people you choose to associate with.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Is pressure on their end a real serious concern? if your friends aren't actually capable of being supportive of your decision, then you should really reconsider how good of friends they are...but even if they are, i might still find a different circle of friends to spend time with. you don't have to necessarily not be friends with them anymore, but having people to spend time with who don't toke up can be really helpful, as it sometimes does get tempting even without pressure from others especially in the beginning.

like others i just stopped cold turkey. I sold or gave my friends all of my pipes and stuff and just went along my business. That's all that was really required, though i was only stopping temporarily for a couple years, so if you are trying to quit permanently and/or have a very serious need to do so I'd suggest looking into some of the things kyuuei posted.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
In the words of a good friend of mine...
"I've had a much worse time coming off of caffeine than when I went from 1-2g of weed a day all year to not smoking at all abruptly."
(This individual is a pure math major at a fairly well known college, BTW, and one of the most intelligent people I've ever known... So much for the typical stoner ethos.)

IMO, smoking weed habitually is a waste of money and time.
I find the effects far more profound and enjoyable when completely lacking tolerance.
If you're quitting because you need to, because you're at risk of losing your job or something of that nature, then it probably is worth quitting completely. Ditto goes for if you just feel that it is somehow holding you back in an easily quantifiable way. Because weed lacks any serious negative affects, it's very hard to say when one can even be considered to be abusing it. I'd say, if it seriously impacts your motivation to do other things, then it's a problem.
Otherwise, lacking the two above conditions, there's no particularly compelling reason(s) to abstain totally, if it's something you genuinely enjoy doing.
Moderation...

And as stated by others in this thread, if your friends really give you bunk for quitting or drawing down, you probably have some serious thinking to do about the people you choose to associate with.

I was smoking up to an ounce of high-grade to my own head every 2 weeks, i wasnt paying for it, i wasnt even getting high anymore I dont think. My tolerance was insane. Then the panic attacks came from left field and I was like, I need to make some changes here lol...

I think the non-threatening nature of weed is how it sucks you in... its like, i dont have a problem i can quit any time i want! then trying to and every time something shitty happens, like the mail is late or something is hard, its like, fuck i need to smoke! hell to the no its not that harmless. Granted thats not the weed making me say that, its the way I programmed myself for years with weed when i wanted to relax. But still... it has potential for abuse.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
It all depends on what environment it is passed on from and what habbits you endulge yourself with. I smoke it a couple of times a year. And I've passed on my healthy relationship with pot on to my brother, so we only smoke together me and him, never with anyone else.

Afkan

Highly intelligent people are prone to schizophrenia as well.

Not anymore than anyone else. Do you have research to support this? All research I've seen supports that schizophrenia correlates to the general population & IQ similarly to the Bell Curve.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
the thing is you're quitting cause you have to not because you want to

I think if you wanted to then it would be easy you would do it no problem

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, dope is hope, for some.
It is also:

Problems with memory and learning
Distorted perception
Difficulty with thinking and problem solving
Loss of coordination
Increased heart rate
Anxiety, paranoia and panic attacks

Oh & don't forget, hormones ---> screwy

"...marijuana ... In men it decreases the level of testosterone. This could sometimes lead to the enlarging of breasts."

"Marijuana has the opposite effect on the female hormonal system....increases [testosterone] in women."

"..marijuana also has an adverse affect on the sperm in a man. Usage of this drug can lead to a low sperm count and an increase in the number of immature and abnormal sperm that is produced. Today marijuana is one of the main causes of infertility in males....Marijuana can also play havoc with the female reproductive system. "

AHAHAHAHAA

nice anti pot propaganda site

Last edited by a moderator:

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
1. Stop smoking.
2. Stop being around people when they smoke.
3. Stop hanging out with people that smoke.
4. Delete contact information of people that smoke or offer it.
5. Get therapy.
6. Keep yourself busy.

This is the cliffnotes version of what my friend did.

Good advice, particularly the bolds.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
I need to quit fooling around with Miss Mary Jane...

Has anyone had success doing this before?

you need a whole lifestyle change. new friends, new out look, new ways to spend your time, new routines, etc.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Age should do the trick.

I always feel bad for the folks that need to pay for something I can get for free. Learn to meditate, learn to do yoga, learn to take yourself other places at will, internally. I would have slapped me in the face 10 years ago for saying this but drugs are like using crutches then you want to have strong legs, they stunt you from being able to attain the same things without them.