• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Knee Pain after jogging

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
any one experience this? and what can i do to make it stop. I swear climbing up stairs lately my knees are screaming god no, please no, god! Is their any stretches I can do or anything at all? well at least I no longer want to commit suicide after exercising so that's an improvement.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
it's important to listen to your body. it could be a myriad of things.
your weight impacting your knees? high levels of acid?
running on an improper track?

proper running surfaces help the knee joint to perform smoothly.
the pain may be caused from irritated muscles and ligaments.

quad work (leg extensions) help. also cutting back and observing
where it is that you're going wrong. also maintaining a healthy
diet is always good, fruit/vegs - cutting down high acid foods.

hope this helps.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I invariably experience an intense bout of psychosomatic knee pain BEFORE jogging. In fact, it's so bad that it makes taking part in the activity quite impossible, so I always have a good lie down instead, and read a book or something to take my mind off it.

I find that this approach is immeasurably good for my psychic and physical health. Apart from the immediate pre-jogging pain, I experience no adverse symptoms whatsoever from my participation in the activity, which I think is something that can be said of few other regular joggers.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
My experience on this...
I used to run a mile everyday. Gradually, I began to feel intense pain in my knees, with each step. It has never subsided, but certain things make it go haywire, such as sitting cross-legged. I have been taking Tri-Flex, by GNC for 4 months, and any days without it feel like pure hell. It contains MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin. These are all aids in joint mobility and flexibility. I noticed a difference after 3 days or less. It has been a miracle. I find I am more irritable and tired without it.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
On a more serious note than my previous post, do you walk much, or do other exercises that affect the leg muscles, or just jog? And what kinds of surfaces do you jog on?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
On a more serious note than my previous post, do you walk much, or do other exercises that affect the leg muscles, or just jog? And what kinds of surfaces do you jog on?

I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Glucosamine and chondroitin stuff is great for stiff joints and can only help.

Where is the pain? If it's inside or outside the knee you could be pronating or supinating and therefore should invest in a better pair of shoes. Go to a specialty running store where the workers are runners themselves. (i.e. no Foot Locker type stores) and they will spend a good amount of time finding the right shoe for you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I need new shoes, i've been meaning to go buy some, the threads are totally gone on them and theirs holes. I wouldn't be suprised at all if it's the shoes.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere.

That's good ;) Tbh if you walk a LOT it may be better exercise than jogging, especially if you have to jog on hard surfaces a lot, which puts extra strain on the knees. Have you considered "Power Walking?" as an alternative to jogging, at least temporarily? It doesn't have the impact problems associated with jogging, and is still decent aerobic exercise.

Either way, some kind of muscle stretching is essential, remember that running and jogging only tighten the muscles, whereas walking and stretching exercises help to loosen and lengthen them. Even walking faster and taking bigger strides than most people are in the habit of doing can produce benefits in this regard. Otherwise warmup exercises to loosen the muscles before jogging are the way to go if you want to continue doing it. Tight muscles just aggravate joint strain. You may get muscle damage too which leads to reduced flexibility, hence further problems in future.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's good ;) Tbh if you walk a LOT it may be better exercise than jogging, especially if you have to jog on hard surfaces a lot, which puts extra strain on the knees. Have you considered "Power Walking?" as an alternative to jogging, at least temporarily? It doesn't have the impact problems associated with jogging, and is still decent aerobic exercise.

Either way, some kind of muscle stretching is essential, remember that running and jogging only tighten the muscles, whereas walking and stretching exercises help to loosen and lengthen them. Even walking faster and taking bigger strides than most people are in the habit of doing can produce benefits in this regard. Otherwise warmup exercises to loosen the muscles before jogging are the way to go if you want to continue doing it. Tight muscles just aggravate joint strain. You may get muscle damage too which leads to reduced flexibility, hence further problems in future.
I do stretch before and after jogging, and i do warm up i was able to jog more today but then my knee started screaming in pain and i felt like i could keep going if my knee wasn't hurting. but I usually jog three blocks in the beginning but today i do 4 then i walk a block jog a block but i think i did more jogging then walking today. And by walk i mean a power walk.

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
TMUSCLE.com | Hips Don't Lie: Fixing Your Force Couples

The reason most people have knee pain (as well as other common injuries such as low back pain and hamstring strains) is their posture is out of wack.

In particular the majority of people are in anterior pelvic tilt because we live such sedentary lifestyles. Basically anterior pelvic tilt is caused because the hip extensors are weak and the hip flexors are tight which is developed from sitting posture (...even 'good' sitting posture). To correct it you basically want to focus on improving the length (stretching) of the hip flexors and quadriceps and improving strength of the gluteals, hamstrings and abdominals to achieve a neutral pelvis (exercises are mentioned in the article I linked above). When people go and play sport or do some other high impact exercise like running, without doing anything to correct APT and repeat it enough they're just asking for trouble in the way of knee pain, lower back pain, hamstring strains etc.

There are some good authors that address corrective exercise topics well - in particular I'd recommend reading Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson and Mike Boyle's material as they all write in an easy to understand and very engaging manner.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it turns out my knee pain is somewhat genetic. And my mom said she has the same kind of knee problem and that a stretchy thing that goes over the knee helps her and she told me to go buy one and put it on so my knee can heal then after that every time I exercise.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You really should go to an orthopedist just once to get a professional opinion and an xray to see what's going on in there. Don't keep running on it, even with a knee brace, is my advice (free, gratis, and for what it's worth). (I just spent two months recovering from total knee replacement surgery...)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I had the same problem in my right knee, until I changed how I stretched it. Now I sit on the floor and touch my right foot with my left hand. This has made a big difference, and reduced the pain a lot.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
First of all, get it checked out. You don't want to mess with your joints... I've never had knee problems (knock on wood), but my right wrist is finicky and I'm always careful with it.

Second, try incline power walking. It has a lower impact than jogging, but should still get your heart rate up just as much.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Seriously, Purple, take heed of what you're hearing from people here. Jogging (especially on a hard surface) is one of the highest-impact forms of exercise on the knees that there is, if not the highest. If you're getting problems as bad as this I'm not sure if it's worth continuing with the activity, especially if your main reason for doing it is to feel you're getting some exercise. There are many other ways to exercise yourself (including power walking) which have similar beneficial effects without risking your long term health and mobility. :yes:

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
As others have said, trust your body.

"No pain, no gain" may be catchy, but I believe the myriad of serious athletic injuries in the pursuit of "gain" should be quite sufficient to dispel this dogma, especially in this modern era.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you getting enough potassium? Whenever I feel some kind of joint pain I go find a banana to eat and I'm totally fine.