• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fun ways to burn calories

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Going to the gym is boring to me.

Anyone have any tips on fun ways to burn calories?
-Dancing
-Sex
-Horsing around with little kids (hopefully in a way not related to either option listed so far)
-Nature hiking
-Rock climbing (I think there's an indoor rock climbing place around Stewart & Denny, you could check it out).
-Martial arts (definitely check out Krav Maga, there's a training place in Bellevue on NE 20th St between 132nd and 136th -- I used to pass by it on my way to work).

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I second the dancing suggestion. My favorite thing and I find it easiest to stick to because changing the music/tempo lends variety, keeps it fresh.

Also, I lost a bunch of weight learning bellydancing techniques. I didn't go to a class, I just got a couple of books and got some sexy Middle Eastern choons. Since I did it at my own pace in my own living room, I just had so much fun with it. You should try! :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Try enough sports until you find one you like. If none of your friends are active at all, there should be many clubs in your city who accept individual players - which can also be a way to meet new people.

My favourites are soccer, volleyball (which isn't super active, but maybe better than walking and awesome) and squash.

others:

recreational cycling clubs
swimming
tennis
badminton
basketball
dancing
martial arts
hiking
pilates/yoga/fitness classes
jogging :)sick: but I guess it can be good for you)

I feel you though, I've literally never been to a gym even though I had free membership in undergrad....the thought of staring into space doing the same thing over and over again...bleh. I should probably work out with some free weights at home though so I'm not so pathetically weak, lol.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^I realllly want to join a badminton team, as nerdy as that sounds badminton is the sh*t!

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Good suggestions so far.

Did you catch the thread about Zumba? I just started going to a Zumba class and I've never had so much fun working so hard. I definitely recommend it if dancing at all appeals to you.

Here's a great article about fun and physical activity, including examples of fun activity from the author and her readers (the rest of this site is awesome too; definitely worth checking out if you want fitness info):
The Play`s the Thing

If you still plan on going to the gym, there are ways to make it less tedious. Listening to music that makes you want to move can really make time in the gym go faster. If you do classes, the instructor can make all the difference. I know an instructor that makes step aerobics fun and engaging. With a different instructor, they're often a drag. And if you're doing a lot of time on cardio machines, I've found doing intense and gentle intervals makes the time go faster than just going at the same pace for twenty or thirty minutes.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Celery eating
The calories burnt from you eating the celery is more than the calories in the celery itself.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Celery eating
The calories burnt from you eating the celery is more than the calories in the celery itself.

I don't think this works if you eat celery the way I like to eat celery: stuffed with peanut butter and raisins.

Ingrid in grids

Sparrow, you're arty right? Start a really physical piece. Whether I'm pissed off, or just full of energy, something big and gutsy done in charcoal or pastel usually tires me out.
Invite friends over to collaborate and it's even more fun!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
some of these were already mentioned, but....

- sex (of course! :holy:)
- run your errands by bicycle instead of car... or walk... either is good for you and fun!
- raquetball... I LOVED playing raquetball :wubbie:
- hiking/climbing rocks... nature is a nice thing :yes:
- play isn't just for kids... adults can play as well (including my sis and I chasing one another around the house and yard shreiking and laughing... last year :blush:)
- shopping... if it's not exercize I have to wonder why it wears me out more than a vicious game of raquetball :dry:
- climbing trees
- jumping rope while watching tv in the evening
- I would suggest boxing, but probably not for anyone who bruises easily :laugh:
- capoeira (sp? :huh:)

for a few different things... and you're right, badmiton rocks! :rock:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think this works if you eat celery the way I like to eat celery: stuffed with peanut butter and raisins.
Ah, that's food gone bonkers. I wouldn't be able to get myself to have a taste.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Dancing... hip hop!!!! Country line dancing!!!!
You'll have so much fun that you won't even think that it's exercising... and you'll wonder how it is that you've gotten sweaty!!!

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
Sex, lifting weights, and dancing to techno music. Not necessarily in that order. Although they can be combined into a raunchy fun session, unless the girl is just too heavy