• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I found something so mind-numbingly stupid that I thought I should share.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Dieting Debate: 'I'm This Size Because I Dieted'

Soon, the debate moved into mental health. In America, about 10 million women and one million men suffer from eating disorders. With issues like low self esteem on the table, the panelists were then asked if Americans, particularly children, where too fixated on the issue of size versus health.

"I think the most important thing that we can give to a child is a love for the body," said Roth, "and having cake and ice cream at someone's birthday party isn't why Americans [are] fat. It's acting like every day is somebody's birthday party is why America is fat.

"Food is a pleasurable thing," said Renn. "It can be a pleasurable thing in moderation. I absolutely believe there is nothing wrong with celebrating a birthday with something pleasurable such as food."

But Roth wasn't finished. "We've gotten ourselves to the point where we're behaviorally and neurochemically dependent upon food," she said. "[It's] fine to have birthday party food at a birthday party. But we say, 'Oh, you had a good day, here's cake, you had a bad here's cake, you got a promotion, here's cake.'"

Emphasis mine. Full article can be found here --> Weight Debate: Is it OK to Be Fat? - ABC News

I first heard the emphasized portion out of context, and now seeing it in context it only seems marginally less stupid. I don't know about you, but I'd kind of like to have food both on my good days and bad days. How about you?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Using a substance for both celebration and for consolation is an indicator of addiction.
I used to smoke. About 3/4 pack per day. I couldn't quit until I realized that I smoked when I was happy, when I was sad, hungry, angry, satisfied, anxious, fulfilled... it really didn't matter what triggered it, because everything triggered it. I just wanted to feel better.
Many people have this same relationship to food. And rich, inexpensive food is everywhere.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The wording is stupid, I agree. Of course we are dependent on food....we need it to live. However, the context is referring to emotional dependency. Emotional eating can be unhealthy because it leads to using food to quell emotion instead of learning to deal with it yourself. It serves as a self-medicating of sorts.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can only have cake on ye birthday, miss!!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Using a substance for both celebration and for consolation is an indicator of addiction.
I used to smoke. About 3/4 pack per day. I couldn't quit until I realized that I smoked when I was happy, when I was sad, hungry, angry, satisfied, anxious, fulfilled... it really didn't matter what triggered it, because everything triggered it. I just wanted to feel better.
Many people have this same relationship to food. And rich, inexpensive food is everywhere.

So I can't eat on days when I'm happy AND days when I'm sad? I have to choose? :cry:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
So I can't eat on days when I'm happy AND days when I'm sad? I have to choose? :cry:

Of course not. I don't think that's what the article implies either.
Some people drink a glass or two of beer every day. Some people get drunk every day. What's the difference?
:shrug:(<-not sure what this means)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Of course not. I don't think that's what the article implies either.
Some people drink a glass or two of beer every day. Some people get drunk every day. What's the difference?
:shrug:(<-not sure what this means)

I do not think a glass of beer or two is necessarily enough to make someone drunk.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Good post! Have some cake!

I think the article points out something pretty smart, actually.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Good post! Have some cake!

I think the article points out something pretty smart, actually.

Eh, I'm not one for cake. My cardinal sins are red meat, white bread, and froufy girly drinks.

I don't think it's really that simple. Happy things require cake, sad things require ice cream, because ice cream is symbolic of the COLD SAD WORLD you inhabit.

Then again, this would be the same as "malboros when you're happy, copenhagen when you're sad", lol.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
wow, I had ice cream just because there was a new ice cream shop around and I wanted to try it. I must have a food addiction...

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
wow, I had ice cream just because there was a new ice cream shop around and I wanted to try it. I must have a food addiction...

Just look out for that dihydrogen monoxide, once you get started on that shit there's no going back.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
The wording is stupid, I agree. Of course we are dependent on food....we need it to live. However, the context is referring to emotional dependency. Emotional eating can be unhealthy because it leads to using food to quell emotion instead of learning to deal with it yourself. It serves as a self-medicating of sorts.

this.

I have a close family member that uses food/eating as a drug of sorts. its one thing to eat to survive or to enjoy it as a daily activity, but its another thing to use food to get by in life. There's a difference.

here, maybe a song will help you naysayers:

[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtpXvzzXiA]uh huh[/YOUTUBE]

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So what are you supposed to do, then? Stop eating? Because that seems like a wonderful idea.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
No. Not using food as a reinforcer for what you do in life is the solution.

but i'm sure you know what a reinforcer is, since you're a fuckin' psych PHd and all, right?

FYI captain naysayer: consumption of food illicits neuron firing in the same pleasure/reward portions of your inner brain that drugs like cocain and heroin do. Just some food for whatever passes as thought in your system ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
No. Not using food as a reinforcer for what you do in life is the solution.

but i'm sure you know what a reinforcer is, since you're a fuckin' psych PHd and all, right?

So you're saying everyone in the United States is addicted to food? Makes perfect sense.

FYI captain naysayer: consumption of food illicits neuron firing in the same pleasure/reward portions of your inner brain that drugs like cocain and heroin do. Just some food for whatever passes as thought in your system ;)

So do women and money, but those are bad too, so...

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
So you're saying everyone in the United States is addicted to food? Makes perfect sense.

uhhmmm.... if that's what you think I'm saying there, you should try to improve your verbal comprehension skills. That or take a class on logic and how inductive inferencing works. In the meantime, stop being such a jerk about an issue a lot of loved ones go through. Please?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
uhhmmm.... if that's what you think I'm saying there, you should try to improve your verbal comprehension skills. That or take a class on logic and how inductive inferencing works. In the meantime, stop being such a jerk about an issue a lot of loved ones go through. Please?

Some of us is not all of us, the original article implicated every single person in the United States, unless we can assume that the person who said this is discussing her own issues...

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
oh ok... so because the original article said it, I'm saying it too? :p

I'm just trying to clarify what is obviously retarded wording in the original article.

did you join the debate team at your University or something?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
oh ok... so because the original article said it, I'm saying it too? :p

I'm just trying to clarify what is obviously retarded wording in the original article.

did you join the debate team at your University or something?

No.