• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pap Smear

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never recall them being delightful experiences, but yesterday when I got one done, it hurt so bad I had to use every ounce of my will power to stay put -even though I was already climbing the exam table and cursing under my breath (I did do one really loud "F*****' A!", but my INTP doctor didn't seem to care. She's pretty chill and just said, "I know it hurts! Gimme a countdown! 20 seconds! Breathe!")

I had not had one of these tests done in 12 years, so I was long over due. I even showed up ten minutes late to my appointment due to traffic, but my doctor knew it was a big deal, and said "If you're brave enough to do it today, we're so doing it!"

It was like having a knife shoved up inside my body. I swear to you - because I have a pain disorder, I can tolerate a LOT of pain and discomfort, but this mess HURT. And it wasn't even a metal speculum. Does anybody else find pap smears so painful?

The only thing that even remotely made up for that was having cowboy movies on tv when I got home. (Yay, 3:10 to Yuma! Yay, Tombstone!)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've not had one that painful. They are always unpleasant and a bit crampy feeling, but that sounds horrible. I'm sorry it hurt so much. You did good being brave.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know what else hurts? Cervical cancer.

Yeah, I went there.

Oh SNAP. *pokes your knee with a fork under the table*

I've not had one that painful. They are always unpleasant and a bit crampy feeling, but that sounds horrible. I'm sorry it hurt so much. You did good being brave.

Do you think they hurt less if you've had babies already? I dunno - I had one male gynecologist who did it and I hardly knew he was there. But that was the only time it didn't hurt like the devil.

And for the record, those disposable plastic speculums? Epic fail! They hurt just as bad as the metal ones!

I have to say, the idea that it hurt so much really depressed me for some reason.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it doesnt hurt for me...its just awkward and uncomfortable (im not a loose hoe either lol). maybe you just need to relax? Or get a new OBGYN :).

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Relax?! I don't "relax"! I'm light as a feather and stiff as a board! I can fly! WHAT?! lol

I'm not very good at relaxing. (epic fail) :(

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
trust, just try and relax next time...think happy thoughts and breath :). Its hard being girl huh! dangit...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Happy thoughts. Ok.

*imagines a million dollars sprinkling on my half-naked person while puppies and Gucci shoes come flying out of the walls*

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
I'm starting to wonder if it gets more painful each time I go? :laugh: Weird, I know, but my last exam had me gripping the sides of the bench and cursing very loudly. I don't remember my earlier ones being like that at all. :/

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:shock: I always hear about them being painful, but nothing about any of my gyno experiences has been painful.
A few slight "wtf?" moments and odd feelings, but nothing that's left me mentally scarred or in pain.

:hug: I'm sorry for your vaginal terrors.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
pap smears have always tickled to me... I usually get very odd looks from new OB/GYNs when I start giggling madly while they're busy speculum weilding :blush:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had one back when I was a teenager that hurt so much I was literally crawling away from the doctor. She had to winch my legs apart. lol It's easy enough in theory, but in practice, it's an entirely different matter.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I was squirming a little when Jaye was explaining this procedure to me (in great detail). I'm happy being a guy, yes, quite happy.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
No they never hurt for me. Sorry to hear that it does for you.

I had one male doctor that was alittle rough (even with the breast exam) and that was the last visit. I found myself another doctor.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beat, I could hear your brain screaming hundreds of miles away. lol

*tickles Whatever's cervix* Yes, I did just do that.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anybody else find pap smears so painful?
Yeah. :( Maybe not as much as you but bad enough. But the first one was the worst because I was so surprised, I was expecting it to just be awkward and uncomfortable since sex never hurt. But it was this awful stabbing pain that just went on for the whole time, I felt like I was being torn apart. Blegh. The next one was a lot better for whatever reason.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Each visit they ask you about your sexual partners. One visit I told my Ob-Gyn I was sexually active. After the exam we are in her office where she is writing my scripts and on the way out she goes, "Good luck with that guy!" I tell her, "Oh. That's just sex." She doesn't miss a beat, nods her head knowingly and says, "Hey. A girl's gotta eat." She's great.

Anyway. No real pain for me. More so discomfort.