• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

depressed after exercising?

depressed after exercising

• Total voters

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If you're on any kind of brain chemistry meds maybe it's messing something up there. Exercise may tire you out, but it's not supposed to make you feel sad.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It might be because of your diet. The body craves certain things after a workout like glucose, so if you have low blood sugar or not enough of other nutrients, your body might be responding with depression.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm also wondering if I just started working out regularly 2 weeks ago if this will stop if i keep at it?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After any type of workout I feel amazing.

Is there any chance that medication you are taking interferes with the natural exercise/endorphin effect?

Seriously.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It could have to do with trained response. What were your gym teachers like when you were younger?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i hate physical activity it had nothing to do with the teachers. and i'm uncoordinated so when i was young i'd embarrass myself by being uncoordinated.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
i hate physical activity it had nothing to do with the teachers. and i'm uncoordinated so when i was young i'd embarrass myself by being uncoordinated.

And you're not still uncoordinated when you exercise?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i always weasled out of gym class, or i just skipped it.

You are an animal.

You must learn to enjoy exercise for the purpsoe of keeping your body and mind healthy.

Human beings were not designed to sit in air conditioned houses and wallow in their own self pity, or watch TV, or surf the web until the end of time.

(1) Make the choice to get through this.
(2) Train as hard as you need to in order to reach a performance based goal.
(3) Then when you reach the goal, tell me how you feel. I'll bet you feel pretty damn good.

If you just go to the gym, or workout outside, with no real goals in mind, then all you do (especially if you are not into exercise to begin with) is tire yourself and then focus on your sore little muscles the day after.

Your attitude is as much a part of your feeling good or bad as the exercise.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Are you sure about that, Halla?

I can't even do mild exercise without my heart rate skyrocketing in fear.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You are an animal.

You must learn to enjoy exercise for the purpsoe of keeping your body and mind healthy.

Human beings were not designed to sit in air conditioned houses and wallow in their own self pity, or watch TV, or surf the web until the end of time.

(1) Make the choice to get through this.
(2) Train as hard as you need to in order to reach a performance based goal.
(3) Then when you reach the goal, tell me how you feel. I'll bet you feel pretty damn good.

If you just go to the gym, or workout outside, with no real goals in mind, then all you do (especially if you are not into exercise to begin with) is tire yourself and then focus on your sore little muscles the day after.

Your attitude is as much a part of your feeling good or bad as the exercise.
I have a goal in mind, for when my metabolism slows down i'll be use to exercise so i don't become fat and get puppies and small children lost in my fat folds (this is an actual fear of mine)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have a goal in mind, for when my metabolism slows down i'll be use to exercise so i don't become fat and get puppies and small children lost in my fat folds (this is an actual fear of mine)

You made me giggle, just a little.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Your goal is not performance based, as I recommended.

Running a mile in 6 minutes or less, that is performance based.

Being able to squat your body weight for ten strict repetitions is a performance based goal.

Mitigating baseless anxiety is not a performance based goal.

Good luck with your fitness endeavors.

I leave you with this final advice, you will get out of exercise what you put into it. Doing anything half assed hardly ever yields results worth talking about. Giving something your best effort however, that is an angle that can yield awe inspiring results. The choice of how you wish to exercise, how you wish to look, and how you wish to feel are yours. Make the choice and live with the outcome. :pumpyouup:

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Your goal is not performance based, as I recommended.

Running a mile in 6 minutes or less, that is performance based.

Being able to squat your body weight for ten strict repetitions is a performance based goal.

Mitigating baseless anxiety is not a performance based goal.

Good luck with your fitness endeavors.

I leave you with this final advice, you will get out of exercise what you put into it. Doing anything half assed hardly ever yields results worth talking about. Giving something your best effort however, that is an angle that can yield awe inspiring results. The choice of how you wish to exercise, how you wish to look, and how you wish to feel are yours. Make the choice and live with the outcome. :pumpyouup:

uh, don't choose those goals, especially if you're new to exercising, you'll get discouraged and/or injured.

I'd suggest try jogging or biking in a park that you enjoy. There are a lot of exercises out there, find the ones that make you happy or that you can adapt to be situations that make you happy (like if you jogged in a place you enjoy being.) Don't focus on lofty goals but little goals instead. Like if you're jogging on a track, focus on running one lap, then two, then three, etc. These kind of goals give you a fairly quick reward to give you more enthusiasm to keep going whereas if you set a large distant goal then it will always appear to be a long ways away and it's easier to get discouraged.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A lot of times I feel great after I exercise, and I don't relate to feeling depressed, though I have gotten dizzy or weak afterwards if I wasn't eating properly...I wonder if you might be overexercising? Yes/no? Sometimes that makes me feel tense or like I might be getting sick if I don't give my body enough rest.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
uh, don't choose those goals, especially if you're new to exercising, you'll get discouraged and/or injured.

I wasn't endorsing those goals, merely using them as examples of PERFORMANCE BASED GOALS.

For people that are totally uncomfortable with learning how to exercise I have always been of the opinion that spending some time and money with a personal trainer is time and money well spent. They know how to take someone from zero to fit, and work with them to customize a regimen that is attainable, and enjoyable enough to be adhered to perpetually, instead of being dropped immediately after the work with the trainer is done.

Whether working with a trainer or not though, you must push yourself. If you don't you will never progress. You just have to push yourself approrpiately considering what your current state of fitness is.