• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

White spots on nails.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I've had white spots on my nails for about seven years now. They say that a zinc deficiency is possible (I stay away from seafood, had enough of it as a kid). That it may cause my fucked up eyesight, my decreased memory, that I never feel hungry, and why I can't gain weight.

Anyone has any insight on this?

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I've had it for about seven years. That's a long temporary.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I have white spots on my nails as well. Never really asked about them

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I never really bothered asking either, but now I'm a bit curious.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I used to have them, but I think the cause was just getting scuffs on my nail close to the skin, where it was growing out... Creates a small area of dead cells?

Looks like that wiki article says the same thing.
"The most common cause is injury to the base of the nail (the matrix) where the nail is formed."

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I've read that it's one of the possible marks of Vitamin D deficiency. Given that you live in Tromsoe, it might make sense. Did you get them when (if) you lived abroad, too? (Supposedly, in a place where sunlight is stronger than Tromsoe)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I remember being told it meant I was telling lies as a kid. It's awesome how ignorance can warp vitamin deficiency into a mild form of child abuse!

Seven years is a long time to have that going on, bro, seriously. I would think that would only occur briefly after a period of illness or something, so you might want to get that checked out. I echo the people who are suggesting you take a vitamin supplement, since your lack of hunger may be keeping you from eating a balanced diet.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I used to have them, but I think the cause was just getting scuffs on my nail close to the skin, where it was growing out... Creates a small area of dead cells?

Looks like that wiki article says the same thing.
"The most common cause is injury to the base of the nail (the matrix) where the nail is formed."

On two nails it is close to the skin. One three other nails it is not (close to the tip). No dead skin.

I've read that it's one of the possible marks of Vitamin D deficiency. Given that you live in Tromsoe, it might make sense. Did you get them when (if) you lived abroad, too? (Supposedly, in a place where sunlight is stronger than Tromsoe)

That - I can't remember. I lived for six months in Greece, but at the time I didn't really pay much attention to it. So I can't tell. I don't get much sun though.

I remember being told it meant I was telling lies as a kid. It's awesome how ignorance can warp vitamin deficiency into a mild form of child abuse!

Seven years is a long time to have that going on, bro, seriously. I would think that would only occur briefly after a period of illness or something, so you might want to get that checked out. I echo the people who are suggesting you take a vitamin supplement, since your lack of hunger may be keeping you from eating a balanced diet.

Mental abuse is just as bad as physical abuse in my opinion. I try sometimes, to eat vitamin supplements, but I don't really feel any different after about a month taking them, so I stop.

It's not like it's on all my nails though. It's on five nails total, three of which I can hardly see.
It doesn't really worry me, but it's always nice to get more knowledge about oneself.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
When I was little I was told it was because I did not drink enough milk o_O

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I've been drinking milk like a nutjob since I was a kid. In fact, it was not untill just recently (2 weeks ago) I stopped drinking so much milk/chocolate milk/ice coffee, and began drinking orange/pineapple juice instead. I feel more hungry now because of that.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I get them frequently... Are you sure it's the same white spots for the past seven years?

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
That - I'm not sure of. I have a very bad memory. But I think it moves from place to place, nail to nail.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It seems like I always have at least one nail with one of these spots on it. I'm accident prone and always smashing a finger or hitting my hand on something... I know if I accidentally bend a nail backward (painful!!!!) and then bend it back into place I have a white spot all the way across my nail...