• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it bad to use exercise to punish one's self?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am wondering, is it bad to use exercise to punish one's self if there is no way for you to enjoy it?

I mean, at least then it's happening, right? :workout:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think "punish" is too strong of a word...if you think of it in terms of punishment, or that you're "bad" or weak or whatever negative self-talk you doing...then you're never going to enjoy exercise and that's a very unhealthy way to look at it.

On the other hand, self-discipline is a somewhat necessary part of life, especially when it comes to one's health.

Do you see the difference?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think "punish" is too strong of a word...if you think of it in terms of punishment, or that you're "bad" or weak or whatever negative self-talk you doing...then you're never going to enjoy exercise and that's a very unhealthy way to look at it.

On the other hand, self-discipline is a somewhat necessary part of life, especially when it comes to one's health.

Do you see the difference?

No, not at all.

I've been sitting here sobbing hysterically and having a panic attack and saying I'm dying and in such horrible pain and the first thing I think is I need to get back on that fucking treadmill to make it worse.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Exercise is a liberator by investing in yourself. By thinking that exercise is a means to limit freedom, as punishment, there will be a cognitive dissonance and will create more problems.

Imagine what happens if you thought learning was a form of punishment.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Exercise is a liberator by investing in yourself. By thinking that exercise is a means to limit freedom, as punishment, there will be a cognitive dissonance and will create more problems.

Imagine what happens if you thought learning was a form of punishment.

Exercise always has been a form of punishment, though.

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yes, it's bad to use exercise as punishment. Find some kind of exercise that you enjoy doing. You're not going to do it if you don't find it enjoyable. Whether it's dancing, walking, doing yoga, playing a team sport, swimming, jogging, biking...find something that you enjoy spending time doing. For me, I like hitting a little ball against a backstop with some kind of hand-held item. And I prefer to do it alone, without a team mate (I tend to prefer solitary exercise). This means that my kind of exercise is either hitting a tennis ball against a backstop on my own, or raquetball court on my own, not playing against another player, but just testing my own mettle by playing against myself.

I also have to admit that I like repetitious, mindless exercise where I don't need to expend a lot of thought. This usually means solitary exercise on a treadmill or stationery bike at the gym. I know this is not the preferred method of exercise for many people, but it works for me, so that's what I do. I pop in my iPod earbuds, zone out to some great music and not think about anything for a change. So what kind of exercise do you enjoy doing?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yes, it's bad to use exercise as punishment. Find some kind of exercise that you enjoy doing. You're not going to do it if you don't find it enjoyable. Whether it's dancing, walking, doing yoga, playing a team sport, swimming, jogging, biking...find something that you enjoy spending time doing. For me, I like hitting a little ball against a backstop with some kind of hand-held item. And I prefer to do it alone, without a team mate (I tend to prefer solitary exercise). This means that my kind of exercise is either hitting a tennis ball against a backstop on my own, or raquetball court on my own, not playing against another player, but just testing my own mettle by playing against myself.

I also have to admit that I like repetitious, mindless exercise where I don't need to expend a lot of thought. This usually means solitary exercise on a treadmill or stationery bike at the gym. I know this is not the preferred method of exercise for many people, but it works for me, so that's what I do. I pop in my iPod earbuds, zone out to some great music and not think about anything for a change. So what kind of exercise do you enjoy doing?

I've tried and hated everything.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What are you punishing yourself for? Sounds kinky.

I'm a bad, bad naughty girrrrrl~

I mean, for eating. And being afraid. And not exercising enough. And being a wimp. And living. And etc. There's always something that deserves punishment.

I dunno, maybe I should just skip the exercise and go straight to S&M? No, that might be too enjoyable. Better stick with the exercise.

oxyjen

MBTI Type
INtP
But I've been existing and eating and being afraid and totally wasn't aware I needed to self-flagellate! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME.

Hap, I think you're on to something about skipping the exercise. Becoming a sub or dom is optional.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
But I've been existing and eating and being afraid and totally wasn't aware I needed to self-flagellate! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME.

You didn't? I guess it's up to me to spread the word, then.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Punishment is best to give, and not receive. :laugh:

oxyjen

MBTI Type
INtP
You didn't? I guess it's up to me to spread the word, then.

Ok. Now I will punish myself, although I can see a lot of instances where I might not punish myself so then I will punish myself for not punishing myself.

If I don't punish myself, then I will probably won't punish myself. Ugh.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I mean, how are you supposed to enjoy exercising when there is absolutely no forms of exercise that you enjoy?

You can't. So you have to use it for another purpose besides enjoyment.