• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it bad to use exercise to punish one's self?

Red October

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am wondering, is it bad to use exercise to punish one's self if there is no way for you to enjoy it?

I mean, at least then it's happening, right? :workout:
Exercise isn't punishment.

How is there no way to enjoy it? I used to be extremely nonathletic. Then I realized people weren't just born athletes, there is no unwritten rule someone that appears pretty nerdy as me can't be healthy and exercise. Its surprisingly fun, and you get the satisfaction of knowing a lot of people don't know about this fun secret.

I run and lift weights. Just listen to some intense music and get into it. I always feel great after lifting, and I love being tired at the end of the day.

I typically run when the sun shines hottest and its humid in the middle of the day. I love that its so brutal and hard. I compare it to life as a whole. Life is brutal and hard, and how do I want to approach it?

Fearlessly, tirelessly, and maybe even viciously. So that is how I approach my running. Relentlessly and fearlessly. Am I sweating madly and want to quit half a mile in? Yes, but I'm sure America wasn't built because the patriots gave up halfway, so I won't either. Am I scared I'm going to pass out in this heat? Yeah, but thats being fearful and making an excuse. Excuses are for people who fail at their goals and don't want to man up to it, I don't want to be like that, so I won't be that way in my run. I also don't want to go through life being fearful. Fear is an excuse. I'm sure Alexander the great was fearful of venturing into India, but I'm also sure he didn't let that fear deter him from greater glory. So I won't either.

See where I'm going with this motivation thing? Just have fun with it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Life is brutal and hard, that's why I'm killing myself through dehydration.

30 oz fluids, 750 calories.

You're going to have to try better than that, Reddy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Life is brutal and hard, that's why I'm killing myself through dehydration.

30 oz fluids, 750 calories.

You're going to have to try better than that, Reddy.

I think you have an eating/body image disorder and may need professional help.

I'm not going to reply to your threads on diet/exercise anymore, because I am very concerned for your health and don't want to give you bad advice.

I really hope you talk to a professional who can get you through this.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So that is why you drink lots and lots of water. Its about fighting the hardness back, not letting it win.

Drinking water is easy, not drinking it is hard.

It's really hard. Your body wants it so badly but you have to refuse it.

It's kind of like exercise, only I find this less painful. Or maybe more. I don't know, I should be doing them both at the same time. You know, not taking care of myself, and then punishing myself for not taking care of myself.

Red October

MBTI Type
INTJ
Drinking water is easy, not drinking it is hard.

It's really hard. Your body wants it so badly but you have to refuse it.

It's kind of like exercise, only I find this less painful. Or maybe more. I don't know, I should be doing them both at the same time. You know, not taking care of myself, and then punishing myself for not taking care of myself.

I'm incredibly confused. Why do you have to refuse it. You should be drinking water. You're not making any sense.

You have a vague idea of what you should do, eat a balanced diet and run. You don't need a set in stone plan. Just make good decisions. Choose non fried chicken over fried, choose water over pop or alcohol, choosing running over TV or knitting not matter how painful it is.

Yeah it might be hard, but that's half the fun in life. Beating the hard challenges. See what I mean?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm incredibly confused. Why do you have to refuse it. You should be drinking water. You're not making any sense.

You have a vague idea of what you should do, eat a balanced diet and run. You don't need a set in stone plan. Just make good decisions. Choose non fried chicken over fried, choose water over pop or alcohol, choosing running over TV or knitting not matter how painful it is.

Yeah it might be hard, but that's half the fun in life. Beating the hard challenges. See what I mean?

I can't tell the difference between exercise pain and sick pain and somatization pain. They're all the exact same pain, so I don't see why I can't do something different that's painful, like dehydration. People keep telling me so many different things on pain. It's good it's bad it's normal it's abnormal when they're all exactly the same.

Or maybe that's wrong.

Exercise is so singularly painful, much more painful than all the cramping and infections I'm prone to combined. The "good" pains are so much more horrible than the bad ones.