• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

quitting cold turkey

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Do yo still smoke the electric cigs? What about the nicotine addition?

I do, and I'm still addicted to nicotine. But nicotine isn't carcinogenic on its own, and most problems with smoking come from the smoke and tar. Electric cigs just use vapor.

F

figsfiggyfigs

the most efficacious behavior modification models for changing drug consumption habits have to do with changing the environment you're in. In extreme cases, people that are addicted need to completely avoid the places and even the PEOPLE with which the drug has been linked in the past. If you have also used smoking as a means of reducing stress in social settings or work or whatever, you'll need to find another way to alleviate that stress or any amount of stress will illicit the craving.

if you really want to quit and patches/cognitive changes aren't working, i'd move into a new place that in NO WAY resembles the environments in which you have smoked- your home. It may seem drastic, but the environment you're in can illicit changes in your brain (the brain actively prepares itself for a drug depending upon the environment youre in, such as a familar bar/tavern) in preparation for said drug. when the drug doesn't come in that environment, that's when withdrawal sets in and then of course the behavior of drug consumption. No amount of discipline or willpower will (directly) alter the well-established mechanisms and responses going on in your brain, so don't beat yourself up over that if it doesn't work.

Change your latitude, bra!

Great advice! :)

I stopped hanging out with the people that were usually around me when I smoked, stopped going to places where social smoking was a common thing. That TRULY helped.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just quit when I got sick once. It's easy not to smoke when you can barely breathe properly.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ok so here's why i can't do the patch/gum after the packs i have our done i don't have a penny to spend on anything accept food and that's iffy at best (i have food at home not what i want but i'm not going to starve is my point) so I can't afford the patch or the gum. I'm not saying this to be oh poor me feel sorry for me i'm saying this cuz its the fact. I've survived 3 weeks with 15 dollars in my bank account and a week with .36 cents in it so i know i can survive again.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is really hard i had to take a maintence puff i'd distract my self but theirs nothing to do, i tried sleeping can't fucking sleep so now i'm like damnit cuz how am i going to quit if i keep having to take maintence puffs? 3 hours between cigarettes is not getting easier I don't know why, maybe i have some genetic predispostion to extreme addiction.

oxyjen

MBTI Type
INtP
You could try looking to see if your state has a sponsored quitting program (google "quitline" and your state). They actually provided free nicotine patches or gum....although this was a couple of years ago when the state budget didn't have such a crushing deficit.

You can get through it though. Remember that the first days are the worst, and that you feel this shitty and irritable because of the cigarettes. Good luck.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I quit about nine months ago. I found puffing on cinnamon sticks really help with the hand to mouth cessation. The cinnamon spiciness also made my lips/tongue tingle a little bit, kinda like cloves.

Of course - each time I go to the gym and swim for 20 minutes, imagining how much faster I'd be out of breath is always great incentive for not going back to smoking.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
day one of the patch, I smoked 3 cigs total each time smoking got more unpleasant to the point of i can't finish cigarrette this is a good sign.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
day 2, don't want to kill anyone for cigarette and gave the rest of my pack away. smoked a hand rolled one but desired no more after that. coughing like a bitch though all day was up til 3 coughing. depressed and feeled like i've failed at everything.

F

figsfiggyfigs

FUCK.

I had a dream about wanting to take a cigarette yesterday, I almost did. I woke up with the urge to smoke this morning.
I have a feeling it's because of this thread. :laugh:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Have you still stopped?

I stopped for 23 days recently and was taking tablets called Champix .. I started getting depressed and having suicidal thoughts so stopped, then was given the nicorette inhaler which was awful when you inhaled .. I'm smoking now :cry:
My fag lady is going to be pissed, lol.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yup and part of it is i can't afford to buy any so thats an incentive to not smoke. I don't think I'm gonna make i'm tempted to find 4 bucks in coins and go buy the shittiest tobacco ever.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
well i didn't smoke a whole cigarette so maybe if i don't smoke again i'll be good.

LucrativeSid

Cold turkey is the only method I've ever bothered with. For me, it's always easy at first. I just throw away all my lighters and ash trays. Avoid going to places that sell cigarettes. I brush my teeth at work on my break instead of smoking. Most importantly, I just stop thinking about it! You'll want to sit there and obsess about not being able to smoke, but don't. After a week, it will seem like you were never a smoker at all. Seriously, the only thing dumber than smoking is thinking about smoking when you're not even smoking!

I've never quit for more than 9 months, (it's been a month since I've smoked now), but I think that's another issue. For me, the first few days are pretty easy. My will power is strong when I'm using it. I just change my mind a lot. Six months from now I might be in a depression and I might start doing all kinds of negative things, not because I lack self-control, but because my depressed self has completely different needs and desires. My depressed self would enjoy the smoking fully and only laugh at the negative effects. I still have plenty of self control when I'm depressed, but perhaps less self. I'm only now getting to be more consistent instead of always bouncing back and forth, and I've still got a long way to go.

Don't be like me. But do quit without looking back.