• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Walking!!!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Because there's no other exercise I can do without causing extreme pain or blackouts, then walking I shall do.

Goal: across this great country 10 miles

Current fitness: 5 miles (sort of)

Today: 3.6 miles, unfortunately. I went the hillier way and then I started to get nauseated so perhaps it was time to stop. Maybe it was a bad idea to walk in the heat of the day. :/

I'll probably do the rest later, when it's not so hot.

Ingrid in grids

Nice work!

I love walking, particularly when I can escape out of the city and out into the bush somewhere.

Do you take a pedometer? If so, aim for 10,000 steps. I'm not sure how that works out in miles, but I think you're on your way! :)

Just curious, why were you getting blackouts? I used to get blackouts when I exercised and it was because of extremely low iron/ferritin (it was 4 and it should be 30-150).

Good luck with your program!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know why I get black outs, I think it's a combination of dehydration and low blood pressure (I get healthy readings at the doctor's but that's when I'm intensely nervous). It's mostly in exercises with a lot of stretching and weird positions and stuff, like yoga and pilates, which is why I get so annoyed when people recommend them to me. They say it because they think it's easy, it's not easy when your vision is always fading!

I live in the suburbs so there's a lot of space to walk, and often people put out their sprinklers to run through :D

I don't have a pedometer but I looked it up, 10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles, thought it might be more steps for me because I have short legs. So the 5 miles fulfills that requirements, and then there's everything else I do, which includes a lot of pacing, so...

Anyway. I did my remaining 1.4 miles with my brother. He has a longer stride than me but I still managed to keep up.

P

Phantonym

Walking = :happy:

Nice work, indeed! Don't try to force it too much, any exercise is good exercise, so it's best you try to enjoy it as much as possible. If you don't feel like reaching your full walking goal for the day on one day, you can always do some extra on the next day when you feel better. No point in beating yourself up for not reaching the goal, because you actually did get up and do some exercise, so it's all good. :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Five miles is really difficult, I wouldn't want to torture myself right now with doing more than that if I miss a day.

P

Phantonym

Five miles is really difficult, I wouldn't want to torture myself right now with doing more than that if I miss a day.

I meant more like...oh, I did 3.6 miles today, that's ok, maybe I can do some more tomorrow. The next day: oh, I reached 3.7 miles today. Woohoo!!! :banana:

Torturing yourself with exercise or negative thoughts about exercising definitely doesn't make things enjoyable, so what helps me, at least, is to try to find something positive in the little accomplishments. They get bigger as the time passes. :)

R

Riva

I could remember once we went on a trip and we walked and walked and walked. And I managed to lose almost 3 kgs. But back then I wanted to gain weight not lose. ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The original plan was to download War and Peace on free audio book, turn it on and just stop when it's over.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
You should really get that blacking out think checked out. That's not really supposed to happen. :/

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I meant more like...oh, I did 3.6 miles today, that's ok, maybe I can do some more tomorrow. The next day: oh, I reached 3.7 miles today. Woohoo!!! :banana:

Torturing yourself with exercise or negative thoughts about exercising definitely doesn't make things enjoyable, so what helps me, at least, is to try to find something positive in the little accomplishments. They get bigger as the time passes. :)

The problem is the terrain.

3.6 miles is 1 hour. 5 miles is an hour and forty minutes. After the 3.6 miles it's uphill both ways.

I was just at the doctor and am still very sore from it, I don't plan on going back!

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i miss living in a city where you can just walk anywhere.
tremendously. i could walk in the most inappropriate pair of shoes.

i can't seem to walk as a form of exercise though. i just end up running.
but if i remember, i'll slow down, and do a brisk walk.

i'm gadget/toy oriented. nike plus may be the coolest thing ever
when out running and walking.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
i miss living in a city where you can just walk anywhere.
tremendously. i could walk in the most inappropriate pair of shoes.

i can't seem to walk as a form of exercise though. i just end up running.
but if i remember, i'll slow down, and do a brisk walk.

i'm gadget/toy oriented. nike plus may be the coolest thing ever
when out running and walking.

When I lived in the city, I used to walk for miles an end. On the weekends, I would wonder into the centre of the city and do a little shopping. The round trip used to take about 4 or 5 hours, so I guess I must have covered 10 or 12 miles, easily enough. I never even used to buy that much. It was just an excuse to get out of the house for awhile and see the world. Give the inferior a little stimulation. It was either that or sit around eating cheese cake.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
When I lived in the city, I used to walk for miles an end. On the weekends, I would wonder into the centre of the city and do a little shopping. The round trip used to take about 4 or 5 hours, so I guess I must have covered 10 or 12 miles, easily enough. I never even used to buy that much. It was just an excuse to get out of the house for awhile and see the world. Give the inferior a little stimulation. It was either that or sit around eating cheese cake.

i know what you mean. say what you will about manhattan,
but man. i could walk all day there. just keep on walking.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I used to walk 12 miles an evening (or day if it was cool outside and I wasn't working).

The key is to be in a stimulating environment and to have good music.

Of course, you want to be in a safe environment as well!

Walking's awesome. I always walk.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Only 2.2 miles today.

I got home late because I went to see a movie and my left arm is painfully numb. I know I shouldn't be making excuses but that's mine.

/DG/

Are you also dizzy or have a headache? If you consistently have the symptoms you have been describing, you really need to see a doctor.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Are you also dizzy or have a headache? If you consistently have the symptoms you have been describing, you really need to see a doctor.

Umm, a little? It's mostly the arm. I had a tetanus shot a few days ago.

/DG/

Okay, well I guess the shot might explain a painful arm.

But if you always get dizzy or very tired when exercising (not pushing yourself) you could have low iron or some other condition. A doctor may help you to feel better by giving you supplements or something.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, well I guess the shot might explain a painful arm.

But if you always get dizzy or very tired when exercising (not pushing yourself) you could have low iron or some other condition. A doctor may help you to feel better by giving you supplements or something.

I don't have low iron, it was checked a few days ago.

The injection site doesn't hurt, just... the whole ulnar nerve thing.

Mole

Permabanned
The only thing nicer than walking is walking with two trekking poles, or two hiking poles.

Walking with trekking poles exercises the whole body, not just the legs. And trekking poles keep you steady on your feet.

And there are two parts to regular exercise and that is the exercise and the recovery.

Normally we focus on the exercise and neglect the recovery. However it is in the recovery period that we reap the physical benefits of the exercise.

So I exercise one day and recover the next and so on day after day.

And the recovery is also important psychologically because it allows us to approach our next day of exercise fresh and relaxed and ready to go.