• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Walking!!!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't have low iron, it was checked a few days ago.

The injection site doesn't hurt, just... the whole ulnar nerve thing.

Oh, well it's good you got that checked. I'm no doctor anyway.

Happy walking, I guess!

/DG/

According to random Google searches, it seems a bit low.

Adult males: 75-175 micrograms/dL
Adult females: 65-165 micrograms/dL
Children: 50-120 micrograms/dL
Newborns: 100-250 micrograms/dL.

A low count of red blood cells could also make someone dizzy.

/DG/

I think you'd be dead if it were red blood cells...
The ranges for a normal RBC count (expressed in million red cells per microliter {uL} of blood) are:

Women: 4.2 to 5.4 million/uL
Men: 4.7 to 6.1 million/uL
Children: 4.6 to 4.8 million/uL

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think you'd be dead if it were red blood cells...

The paper says "hematocrit" and it says 44, and that it should be no less than 35. I really have no idea what "hematocrit" is but mine is okay, or something.

/DG/

Ahhh... then it must be a percentage. It seems to be a broad measurement of a few things...

Wikipedia said:
The hematocrit (Ht or HCT) or packed cell volume (PCV) or erythrocyte volume fraction (EVF) is the proportion of blood volume that is occupied by red blood cells. It is normally about 48% for men and 38% for women. It is considered an integral part of a person's complete blood count results, along with hemoglobin concentration, white blood cell count, and platelet count.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
3.6 miles today, so at least I'm getting back to normal. I've been listening to Pride and Prejudice and have really enjoyed it so far. As encouragement I'll only listen to it when I walk.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I love walking. I also live on the campus of the largest university in the state of Maryland, so this is a good thing.

A week or so ago, I went on a hike with my friend in the woods. I was not aware, however, that she was the type to find following established trails "too restrictive", so we went bushwhacking against my better judgement and got completely lost. By the time we found the trail and wandered along until we came across a signpost with a map, it was a good three hours after we started! We had only planned to do a short recreational hike, but after a few other mishaps it turned out to be well over ten miles long. All in all, a great day, but one I'd rather not go through again. I'm planning the next hike.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm feeling really sick today and have a feeling walking will make it worse.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
How Many Calories Are You Really Burning? | From Runner's World

HOW MANY CALORIES ARE YOU REALLY BURNING?
If you think running and walking both torch the same number of calories per mile, you better put down that cookie.
By Amby Burfoot

From the August 2004 issue of Runner's World

A few months ago I got into an argument with someone who's far smarter than I am. I should have known better, but you know how these things go. Needless to say, I lost the argument. Still, I learned something important in the process.

David Swain is a bicyclist who likes to ride across the country every couple of years. Since I spend most of my time on my feet, I figured I could teach him something about walking and running. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to Swain's Ph.D. in exercise physiology, his position as director of the Wellness Institute and Research Center at Old Dominion University, and his work on the "Metabolic Calculations" appendix to the American College of Sports Medicine's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription.

Both Swain and I are interested in the fitness-health connection, which makes walking and running great subjects for discussion. To put it simply, they are far and away the leading forms of human movement. Every able-bodied human learns how to walk and run without any particular instruction. The same cannot be said of activities such as swimming, bicycling, skateboarding, and hitting a 3-iron. This is why walking and running are the best ways to get in shape, burn extra calories, and improve your health.

Our argument began when I told Swain that both walking and running burn the same number of calories per mile. I was absolutely certain of this fact for two unassailable reasons: (1) I had read it a billion times; and (2) I had repeated it a billion times. Most runners have heard that running burns about 100 calories a mile. And since walking a mile requires you to move the same body weight over the same distance, walking should also burn about 100 calories a mile. Sir Isaac Newton said so.

Swain was unimpressed by my junior-high physics. "When you perform a continuous exercise, you burn five calories for every liter of oxygen you consume," he said. "And running in general consumes a lot more oxygen than walking."

What the Numbers Show

I was still gathering my resources for a retort when a new article crossed my desk, and changed my cosmos. In "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," published last December in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, a group of Syracuse University researchers measured the actual calorie burn of 12 men and 12 women while running and walking 1,600 meters (roughly a mile) on a treadmill. Result: The men burned an average of 124 calories while running, and just 88 while walking; the women burned 105 and 74. (The men burned more than the women because they weighed more.)

Swain was right! The investigators at Syracuse didn't explain why their results differed from a simplistic interpretation of Newton's Laws of Motion, but I figured it out with help from Swain and Ray Moss, Ph.D., of Furman University. Running and walking aren't as comparable as I had imagined. When you walk, you keep your legs mostly straight, and your center of gravity rides along fairly smoothly on top of your legs. In running, we actually jump from one foot to the other. Each jump raises our center of gravity when we take off, and lowers it when we land, since we bend the knee to absorb the shock. This continual rise and fall of our weight requires a tremendous amount of Newtonian force (fighting gravity) on both takeoff and landing.

Now that you understand why running burns 50 percent more calories per mile than walking, I hate to tell you that it's a mostly useless number. Sorry. We mislead ourselves when we talk about the total calorie burn (TCB) of exercise rather than the net calorie burn (NCB). To figure the NCB of any activity, you must subtract the resting metabolic calories your body would have burned, during the time of the workout, even if you had never gotten off the sofa.

You rarely hear anyone talk about the NCB of workouts, because this is America, dammit, and we like our numbers big and bold. Subtraction is not a popular activity. Certainly not among the infomercial hucksters and weight-loss gurus who want to promote exercise schemes. "It's bizarre that you hear so much about the gross calorie burn instead of the net," says Swain. "It could keep people from realizing why they're having such a hard time losing weight."

Thanks to the Syracuse researchers, we now know the relative NCB of running a mile in 9:30 versus walking the same mile in 19:00. Their male subjects burned 105 calories running, 52 walking; the women, 91 and 43. That is, running burns twice as many net calories per mile as walking. And since you can run two miles in the time it takes to walk one mile, running burns four times as many net calories per hour as walking.

Run Slow or Walk Fast?

I didn't come here to bash walking, however. Walking is an excellent form of exercise that builds aerobic fitness, strengthens bones, and burns lots of calories. A study released in early 2004 showed that the Amish take about six times as many steps per day as adults in most American communities, and have about 87-percent lower rates of obesity.

In fact, I had read years ago that fast walking burns more calories than running at the same speed. Now was the time to test this hypothesis. Wearing a heart-rate monitor, I ran on a treadmill for two minutes at 3.0 mph (20 minutes per mile), and at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 mph (10:55 per mile). After a 10-minute rest to allow my heart rate to return to normal, I repeated the same thing walking. Here's my running vs. walking heart rate at the end of each two-minute stint: 3.0 (99/81), 3.5 (104/85), 4.0 (109/94), 4.5 (114/107), 5.0 (120/126), 5.5 (122/145). My conclusion: Running is harder than walking at paces slower than 12-minutes-per-mile. At faster paces, walking is harder than running.

How to explain this? It's not easy, except to say that walking at very fast speeds forces your body to move in ways it wasn't designed to move. This creates a great deal of internal "friction" and inefficiency, which boosts heart rate, oxygen consumption, and calorie burn. So, as Jon Stewart might say, "Walking fast...good. Walking slow...uh, not so much."

The bottom line: Running is a phenomenal calorie-burning exercise. In public-health terms--that is, in the fight against obesity--it's even more important that running is a low-cost, easy-to-do, year-round activity. Walking doesn't burn as many calories, but it remains a terrific exercise. As David Swain says, "The new research doesn't mean that walking burns any fewer calories than it used to. It just means that walkers might have to walk a little more, or eat a little less, to hit their weight goal."

What's the Burn? A Calorie Calculator
You can use the formulas below to determine your calorie-burn while running and walking. The "Net Calorie Burn" measures calories burned, minus basal metabolism. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise. The walking formulas apply to speeds of 3 to 4 mph. At 5 mph and faster, walking burns more calories than running.

Your Total Calorie Burn/Mile

Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile
Running

.75 x your weight (in lbs.)

.63 x your weight
Walking

.53 x your weight

.30 x your weight
Adapted from "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running,"

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, only .8 miles, too much dizzy/chestpain/stumbly to get anything done. I probably won't eat dinner, either.

Here are reasons I prefer walking to running:

1. I enjoy walking. I can't say the same for running.

2. Running causes me intense knee pain, walking doesn't.

3. Running causes me intense ankle pain, walking doesn't (most of the time).

4. Running causes me intense lung/chest pain, walking doesn't.

5. It's easier to carry stuff walking than running.

6. I can walk faster than I can run.

7. I can walk many, many, many times what I can run, at least 80 times more, without needing to rest.

8. I get panic attacks when I run, I don't when I'm walking.

9. When my saliva thickens with running, it clogs my throat and bubbles out my mouth and nose.

10. Life is not a race. Why run?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ahhh, I love walking also. IMO, anyone who actually likes running is crazy.

lol

I Use to hate running but its one of those things that the more you do it, the more you like. You have to force yourself to run in the beginning.

/DG/

I Use to hate running but its one of those things that the more you do it, the more you like. You have to force yourself to run in the beginning.
Well, I will admit... running gives you a sense of accomplishment. But still... :thumbdown:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love walking. When I go to the beach one of my favorite things to do is walk on the endless beach and think about everything.

Mole

Permabanned
As I walk around Canberra I look at the faces of those I pass. The unhappiest faces are those driving motor cars. The next unhappiest are runners. And the next unhappiest are cyclists. And the happiest faces I see are walkers.

And we are so happy, we often stop and pass the time of day, making us even happier.

The happiest kingdom of all is the kingdom of walkers.